Looking for OS to meet general requirements, need advice

Looking for OS to meet general requirements, need advice

Post by Peter Nelso » Thu, 30 May 1996 04:00:00

I'm working on a simulation package comprising ten different
nodes, interconnected via wireless modem. Each modem is restricted to
transmitting only during specified intervals.  In order to keep
everything running smoothly, all ten nodes respond to the constant
pinging of a timer, ensuring that everything stays synchronized.

        Currently the nodes are running of x86 based processors in a dos
environment.  This makes some of the code very difficult to write
however, as timing is critical.  I am looking for a replacement OS,
something that I can embed with a kernel ideally less than 2 megs.  The
big requirements are that it is a realtime OS.  I need to be able to
specify a certain action to take place in .35 seconds, and have it
actually take place in .35 seconds.  I'm looking into qnx, but have not
gotten anywhere else.  Obviously something with a c or c++ cross
complier available is also a requirement.  Something along the lines of
a scaled down version of NT would be beautiful, but I realize that that
probably isn't an option...  Any help or advise that you can give would
be greatly appreciated.  I can be reached at:

(415) 859-3915

and will continue to check this newsgroup for the next couple of days to
see if there are any replies.  Additionally, after June 1, I should also
be able to accept e-mail responses at:

Thank you for your time in helping me with this.

                                Peter Nelson
                                SRI International

Post by CsO » Thu, 30 May 1996 04:00:00

|                                  ...I am looking for a replacement OS,
|something that I can embed with a kernel ideally less than 2 megs.  The
|big requirements are that it is a realtime OS...
Try
<http://www.microware.com/os9t3.html>

Post by lsv.. » Thu, 30 May 1996 04:00:00

>I'm working on a simulation package comprising ten different
>nodes, interconnected via wireless modem. Each modem is restricted to
>transmitting only during specified intervals.  In order to keep
>everything running smoothly, all ten nodes respond to the constant
>pinging of a timer, ensuring that everything stays synchronized.

>    Currently the nodes are running of x86 based processors in a dos
>environment.  This makes some of the code very difficult to write
>however, as timing is critical.  I am looking for a replacement OS,
>something that I can embed with a kernel ideally less than 2 megs.  The
>big requirements are that it is a realtime OS.  I need to be able to
>specify a certain action to take place in .35 seconds, and have it
>actually take place in .35 seconds.  I'm looking into qnx, but have not
>gotten anywhere else.  Obviously something with a c or c++ cross
>complier available is also a requirement.  Something along the lines of
>a scaled down version of NT would be beautiful, but I realize that that
>probably isn't an option...  Any help or advise that you can give would
>be greatly appreciated.  I can be reached at:

>(415) 859-3915

>and will continue to check this newsgroup for the next couple of days to
>see if there are any replies.  Additionally, after June 1, I should also
>be able to accept e-mail responses at:

>Thank you for your time in helping me with this.

>                            Peter Nelson
>                            SRI International

Well, first, what are you doing in comp.lang.cobol? is your programs written
in cobol? probably not.  Anyway, the OS you need also depends on your other
requirements: file handling, locking, communication support, etc.
Assuming that you have no other requirements than brute speed, there is
a solution (see below).  You must write your program in MASM though because
the OS does not support filehandling (yet?).
Ok, now the solution: I wrote several years ago a nano-kernel (less than 1K)
that allows an unlimited number of real-time processes to switch 50,000-
100,000 times per second.  Response can be assured with a fraction of a
millisecond.
Let me know if this is too barebones for you?
Leif Svalgaard

Looking for OS to meet general requirements, need advice

Post by James Youngm » Fri, 31 May 1996 04:00:00

The C Executive runs under x86-based PC as well as lots of otyher platforms.
The kernel fits in about 30K.  Search the Web for "JMI".

Looking for OS to meet general requirements, need advice

Post by Terry Carm » Fri, 31 May 1996 04:00:00

Quote:

>I'm working on a simulation package comprising ten different
>nodes, interconnected via wireless modem. Each modem is restricted to
>transmitting only during specified intervals.  In order to keep
>everything running smoothly, all ten nodes respond to the constant
>pinging of a timer, ensuring that everything stays synchronized.

