about xwin32 on digital

Post by vince.. » Mon, 28 Jul 1997 04:00:00

HI,I had a question about x-win32 ..
I installed a X-win32 software in my personal PC
on windows95

I Want to use x-win32 to simulate my Digital 300 server 's CDE
desktop display.

Now,my question is , I can show CDE desktop display on my windows95
successfully.But ,system refuse my login when I want to login on my
system by "root" account.

Maybe it's caused by some security reason,but I want to know if
I can logon on my system by "root" account .

My english is poor,
sorry..

about xwin32 on digital

Post by Kevin Han » Mon, 28 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Quote:

>HI,I had a question about x-win32 ..
>I installed a X-win32 software in my personal PC
>on windows95

>I Want to use x-win32 to simulate my Digital 300 server 's CDE
>desktop display.

>Now,my question is , I can show CDE desktop display on my windows95
>successfully.But ,system refuse my login when I want to login on my
>system by "root" account.

>Maybe it's caused by some security reason,but I want to know if
>I can logon on my system by "root" account .

Most Unix OS's I've played with don't allow login to root from
a networked connection. It's a security thing. It's too easy for
a hacker to distroy your system if he can get into root, and most
hackers nowadays come in through the internet.

If you really need to log into root, you should look into programs
such as 'sudo' and 'su', and implement as much of the security as
you can stand.

1. Upgrading from Digital Unix V3 to Digital Unix V4

We just installed a DEC Alpha running Digital Unix V3 and something is clearly
screwed up with the system.  Whenever we run the man command to look anything
up we get a message about the 'more' command not being found.  (We searched
for the more command with 'find' -- it isn't on the system anywhere!).  So
we've got some work to do.

We don't have any installation media for Digital Unix V3 (well, they did send
a CD to us, but it was a backlevel of V3), but we can get V4 soon.  I noticed
that it was just announced on 3/8/96.

??? Is it "too early" to go to V4?

??? Do you think I can upgrade this "sick" V3 system, or should I get it up to
speed first?

2. Feds Snooze on Cable Access - Will Consumers Lose?

3. Digital Optical Tape (nee Digital Paper)

4. Simulink crashes

5. When is a Digital NOT a Digital? (a question of product quality)

6. no su in shell

7. Game patches - A digital cultural heritage

8. Getting Q-Channel info on audio cd disc.

9. Tech Specs on Digital Prioris ZX 5133MP/2

10. DIGITAL mouse mini-DIN->PS/2 [?]

11. Digital Free Press #5

12. Western Digital Hard Disk