Disabling Protected mode CD-ROM driver under Windows95

Disabling Protected mode CD-ROM driver under Windows95

Post by ipc1 » Thu, 28 Mar 1996 04:00:00

I have a requirement to use the real-mode driver & MSCDEX to configure my Panasonic
CD-ROM under Windows95. I am launching the real-mode driver from config.sys and the
real-mode (ver2.25) MSCDEX from autoexec.bat. Yet, after Win95 comes up the MSCDEX
version is 2.95 and also the protected  mode driver is up and running.

I would like to know the procedure to safely & properly use my real-mode driver.

Currently the only way I am able to get the real-mode drivers is by renaming the
ESDI_506.PDR in the Windows95\system\iosubsys directory. Doing this, I will not see
my CD-ROM in the Device Manager. Also the Primary & Secondary IDE drivers show up
with a bang (!) -- some conflict, hence disabled.

Definitely, what I am doing is not THE solution. Can anyone out here suggest
something more correct?

Thanx,
Jaideep Shah

Disabling Protected mode CD-ROM driver under Windows95

Post by riccr.. » Thu, 28 Mar 1996 04:00:00

stood:

Quote:>I have a requirement to use the real-mode driver & MSCDEX to configure my Panasonic
>CD-ROM under Windows95. I am launching the real-mode driver from config.sys and the
>real-mode (ver2.25) MSCDEX from autoexec.bat. Yet, after Win95 comes up the MSCDEX
>version is 2.95 and also the protected  mode driver is up and running.

>I would like to know the procedure to safely & properly use my real-mode driver.

>Currently the only way I am able to get the real-mode drivers is by renaming the
>ESDI_506.PDR in the Windows95\system\iosubsys directory. Doing this, I will not see
>my CD-ROM in the Device Manager. Also the Primary & Secondary IDE drivers show up
>with a bang (!) -- some conflict, hence disabled.

>Definitely, what I am doing is not THE solution. Can anyone out here suggest
>something more correct?

Go into device manager, click on the plus next to the cdrom and make
it a minus, highlight the cdrom under the cdrom group, go to
properties, uncheck the original configuration, reboot, now ther is a
big red x next to it. You will be running the real mode drivers only,
and when you want the protected mode driver recheck the original
configuration, warning, using the real mode cdrom drivers probably
will have windows running in msdos mode and will slow the system down.
Hope this helps.

Quote:

>Thanx,
>Jaideep Shah

             Ric Crowe Seattle,Wa.  USA

             URL   "http://www.accessone.com:80/~riccrowe/"

Disabling Protected mode CD-ROM driver under Windows95

Post by ipc1 » Fri, 29 Mar 1996 04:00:00

Ric Crowe's reply was given a shot (not like the one from one of his F-16s though)
Bang! Bang! Bang!

But unfortunately the target was just a mirage in the dessert.

My Windows95 installation is an OEM version, and does not display the Original Configuration
check box under the Properties page.

If it does help resolve the issue, I would like to add that my CD-ROM is an IDE drive and
configured as Secondary Master IDE.

So, what next? I would not like this to be the end of the road, as I sinceeeeeerrrreeeely
believe the road meets the sky in the distance.

Also note that the CD-ROM driver is not a member of the safe list of replaceable real mode
drivers  ( not listed in IOS.INI ).

Thanx again,
Jaideep

Post by Huang Hock Yiun » Fri, 29 Mar 1996 04:00:00

: Ric Crowe's reply was given a shot (not like the one from one of his F-16s though)
: Bang! Bang! Bang!

: But unfortunately the target was just a mirage in the dessert.

: My Windows95 installation is an OEM version, and does not display the Original Configuration
: check box under the Properties page.

: If it does help resolve the issue, I would like to add that my CD-ROM is an IDE drive and
: configured as Secondary Master IDE.

: So, what next? I would not like this to be the end of the road, as I sinceeeeeerrrreeeely
: believe the road meets the sky in the distance.

: Also note that the CD-ROM driver is not a member of the safe list of replaceable real mode
: drivers  ( not listed in IOS.INI ).

Have you try installing the Intel Bus Master IDE controller miniport driver
(ideatapi.mpd) ? With this driver, you should be able to connect your IDE CDROM
as Secondary Master IDE. You don't need the real-mode driver. The CDROM works
both as a data drive and a audio cd player.

Hope this help.

