219 US Embasies Told To Prepare for Power Outages, Water Shortages etc (US Dept of State).

219 US Embasies Told To Prepare for Power Outages, Water Shortages etc (US Dept of State).

Post by Adam » Fri, 17 Dec 1999 04:00:00

http://www.state.gov/www/dept/irm/fs_990909_y2k.html

To protect against any potential negative impacts from Y2K disruptions, the
Department of State has formulated comprehensive contingency plans, which
called for assessments of every aspect of our 219 embassies and consulates
and Washington-based buildings and annexes' Y2K readiness. The Department
sent out the "Post Contingency Planning Tool Kit" in February, which
addressed the potential resource gaps (equipment, water, generators, etc.)
that could result from Y2K-related problems. Again, posts assessed such host
country scenarios as the effects of loss of electricity, water shortages,
failure of primary sources of communications and other events, during the
rollover period. Each embassy had to determine how long they could continue
business operations and maintain the safety and security of their staff, and
indicated what additional resources would be needed to maintain operations
if serious problems developed in the host-country infrastructure. Presently,
the individual regional bureaus are coordinating contingency efforts with
their respective posts.

This escaped my attention in September so maybe I'm not alone.

Adam.

Post by Dave Koste » Fri, 17 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> http://www.state.gov/www/dept/irm/fs_990909_y2k.html

> To protect against any potential negative impacts from Y2K disruptions,
the
> Department of State has formulated comprehensive contingency plans, which
> called for assessments of every aspect of our 219 embassies and
consulates
> and Washington-based buildings and annexes' Y2K readiness. The Department
> sent out the "Post Contingency Planning Tool Kit" in February, which
> addressed the potential resource gaps (equipment, water, generators,
etc.)
> that could result from Y2K-related problems. Again, posts assessed such
host
> country scenarios as the effects of loss of electricity, water shortages,
> failure of primary sources of communications and other events, during the
> rollover period. Each embassy had to determine how long they could
continue
> business operations and maintain the safety and security of their staff,
and
> indicated what additional resources would be needed to maintain
operations
> if serious problems developed in the host-country infrastructure.
Presently,
> the individual regional bureaus are coordinating contingency efforts with
> their respective posts.

> This escaped my attention in September so maybe I'm not alone.

> Adam.

The spin is a little too reactive.

Wednesday December 1 2:13 PM ET
        2 Million Lose Power in Argentina

BUENOS AIRES, Argentina (AP) - An overnight power outage triggered
blackouts across much of the Argentine capital and seven provinces,
leaving 2 million people without electricity, utility company
officials       said Wednesday.

In parts of Buenos Aires and the city's surrounding suburbs, lights
flickered back on after two hours late Tuesday. But huge swathes of
the country's interior were still without power several hours later,
officials with Edesur and Edenor utility companies said.

Authorities are still investigating the cause of the blackout, which
occurred at around 7 p.m. amid steaming summertime temperatures.

It was the second major blackout this year. In February, a nearly
two-week long outage hit south and central Buenos Aires leaving some
nearly 300,000 people without power.

Wednesday's outage stretched from neighborhoods in Buenos Aires to
the provinces of Mendoza, Cordoba, La Pampa, Santa Fe, Rio Negro and
Neuquen.

Th Phillipine Jellyfish aren't helping either.

dk