"To use one" -- use one? refuse one? chew sun?

"To use one" -- use one? refuse one? chew sun?

Post by Jonathan Sach » Fri, 01 Aug 2003 22:48:23



For as long has I've been using NaturallySpeaking (currently 6.0
Preferred), it has had a terrible time recognizing commands like
"tchoose one" in a Spell dialog box. Sometimes it does fine; sometimes
it gets in a "mood" where it misrecognizes the command over and over,
and I end up having to use the arrow keys in every case.

Today it occurred to me that this behavior really isn't connected to
overall performance. When overall recognition is poor, command
recognition is poor, but when overall recognition is good, command
recognition may also be good or may be dismal.

This is particularly puzzling to me because the menu commands are a
"semi-controlled vocabulary": one can say anything in a Spell dialog
box, but the listed commands are by far the most likely responses. The
program should be able to recognize them better than random responses,
not worse.

Have other people noticed this type of problem? Does anyone have
insight into the causes and possible cures?

My mail address is jsachs177 at earthlink dot net.

 
 
 

"To use one" -- use one? refuse one? chew sun?

Post by Carsten Neubau » Sat, 02 Aug 2003 04:28:42


i do not know naturally speaking, but could the problem
be connected with your microphone?

once i also had unpredictable results in speech-recognition,
with other software, but the same effect.
one day it didn't work at all, the next day it was fine.

this seemed to happen, because my microphone was standing
directly on the table, so it listened more to all kind of vibrations
and resonances than to my voice.

putting the mic on a mousepad has solved my problems.

hope it helps,
carsten neubauer
http://www.c14sw.com/

 
 
 

"To use one" -- use one? refuse one? chew sun?

Post by louis » Sat, 02 Aug 2003 12:10:38




Quote:> For as long has I've been using NaturallySpeaking (currently 6.0
> Preferred), it has had a terrible time recognizing commands like
> "tchoose one" in a Spell dialog box. Sometimes it does fine; sometimes
> it gets in a "mood" where it misrecognizes the command over and over,
> and I end up having to use the arrow keys in every case.

> Today it occurred to me that this behavior really isn't connected to
> overall performance. When overall recognition is poor, command
> recognition is poor, but when overall recognition is good, command
> recognition may also be good or may be dismal.

> This is particularly puzzling to me because the menu commands are a
> "semi-controlled vocabulary": one can say anything in a Spell dialog
> box, but the listed commands are by far the most likely responses. The
> program should be able to recognize them better than random responses,
> not worse.

> Have other people noticed this type of problem? Does anyone have
> insight into the causes and possible cures?

> My mail address is jsachs177 at earthlink dot net.

 YES -- I have noticed it and I find it extremely
frustrating.  I have found it to happen often when I go to
training after spelling.  First DNS doesn't recognize some
of the letters I dictate in a spell command, and then, when
I go to train, it won't respond to the go command or to the
done command.

I think I'm may have discovered at least part of the
problem: although I'm not going into the red as I dictate,
if I move the microphone further from my mouth or lower the
volume a little bit, the program commands are much more
responsive.  I think this also correlates with accuracy
although I'm not sure about that yet.

Louise

 
 
 

"To use one" -- use one? refuse one? chew sun?

Post by Jonathan Sach » Sat, 02 Aug 2003 13:46:13



> YES -- I have noticed it and I find it extremely
>frustrating...
>I think I'm may have discovered at least part of the
>problem: although I'm not going into the red as I dictate,
>if I move the microphone further from my mouth or lower the
>volume a little bit, the program commands are much more
>responsive.  I think this also correlates with accuracy
>although I'm not sure about that yet.

My problem may not be comparable because I am using a headset with a
boom mike. Having the mike too close to my mouth is sometimes a
problem, but there is some other major factor that I have not
identified.

I have a volume problem which seems to be the reverse of yours-- when
I run the audio setting adjuster it often sets the volume too low, and
I have to push it up again to get reasonable recognition. I have no
idea why it does that.