: Thanx again,
: Jaideep

Disabling Protected mode CD-ROM driver under Windows95

Post by I. PAPANIKOLAO » Fri, 29 Mar 1996 04:00:00

Have you tried disabling the virtual driver? I cannot remember exactly (the
machine that I have that uses 95 is at home), but go to SYSTEM (from the
CONTROL PANEL). On the bottom of the page there should be some buttons. Go to
the last one (i.e. the one to the right). It should bring up a preference
meny that disables certain things such as virtual drivers (I think).
Alternatively (and I know this one works) go to your Windows initiation file
(win.ini). There should be a section on virtual drivers. Find the CD-ROM
driver and disable it by altering the value (i.e. if it is Yes -> No , if it
is 1 -> 0 etc.)

Hope this works. Anyway, I will have a poke around my system and see if I
come up with anything else.

Iraklis

Post by Gordon McAndre » Fri, 29 Mar 1996 04:00:00

> Ric Crowe's reply was given a shot (not like the one from one of his F-16s though)
> Bang! Bang! Bang!

> But unfortunately the target was just a mirage in the dessert.

> My Windows95 installation is an OEM version, and does not display the Original Configuration
> check box under the Properties page.

> If it does help resolve the issue, I would like to add that my CD-ROM is an IDE drive and
> configured as Secondary Master IDE.

> So, what next? I would not like this to be the end of the road, as I sinceeeeeerrrreeeely
> believe the road meets the sky in the distance.

> Also note that the CD-ROM driver is not a member of the safe list of replaceable real mode
> drivers  ( not listed in IOS.INI ).

> Thanx again,
> Jaideep

OK here is another shot<g>

  Remove the CD-ROM in Device Manager.  Simple right<g>  The will let the real-mode drivers
work from config.sys and autoexec.bat.  The CD-ROM will be running in ms-dos mode but all the
rest will be in normal 32-bit protected mode.  It does not slow the system down.  Just eats up
conventional memory.

  If you want to reinstall later go to Control Panel | Add New Hardware | don't let it search
| pick the CD-ROM drive out of the list.

  It might find new hardware if you remove the lines from config.sys and autoexec.bat.

Post by k.. » Mon, 01 Apr 1996 04:00:00

>I have a requirement to use the real-mode driver & MSCDEX to configure my Panasonic
>CD-ROM under Windows95. I am launching the real-mode driver from config.sys and the
>real-mode (ver2.25) MSCDEX from autoexec.bat. Yet, after Win95 comes up the MSCDEX
>version is 2.95 and also the protected  mode driver is up and running.
>I would like to know the procedure to safely & properly use my real-mode driver.
>Currently the only way I am able to get the real-mode drivers is by renaming the
>ESDI_506.PDR in the Windows95\system\iosubsys directory. Doing this, I will not see
>my CD-ROM in the Device Manager. Also the Primary & Secondary IDE drivers show up
>with a bang (!) -- some conflict, hence disabled.
>Definitely, what I am doing is not THE solution. Can anyone out here suggest
>something more correct?
>Thanx,
>Jaideep Shah

   You should be able to do this by removing the cdrom controller
driver and  cdrom device driver in the device manager. Then win95 will
use the drivers loaded from your config.sys and autoexec.bat. This
worked on my system without any problems.

1. CD-ROM driver disables hard drive!

I have to load my CD-ROM driver by booting from a floppy - and it's very
annoying!

I'm running my CD-Rom driver through my sound card, so I thought this
might be the cause of the problem:

When I load the driver, it causes the system to not be able to read
anything on the HD (so it can't run program, such as command.com - that's
why I have to boot off the floppy)

In this condition, when I do a DIR on the HD, I get gibberish. But that
one DIR reenables the HD, initializes it somehow. I can now run programs,
and a DIR works fine.

So the autoexec on the floppy has a Dir in it, and that solves the
problem, sort of.

But - I'd like to get past this makeshift solution. The tech support of
the CD-Rom company can't help at all, they're clueless.

So, any Ideas? I though perhaps I'd buy an IDE slave cable, and run the
CD-Rom through my HD. (it is, of course, IDE)

Thanks beforehand for any Help!!!!!

********* Personal Computer Consulting***********
***************Avi Flax, President********************

2. Drop-down for Start Menu

3. FS: MIDI File CD-ROM & Wave CD-ROM

4. newbie question: CPU Registers and Cache Memory?

5. disabling CD-ROM

6. Backups problem...

7. OPTI 82c924 and Sony CD-ROM Drivers ????

8. Wizard OZ640- help, can't get make it stop!

9. CD-ROM DRIVERS FOR VMS

10. Do you have a SONY CDU33a CD-ROM DOS driver?

11. IBM aptiva cd-rom driver

12. SCO Xenix/UNIX Driver for Hitachi CDR 1700S CD-ROM