JIDE - toolbars in the dock

Post by Matt Stephe » Wed, 13 Aug 2003 17:20:38

You might be interested in this short article on JIDE (dockable window
platform for Java Swing) - and some concerns about how it may be
misused.

JIDE is definitely worth a look, but its over-use in any application
could raise some usability issues.....

http://www.softwarereality.com/design/dockable.jsp

1. Free check-ins or stable check-ins?

Hi all,

I'm hoping someone could give me insight to how they do things...(BTW, we
are using VSS 6.0 and
VisualStudio6.0 on an NT platform)

I was thinking about mandating stable check-ins for all code in our project.
That is, nobody checks in code unless it is deemed complete and workable.
Due to the way VSS <project> labels work (always labels latest versions of
all files), if code is checked in incomplete and a build is performed, it
could break the build. I've heard that if code is checked out for a long
period of time though (if a change takes a week or so), the code is more apt
to become corrupt. Is this true?
The alternative to this is to let developers check in code regardless of the
working state. If a build is performed, this may cause the build to break.
Also, if a "hotfix" needs to be performed, and if the code has already been
changed and is checked in incomplete, the hotfix will include the incomplete
code. If the code is stable, this is not a problem. If the code is still
checked out, at least the person responsible for the hotfix will know that
the code is being modified and can communicate with that person to get the
fix incorporated.

How do others here manage their source code with respect to the above?
Thanks for your thoughts!

2. screwed up my sound!!

3. Everex Tempo LX Battery & Docking Station 4Sale

4. going from Turbo c++ to Visual c++

5. Hawaii panics due to potential dock strike

6. 11e COMPUTERDAG / 1e MSX MARATHON

7. FS: HiNote VP Mini Docking Station

8. Obtain MICROSOFT and CISCO exams at ur DOORSTEP( pay after confirmation)100% passing gaurantee

9. DEC PC425SLC laptop and docking station PC3PE

10. HiNote 2000 docking station

11. HiNote Ultra II docking station

12. Help - Proper install of WIN on a docked laptop