My mail address is jsachs177 at earthlink dot net.

 
 
 

"To use one" -- use one? refuse one? chew sun?

Post by Mephistophele » Mon, 04 Aug 2003 02:56:04




Quote:> For as long has I've been using NaturallySpeaking (currently 6.0
> Preferred), it has had a terrible time recognizing commands like
> "tchoose one" in a Spell dialog box. Sometimes it does fine; sometimes
> it gets in a "mood" where it misrecognizes the command over and over,
> and I end up having to use the arrow keys in every case.

> Today it occurred to me that this behavior really isn't connected to
> overall performance. When overall recognition is poor, command
> recognition is poor, but when overall recognition is good, command
> recognition may also be good or may be dismal.

> This is particularly puzzling to me because the menu commands are a
> "semi-controlled vocabulary": one can say anything in a Spell dialog
> box, but the listed commands are by far the most likely responses. The
> program should be able to recognize them better than random responses,
> not worse.

> Have other people noticed this type of problem? Does anyone have
> insight into the causes and possible cures?

> My mail address is jsachs177 at earthlink dot net.

I have similar problems with the "click close" command.  However, do you
have "automatic playback on correction" enabled?  This can sometimes
cause difficulties in recognizing the "choose" command if you begin to
utter the command before the playback has completely finished.  You might
also try the alternative commands, e.g. "choose numeral one" (this was
discontinued in version 7, but I believe it still exists in version 6) or
" select one" (unfortunately the latter is less efficient since it
requires an extra step).  You could also experiment with pronouncing
"choose one" in different ways or saying it faster or more slowly.  I
used to have chronic troubles getting DNS to recognize the "go to sleep"
command until someone recommended that I emphasize the "to".

Meph

 
 
 

"To use one" -- use one? refuse one? chew sun?

Post by Jonathan Sach » Mon, 04 Aug 2003 20:47:01



>I have similar problems with the "click close" command.  However, do you
>have "automatic playback on correction" enabled?  This can sometimes
>cause difficulties,,,

No, I never even heard of it.

Quote:>You might
>also try the alternative commands, e.g. "choose numeral one"... or
>" select one"

Neither documented, as far as I know. (That's no surprise, considering
the amount of misinformation I've already found in the documentation.
I got extremely frustrated with the failure of "spacebar" until I
realized that it was working only when Dragon misinterpreted it as
"space.")

Quote:>You could also experiment with pronouncing
>"choose one" in different ways or saying it faster or more slowly.

I have found that singsonging it like a boot camp chant -- "CHOOSE
one" -- sometimes helps. More often, though, it just changes the type
of misinterpretation that the program tends to make.

My mail address is jsachs177 at earthlink dot net.

 
 
 

1. Only one UDA50 in ""first"" unibus of vax 750 or 780?

I have a vax 750 with one UDA50 controlling 4 RA81's and want to
add a second UDA50, but in an old systems and options catalog I read
that you can only have one UDA50 on the "first" unibus, but you can
have two on the second, or if you put two on the first, there can't be
any other boards.  Anybody know whether this is a real limitation and
whether it is power, bandwidth, or what?

How does one connect a second unibus to a 750, or is it possible?


2. job position - MP architecture/validation, esp. memory ordering

3. Hook up to 50 LAN-based computers to the 'net using one account, one modem

4. PGP front end for EPM

5. Most frequently used "secondary character" or "symbol" keys used

6. Disabling Excel window title/menus?

7. "big endian" and "little endian" - first usage for computers

8. Visor SpringBoard Option Question (Palm Sync Port)

9. Use Sales Automation to "Speak with One Voice" to your customers & Clients

10. Boss BX-16 Mixer...Anyone have one???...is it "clean"?

11. Die CD "Contrast - First Take" ist ver?ffentlicht

12. How to pronounce the word "cepstrum" (first letter)?