Wow, I am glad that I am not responsible for any more PC's.....

Wow, I am glad that I am not responsible for any more PC's.....

Post by Quin » Thu, 23 Dec 1999 04:00:00

8  months ago I went around the company and got things "up to s-2 for office
and installed the current Y2K patches"
A couple months later I heard of a blitz of patches that needed to be
installed...that would come out soon.  Many people suggested to wait until
December 1999 till the patches get all cleaned up.

So this month I start (over) on making sure the PC's software is up to
date....

Complements to the MS product analyzer as it makes a great summary of what
is not compliant with links on how to fix it.

My problem is that  Dec 21 I ran it on a particular PC and I get a ALL
compliant printout....
office 97 (windows and all installed components OK)

Then today I happen to be on another computer and I see that EXCEL had a
patch PENDING !!!!\
up to speed as I thought!!!

Wow, I am glad that I am not responsible for any more PC's.....

I have a really hard time understanding  why this couldn't have been taken
care of in some prior patch. Hell office 97 has been around for at least 4
years....people knew of Y2K. Now there are patches up the ass from jet
databases to service pack2a.

.... I expect that all of these patch installs will introduce instability
into the once stable system......(most 95/98 clients used to only reboot 1x
in 15 days and that is because I have to remind them to)

ALSO....why cant there be overall patches continuing off of
sr2 --->sr3---->sr4 .... etc to infinity....

Can we expect a SR3?....hopefully one that is cumulative, one that
understands if outlook 98 is installed?

I respect MS for bringing computers to the mainstream, and I understand that
computing wouldn't exist as it is today without them.  I am disappointed in
their increasing problems and patchs / stability etc...
And I really hope that new op systems like Windows 2000 become more
reliable......

Concerned
Quinn

Post by Ralph Daughert » Thu, 23 Dec 1999 04:00:00

> <snip>
> I respect MS for bringing computers to the mainstream, and I understand that
> computing wouldn't exist as it is today without them.  I am disappointed in
> their increasing problems and patchs / stability etc...
> And I really hope that new op systems like Windows 2000 become more
> reliable......

> Concerned
> Quinn

   They always promise the next one will be.  It never is.  These reports of
Microsoft finding Y2K bugs in December '99 are amazing, even for Microsoft.

 Ralph

Wow, I am glad that I am not responsible for any more PC's.....

Post by Grrr » Sat, 25 Dec 1999 04:00:00

[ snip ]

Quote:> I respect MS for bringing computers to the mainstream,   ...

Boy, there's something arrresting about the first three words of that sentence,
in that order.

Reference the old George Carlin routine:  "Hand me that piano."

< grrr >