new Flat Panel Display technology?

Post by Dana Ecka » Wed, 15 Dec 1993 00:03:30

I thought I remembered reading somewhere (Scientific American?) about a new
technique under investigation that would have little cones of silicon (?)
material arranged in a matrix of pixels that would implement an active display
directly on a wafer.  Unfortunately I haven't been able to locate the article.
Has anyone else heard of this?  Please e-mail me.  Thanks in advance...

--
J Dana Eckart                   | It's so nice to be insane,

Post by Bob Mye » Wed, 15 Dec 1993 05:56:17

> I thought I remembered reading somewhere (Scientific American?) about a new
> technique under investigation that would have little cones of silicon (?)
> material arranged in a matrix of pixels that would implement an active display
> directly on a wafer.  Unfortunately I haven't been able to locate the article.
> Has anyone else heard of this?  Please e-mail me.  Thanks in advance...

This isn't exactly a new technology, but it has yet to be commercialized.
What you are describing is a field-emission display; the "cones" are electron
emitters (i.e., "Spindt cathodes") which are used to drive conventional
CRT phosphors located on the upper glass.  There are a large number of
emitters per pixel, giving reasonably uniform characteristics and reducing
problems with single-emitter defects.

Bob Myers  KC0EW   Hewlett-Packard Co.     |Opinions expressed here are not
                   Advanced Systems Div.   |those of my employer or any other

1. US flat panel display consortium

The front page of the Washington Post today carried a story of great
importance.  It appears as if DARPA and a number of American firms are
going to attempt to put together a consortium to produce the flat panel
screens which will shortly be seen on increasing numbers of computers and
even in use for TV screens.

Until now, the Japanese have dominated this field despite the inventions
involved being all American.  The article mentions that they have been selling
these devices below the actual cost of production in North America.  The same
old game:  use the vast market of the United States as a springboard.  Sell
at or slightly below cost here, destroy American industry, and at the same time
generate so huge an economy of scale of production that you more than make
up the difference selling everywhere else, especially in Asia and more
especially in Japan.  A nation which allows a foreign power to do this shouldn't
even have an army, a navy, or an air force;  they should just hand over the
keys.  That Reagan and Bush never figured this game out or tried to do any
thing about it will probably consign them to the same page in history books
as Neville Chamberlain.

It would probably be a very good idea for evrybody in the computer industry
in the US to write their representatives voicing support for this move.  It
might just could go into the books as a turning point for the struggle in
which we are now engaged, much as Midway served as such a turning point
50 years ago.

Ted Holden
HTE

--
Ted Holden
HTE

2. CheckIt Net Optimizer: tunes your modem? Anybody tried this one?

3. DEC FLAT PANEL DISPLAY MONITOR!!!!! And More........

4. printing problems with access & hp 840c

5. Silicon Graphics 1600SW Flat Panel

6. Possible Pocket PC Virus

7. Flat Displays and Portable Computers

8. adapter to use IBM keyboard on sun?

9. Request for info on touch panel displays

10. Display Panels in AI Supercomputers

11. Appropriate Technology and Panels

12. New Music Meets New Technology Symposium July 16 - 18

13. Displaying DX* applications on Sun OW3.0 SunOS 4.1.3 Display SLOOOOWWWWW