DecSystem5100/Ultrix4.2: Move OS from one disk to another, how?

DecSystem5100/Ultrix4.2: Move OS from one disk to another, how?

Post by Rolf Diet » Thu, 21 Dec 1995 04:00:00

Hi Folks,
does anyone know how to move Ultrix 4.2 to a new disk in a DecSystem5100?
The old one became to small:) and there are no more free scsi-slots:(

I tried to move the OS form disk3 to disk1, but the bos doesn't boot
from disk1. This is what I did:
        1 Formatted the new disk with "rzdisk -f known /dev/rrz1c"
        2 made a fs with "newfs /dev/rrz1c"
          made a partitiontable with "chpt -a" and customized it so that
          /dev/rz1a and /dev/rz1g ("/" + "/usr") are of the same size as
          the old / and /usr on /dev/rz3[a,g] and a bigger swap (eg /dev/rz1b)
        3 did a "dd if=/dev/rrz3a of=/dev/rrz1a" same with /dev/rrz?[a,g]
        4 fscked /dev/rz1[a,g] cleanly
        5 made a new kernel to use /dev/rz1[a,b] as root, swap, dump and
          copied it to /dev/rz1a
        6 tried to boot from /dev/rz1a with boot -f rz(0,1,0)
          (after halting it)
        7 it didn't boot!
I haven't found any cmd to create a new bootblock on the new disk as I am
used to do on SUNs (this is why I "dd"ed /dev/rrz??).
I thought of this to be not very critically, guess I missed something,
can somebody please help?

thank's in advance,
Rolf
--
                                                             ___________________
________________                                            /   Rolf M. Dietze

  +49 30 8534587 \________________________________________/     D-10715 Berlin

Post by Alan Roll » Thu, 21 Dec 1995 04:00:00

>Hi Folks,
>does anyone know how to move Ultrix 4.2 to a new disk in a DecSystem5100?
>The old one became to small:) and there are no more free scsi-slots:(

>I tried to move the OS form disk3 to disk1, but the bos doesn't boot
>from disk1. This is what I did:
>    1 Formatted the new disk with "rzdisk -f known /dev/rrz1c"

Most drives and certainly all DEC drives come from the factor already
formatted.  Unless you suspect a drive has many bad sectors, it isn't
necessary to reformat.  At worst, you probably only need to do scan
with rzdisk to look for and replace and new bad blocks.  And that only
on a drive that hasn't been used for awhile.

Quote:>    2 made a fs with "newfs /dev/rrz1c"

If all you wanted was a partition table you'd have saved some time
by using the A partition instead of C.

Quote:>    3 did a "dd if=/dev/rrz3a of=/dev/rrz1a" same with /dev/rrz?[a,g]
>    4 fscked /dev/rz1[a,g] cleanly

Nothing particularly wrong.  I'd have used dump/restore across a pipe,
but that's just me.  The dd(1) would have copied the boot blocks off
the original disk, so that isn't likely to be a problem.

Quote:>    5 made a new kernel to use /dev/rz1[a,b] as root, swap, dump and
>      copied it to /dev/rz1a

/dev/rz1a is a block device.  Not a file system.  If you really did
copy it to the block device, then this was your mistake.  You wanted
to mount the new root somewhere (/mnt), copy the new kernel there and
then dismount.  What copying to the block device was have the kernel
overwrite the boot blocks, superblocks, cylinder group block, inodes
for the first cylinder group and bunch of data...

Quote:>    6 tried to boot from /dev/rz1a with boot -f rz(0,1,0)
>      (after halting it)
>    7 it didn't boot!

In the event that my guess for #5 was wrong, it would be useful to
know the symtom in more detail.

Quote:>I haven't found any cmd to create a new bootblock on the new disk as I am
>used to do on SUNs (this is why I "dd"ed /dev/rrz??).

Newfs writes the boot block unless you tell it not to.  This should be
clear from the newfs manual page, but re-read the section on the -n
option.

Quote: