[TAO-Corba]: [Conecting client to server on different machine using 'Naming Service']

[TAO-Corba]: [Conecting client to server on different machine using 'Naming Service']

Post by Douglas C. Schmid » Sat, 04 Jan 2003 21:06:09

Hi,

        Thanks for using the PRF.

Quote:>> TAO VERSION: OCI-1.1a
>> ACE VERSION: OCI-5.1a

Thanks,

        Doug

Quote:>> HOST MACHINE and OPERATING SYSTEM:Windows 2000 Proffessional

--
Dr. Douglas C. Schmidt, Associate Professor  TEL: (949) 824-1901
Dept of Electrical & Computer Engineering    FAX: (949) 824-2321

[TAO-Corba]: [Conecting client to server on different machine using 'Naming Service']

Post by Phil Mesnie » Sat, 04 Jan 2003 21:58:34

Hi,

Quote:>         Thanks for using the PRF.

> >> TAO VERSION: OCI-1.1a
> >> ACE VERSION: OCI-5.1a
> >> [Started Naming Service in Machine A.then run a server on the same
> >> machine which registered itself with the naming service. form a
> >> different machine say B,
> >> I run the client without Naming service running on it.This worked fine
> >> by connecting to the server on A.

Ok. So this first step involves Naming Service and some other
application on the same machine. This other app binds an object
reference to some name in the name service.

Your client is using some other means of obtaining the server's object
reference and this works fine.

Quote:> >> Now, run the server in machine B along with the server in machine A.I

So now you have a second application which also binds an object
reference to a name.

Quote:> >> try to run the client from Machine A. The client failed to connect to
> >> both server in B and A. The servers are registered using the hostnames
> >> and hence have different names say Machine-A/Server and

Have you verified that the bindings are correct in the Naming Service?
Build the utility ACE_wrappers/TAO/utils/nslist/nslist. This command
line program will dump out the contents of the naming service, so you
can see if the names are what you think they are.

Also, you may be able to find another utility, NamingViewer under
TAO/utils. I can't remember if that was included in our 1.1a release, or
not until 1.2a. If it is there, you may find it easier to use than
nslist.

If the names are correct, ensure that you are resolving the correct name
in your client. What is the error when you attempt to resolve from the
Name Service?

Quote:> >> Machine-B/Server. When I invoke the client, I accept hostname as a
> >> command line argument and then connect to that server.

Ordinarily when moving a server from one host to another fails, the
first thing we look for is incorrect DNS configuration. But that doesn't
seem to be what you are experiencing here.

Can you explain how your client is able to use a hostname on the command
line to find an object reference?

Good luck,
Phil

--
Phil Mesnier
Principal Software Engineer,    http://www.ociweb.com

1. : [Conecting client to server on different machine using 'Naming Service']

TAO VERSION: OCI-1.1a
ACE VERSION: OCI-5.1a
[...]

2. "Disaster," or, "Recovery" Disk

3. CORBA client can't connect to CORBA service on multi-homed server

4. FULLTEXT search

5. Client Server application in different machines - one or several Naming Servers?

6. Routing issue, Correction

7. TAO corba client cannot connect to a Java 1.4 corba server

8. recommendations...

9. client and server run on different machines?

10. Problem using TAO Naming Service with TAO Implementation Repository

11. Digital's 'Third-Wave' Client/Server Initiative

12. client JAVA with JDK's ORB <---> server C++ with TAO