free VAX in NW England

Post by Phillip Helb » Tue, 08 Sep 1998 04:00:00

FREE VAX 11/73!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As mentioned before, I'm planning on doing inventory on some old VAX
stuff I have and having a big give-away in a few weeks.  By the way, I'm
still looking for stuff myself, especially tape drives (8mm) and bigger
SCSI disks---see http://multivac.jb.man.ac.uk:8000/helbig/vms/vax.txt .
I especially want VAXstation 4000 or VAXstation 3100 boxes.

When picking up my last lot, I decided to save an 11/73 from
destruction, hoping I could give it a good home.  I don't know much
about it except that it has a good tape drive in it and two sizes of
floppies (no, neither is 3?"---5" and 8").  I need to get rid of this
quickly, as it is filling up my car and making it difficult to drive.
It's a rack-mount.

If you want it, then come and get it, but you better hurry 'cause it's
going fast.  Previous experience shows that there is a big demand for
these old systems.  It's first come, first served.  I would prefer
people who will take it in any case, as there's not much point in
looking at it and I want to unload it directly from my car into your
vehicle.

I could arrange to obtain some manuals and perhaps even software
distribution media, but not before you pick up the VAX (since I don't
want to drive anywhere with it in my car); you could come back for them
or I could probably tell you where to pick them up, perhaps on the way
to picking up the VAX.

Email is the best way to contact me, though the other methods below are
OK as well.

I barely managed to get it in the back of a VW Polo estate (the previous
model; it wouldn't fit in a new Polo) with the back seat folded down.
So you need a car at least as big, where the dimensions of the opening
are as critical as the volume.  If you're not too far away, I could
drive it out myself (which might save some effort) but only if you
promise me to take it in any case.  As far as I know, it is in working
order and there is at least the OS and some compilers installed on it.
I don't know WHICH OS is on it.

--

Nuffield Radio Astronomy Laboratories   Tel. .... +44 1477 571 321 (ext. 297)
Jodrell Bank                            Fax ................ +44 1477 571 618

My opinions are not necessarily those of NRAL or the University of Manchester.

free VAX in NW England

Post by Gregg E Econom » Tue, 08 Sep 1998 04:00:00

There is no such thing as a VAX 11/73!
Either this is a PDP11/73 (which from your description it sounds like)
or a VAX 11/730 (which would not fit in a VW polo)
that being said, tis a pity im on the wrong side of the atlantic :)

happy hacking,
isildur

free VAX in NW England

Post by Phillip Helb » Wed, 09 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Quote:(Gregg E Economou) writes:
> There is no such thing as a VAX 11/73!
> Either this is a PDP11/73 (which from your description it sounds like)

Yes, it is a PDP 11/73, which was known as a VAX 11/73 sometimes.

Contrary to my expectation based on the response the last time I had
some old stuff to give away, this system is still here.  As I said, as
far as I know it is in full working order, has OS and compilers
installed and I can get manuals and probably even software distribution
media for it.  Again, I'm not interested in this myself but picked it up
when getting some other used VAX stuff just out of the goodness of my
heart in order to save it from destruction and give it a good home.

If no one responds by tomorrow, I'm going to have to have it scrapped.

--

Post by John Wils » Wed, 09 Sep 1998 04:00:00

>Yes, it is a PDP 11/73, which was known as a VAX 11/73 sometimes.

Please stop SAYING that!!!  A PDP-11/73 is absolutely positively not a VAX.
It fits into the same case as some models of VAX (so if the case is a
hand-me-down it may have the wrong name plate on it), and can use mostly the
same peripherals as those models, but otherwise it's an entirely different
machine, it can't run VAX software at all.  Some VAX models have a PDP-11
compatibility mode, but AFAIK not any of the Q-bus ones (that would fit
in the same case/backplane).

John Wilson
D Bit

1. Free check-ins or stable check-ins?

Hi all,

I'm hoping someone could give me insight to how they do things...(BTW, we
are using VSS 6.0 and
VisualStudio6.0 on an NT platform)

I was thinking about mandating stable check-ins for all code in our project.
That is, nobody checks in code unless it is deemed complete and workable.
Due to the way VSS <project> labels work (always labels latest versions of
all files), if code is checked in incomplete and a build is performed, it
could break the build. I've heard that if code is checked out for a long
period of time though (if a change takes a week or so), the code is more apt
to become corrupt. Is this true?
The alternative to this is to let developers check in code regardless of the
working state. If a build is performed, this may cause the build to break.
Also, if a "hotfix" needs to be performed, and if the code has already been
changed and is checked in incomplete, the hotfix will include the incomplete
code. If the code is stable, this is not a problem. If the code is still
checked out, at least the person responsible for the hotfix will know that
the code is being modified and can communicate with that person to get the
fix incorporated.

How do others here manage their source code with respect to the above?
Thanks for your thoughts!

2. Intervlan routing

3. free VAXstation II systems in Cheshire, England---maybe

4. Funny stuff from AOL

5. FREE MIDI, FREE MIDI, FREE MIDI, FREE MIDI

6. Website: FAQs/Procedures Win95/98/NT4 networking DUN ICS DCC RAS VPN PPTP

7. NW Radar "failure"

8. Webcam question.

9. NW UK - VMS Systems Managers / Trainees Wanted

10. US-IL (Chicago Far NW Suburbs) SCM Contractor

11. Banking report from the sunny NW

12. DC Y2K Weather Report (NW followup, NJ, Y2K Chatline)

13. VMS job opening in N.W. FL