>        Currently the nodes are running of x86 based processors in a dos
>environment.  This makes some of the code very difficult to write
>however, as timing is critical.  I am looking for a replacement OS,
>something that I can embed with a kernel ideally less than 2 megs.  The
>big requirements are that it is a realtime OS.  I need to be able to
>specify a certain action to take place in .35 seconds, and have it
>actually take place in .35 seconds.  I'm looking into qnx, but have not

All you need is an interrupt driven, buffered communications library for your
data communications.

You can specify whatever action you wish, to occur when characters come in.

Uness there's a lot more to your app than you've listed, running a preemptive
multitasker to handle communications is like using flying into the sun to warm
your coffee. (besides being a lot more expensive than necessary)

Terry

Post by Kevin Stallar » Fri, 31 May 1996 04:00:00

> The C Executive runs under x86-based PC as well as lots of otyher platforms.
> The kernel fits in about 30K.  Search the Web for "JMI".

You should check with QNX systems, there are, I believe a couple of
simulation systems that were written under QNX with some impressive
reslults.

There was a couple of articles on it.

Give them a call:

                                175 Terence Matthews Crescent
                               Kanata, Ontario K2M 1W8 Canada
                               Tel: 1-800-676-0566 or 613-591-0931
                               Fax: 613-591-3579

Hope this helps
Kevin

Post by Carl McMull » Sat, 01 Jun 1996 04:00:00

> I'm working on a simulation package comprising ten different
> nodes, interconnected via wireless modem. Each modem is restricted to
> transmitting only during specified intervals.  In order to keep
> everything running smoothly, all ten nodes respond to the constant
> pinging of a timer, ensuring that everything stays synchronized.

>         Currently the nodes are running of x86 based processors in a dos
> environment.  This makes some of the code very difficult to write
> however, as timing is critical.  I am looking for a replacement OS,
> something that I can embed with a kernel ideally less than 2 megs.  The
> big requirements are that it is a realtime OS.  I need to be able to
> specify a certain action to take place in .35 seconds, and have it
> actually take place in .35 seconds.  I'm looking into qnx, but have not
> gotten anywhere else.  Obviously something with a c or c++ cross
> complier available is also a requirement.  Something along the lines of
> a scaled down version of NT would be beautiful, but I realize that that
> probably isn't an option...  Any help or advise that you can give would
> be greatly appreciated.  I can be reached at:

> (415) 859-3915

> and will continue to check this newsgroup for the next couple of days to
> see if there are any replies.  Additionally, after June 1, I should also
> be able to accept e-mail responses at:

> Thank you for your time in helping me with this.

>                                 Peter Nelson
>                                 SRI International

Hello Peter:

I just worked on a project where I had to build a customized kernel
for a customer. We ended up using something called uC/OS which was
written by Jim Labrosse. He wrote a book call

        "uC/OS The Real Time Kernel"

which is a very good book on kernels. The book includes the source
which is probably 98% C and only three small assembler routines for
handling context switching. I believe Jim is from Florida and has
been doing embedded systems development for a number of years.

I started with his system and then rewrote it using a different
approach. It is a very nice kernel written for minimal interrupt
latency. The kernel supports pre-emptive multi-tasking, inter-task
communication via Mailboxes and Queues and resource control via
semaphores. Each task can also initiate time delays and uC/OS then
puts the task "to sleep" for the specified amount of time. The time
resolution for these days are only limited by your availability of
timers.

The reason I tell you all of this is that I was thinking you could use
this kernel to write a single C program with any number of tasks
running on top of uC/OS. Any time you needed to make DOS/BIOS calls
you could wrap a semaphore around those calls since DOS/BIOS are
generally considered non-reentrant. This could work very nicely
for you.

Also, if uC/OS is not what you are looking for, there are a couple
of vendors that have written a real-time, multi-tasking verision of
DOS that you can either run on a PC booting from your HD OR that you
can embed in ROM in an embedded system. Prices for these products
range from ~$500 to ~$2000. At the moment I forget the names of the
companies BUT I would be glad to dig up the information if you would
like me to.

