High school student interested in computer engineering

High school student interested in computer engineering

Post by Chri » Sat, 02 Aug 2003 11:10:36

I am a high school student who lives in Ontario, Canada and I am
interested in Computer engineering. I have very good marks and I am
greatly interested in math an science. As well, I enjoy working with
computers, however, I have never really done any programming or even
installed a piece of equipment on a computer (Besides plugging in a
scanner or printer or something). I am very quick at learning and I
would like to apply my learning abilities to something that is useful
and enjoyable. Next year in high school I plan on taking one computer
programming course so I can get some experience.

My question is: would I be successful in a computer engineering
program without ever having even looked at the inside of a computer?
It is not that I am not interested in doing something like that, but
when I hear about others going into computer engineering they have put
together and built all sorts of computers. I think it would be
tremendously interesting to learn about how computers work and apply
this ability in all sorts of ways, but I am apprehensive about whether
I would have the necessary experience.

Does anyone have any advice?

High school student interested in computer engineering

Post by Jonathan Hendr » Sat, 02 Aug 2003 12:35:30

Quote:> My question is: would I be successful in a computer engineering
> program without ever having even looked at the inside of a computer?
> It is not that I am not interested in doing something like that, but
> when I hear about others going into computer engineering they have put
> together and built all sorts of computers. I think it would be
> tremendously interesting to learn about how computers work and apply
> this ability in all sorts of ways, but I am apprehensive about whether
> I would have the necessary experience.

Shouldn't be a problem. Most people who are 'building' computers
are just putting together components, like Legos but more
fragile.

Computer Engineering is about the innerds of the components,
where people don't generally muck about.

It's like the difference between being able change a spark
plug in a car, and being able to design a spark plug.

I would, however, suggest thinking about a backup field,
and maybe a minor degree in something else. Computer-related
work isn't looking very promising right now.

High school student interested in computer engineering

Post by Darrell Graing » Sun, 03 Aug 2003 06:21:08

Quote:> I am a high school student who lives in Ontario, Canada and I am
> interested in Computer engineering. I have very good marks and I am
> greatly interested in math an science. As well, I enjoy working with
> computers, however, I have never really done any programming or even
> installed a piece of equipment on a computer (Besides plugging in a
> scanner or printer or something). I am very quick at learning and I
> would like to apply my learning abilities to something that is useful
> and enjoyable. Next year in high school I plan on taking one computer
> programming course so I can get some experience.

> My question is: would I be successful in a computer engineering
> program without ever having even looked at the inside of a computer?
> It is not that I am not interested in doing something like that, but
> when I hear about others going into computer engineering they have put
> together and built all sorts of computers. I think it would be
> tremendously interesting to learn about how computers work and apply
> this ability in all sorts of ways, but I am apprehensive about whether
> I would have the necessary experience.

I have seen a number of different students; some with just math, some with
volunteer experience installing hardware networks. Having mathematics
gives your the ability to problem solve and learn computer programming.
Having some sort of technical background would help with the hardware
side. Even electronics, electical, trade school type activities would be
helpful.

The more you have the easier will be. You might find that you can get to
the 90% range but there are students who are getting the 99% marks easier
than you. The schools in Ontario tend to bell curve marks such that the
average student will have 80%.

From what you have said about yourself I can see you getting at least 70%
to 80% in courses with a little effort. Maybe you are modest and you will
get 80% to 90%. Maybe you will work harder than most the students. There
are a lot of factors to consider.

Generally, if you like it you wil do okay. If it an effort now, it will
just get harder and harder.

Note that Computer Engineering is a mix of hardware and software. Most
programs will have electives. This means you could graudate with more
hardware or more software knowledge. Computer Science is software. They
have electives and you could take some hardware courses but generally
speaking you will know 90% to 100% software.

Most highschools will give you programming courses. This is only half the
picture for Computer Engineering. It is really geared towards Computer
Science.

--

"iqgbgxmdbjlgdv.lksrqek.n";char *strchr(const char *,int);while(
*i){j+=strchr(t,*i++)-t;j%=sizeof t-1;putchar(t[j]);} return 0;}

1. High school student looking at Universities for computer engineering

I am a high school student who lives in Ontario, Canada who is
interested in going into computer engineering. I have very high marks
(a 97 average) and have a number of extracurricular activities, so I
think I could probably be accepted to most universities. This poses a
challenge: which universities in Ontario (or perhaps near Ontario) are
good in the field of computer engineering? I have toured the
University of Waterloo and found the campus quite nice, and I was
wondering if they have a good computer engineering program? How about
the University of Western Ontario? If anyone could give me advice I
would be very appreciative.

2. Radio Telephone Information Needed

3. Using technology to assist high school students with learning disabilities

4. console app on emulator

5. Advice: High school student looking for answers about Comp. Eng. Field

6. Lubalen graphic light

7. High School Computer Club

8. H.S. students needs computer engineers to take simple survey

9. Free check-ins or stable check-ins?

10. Computer Engineering interested

11. Software Engineering - Computer Science - Computer Engineering

12. Secondary School Students Seek Your Assistance