I hope this has been helpful!!

Carl McMullen
3M Company
St. Paul, Minnesota

Post by Alfred C Thompson » Tue, 04 Jun 1996 04:00:00

>I'm working on a simulation package comprising ten different
>nodes, interconnected via wireless modem. Each modem is restricted to
>transmitting only during specified intervals.  In order to keep
>everything running smoothly, all ten nodes respond to the constant
>pinging of a timer, ensuring that everything stays synchronized.

Have you looked at Plan 9 from ATT?

http://plan9.bell-labs.com/plan9/
 Alfred C Thompson II              These opinions are mine and may not
 Teacher, Hacker, Net Surfer   be shared by organizations lucky enough

 http://www.tiac.net/users/act2/alfred.htm

Post by David Directo » Wed, 05 Jun 1996 04:00:00

> > I'm working on a simulation package comprising ten different
> > nodes, interconnected via wireless modem. Each modem is restricted
> > Thank you for your time in helping me with this.

> Also, if uC/OS is not what you are looking for, there are a couple
> of vendors that have written a real-time, multi-tasking verision of
> DOS that you can either run on a PC booting from your HD OR that you
> can embed in ROM in an embedded system.

Read your post -- it looks like an interesting project.  There used
to be a real-time system from Digital Research (now owned by Novell)
called FLEX/OS, which would do that.  I'm not sure whether that system
is still available, but most of it is also embodied in the latest
version of what used to be called Concurrent DOS.  Check with Logan
Industries (Melbourne Beach, FL) for REAL/32.  You can reach them via

Good luck!

-- David

Looking for OS to meet general requirements, need advice

Post by Colin Burges » Thu, 06 Jun 1996 04:00:00

[snip]

Quote:

> Have you looked at Plan 9 from ATT?

Is that related to 'Plan 9 from Outer Space'? ;)

Post by ANDREW GRYGU » Sat, 08 Jun 1996 04:00:00

writes:

>[snip]

>> Have you looked at Plan 9 from ATT?

>Is that related to 'Plan 9 from Outer Space'? ;)

Yes.  That's where they adopted the name from.  True.

Andrew Grygus  -  California Republic
--------------------------------------
Resist Microsoft!

Post by John Bay » Mon, 10 Jun 1996 04:00:00

>>> Have you looked at Plan 9 from ATT?

>>Is that related to 'Plan 9 from Outer Space'? ;)

>Yes.  That's where they adopted the name from.  True.

    And the windowing system is named 8 1/2, after a Fellini film.

--
John Bayko (Tau).

http://www.cs.uregina.ca/~bayko

1. Dec 5000/240 Which OS??? General Questions?

I may have an opportunity to pick up a 5000/240.  I don't know anything
about DEC equipment, I am a SUN/SGI/HP guy.

Will a 5000/240 run the Linux for DecAlpha??  Will it run NT??  Does the
OS on it require license updates???

I am getting the impression they are not worth very much (<$600) and
this must be because you can run anything!!!

I would really love to reformat them and run Linux.  Is the 5000/240 and
Alpha machine??

Does anyone have a spec sheet or a web page with info on the system??

Bill Johnston (N8HQG) - Vehicle Design & Proportion Technology
Ford Motor Co. 15301 Century Dr. Ste 202 Dearborn, MI 48120-1229

Ideas, thoughts, wishes, knowledge, body, mind & soul are mine,  I
think?

2. Restoring from microsoft backup.HELP!

3. Association of Configuration Management/Data Management - 17th General Meeting

4. URGENT REQ --- Cisco Systems Engineer --- 6 months Contract --- Newyork City, NY

5. Advice? General MIDI, standard MIDI files, etc.

6. WTB Indigo

7. Looking for old requirements story source...

8. calendar

9. Requirement Engineering - Requirement Reuse?

10. Looking for General-purpose Unix box

11. Looking for Data General experts

12. Looking for Sources of Reusable Requirements

13. Looking for General Magic