HCI graduate program recommendations?

Post by mira.. » Fri, 25 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Can anyone suggest some really great masters programs that combine
computer science, ergonomics, and HCI?

I have taken a look at the ACM SIGCHI Education pages, have searched
around the web, and see that there are several around the US, but I am
interested to hear from professionals in the field. Many of you must
have an opinion about which programs are the best. Which are worth the
time and money?

I am approaching this from a background as a web programmer, so I
expect I would be more prepared to join a computer science department
as opposed to psychology, but other than that, I am just exploring my
options right now.

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks,
Miranda Pearce

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

HCI graduate program recommendations?

Post by Mark » Tue, 29 Aug 2000 04:00:00

take a look at Stanford's graduate programs.

Quote:> Can anyone suggest some really great masters programs that combine

Post by Ottobo » Sun, 03 Sep 2000 06:40:31

Quote:> Can anyone suggest some really great masters programs that combine
> computer science, ergonomics, and HCI?

> I have taken a look at the ACM SIGCHI Education pages, have searched
> around the web, and see that there are several around the US, but I am
> interested to hear from professionals in the field. Many of you must
> have an opinion about which programs are the best. Which are worth the
> time and money?

> I am approaching this from a background as a web programmer, so I
> expect I would be more prepared to join a computer science department
> as opposed to psychology, but other than that, I am just exploring my
> options right now.

University College London offers a Masters program in HCI with Ergonomics.
The course is taught by UCL Psychology and Computer Science departments, the
Institute of Human Performance, and by HCI consultants, who deliver one
lecture each, for insights into practice. The course is vocationally
focused, and most students complete a three month project with a partner
company, e.g. Xerox, Canon, Microsoft, IBM, Ideo, CTP, Icon. Most graduates
are employed by the company after doing a project, or gain work as HCI
professionals. In fact there are several course graduates working for Icon
in London.

The students on the course are from a mix of backgrounds, and relevant
experience can come from psychology and from computing - the key aim of the
course is training people to design effective technology - that includes
software, websites, car control displays, air traffic control workstations,
mobile phones. This is achieved by teaching a mix of psychology, operations
research, rapid prototyping and commercial HCI techniques. There are several
visits to large control rooms, companies and research facilities as part of
the course, to experience practical issues for the coursework assignments.

I'm a lecturer on the course, btw - our prospectus is
www.ergohci.ucl.ac.uk/courses.html and contains details of the course,
employment stats for graduates etc. There are always some students on the
course from the US, and often from other countries. If you would like to
know more, please feel free to email.

best wishes
Steve Cummaford

Lecturer, Human-Computer Interaction
University College London

Post by Ivan Brusi » Thu, 07 Sep 2000 03:39:29

> Can anyone suggest some really great masters programs that combine
> computer science, ergonomics, and HCI?
> I have taken a look at the ACM SIGCHI Education pages, have searched
> around the web, and see that there are several around the US, but I am
> interested to hear from professionals in the field. Many of you must
> have an opinion about which programs are the best. Which are worth the
> time and money?
> I am approaching this from a background as a web programmer, so I
> expect I would be more prepared to join a computer science department
> as opposed to psychology, but other than that, I am just exploring my
> options right now.
> Any input is appreciated.

One such school is the GVU (Graphics, Visualization and Usability) Center
at Georgia Tech: http://www.gvu.gatech.edu.  GVU offers a Masters in HCI,
which is what you seek.

The Center is very multi-discplinary, and you can gain admittance thru the
CS program, Pysch program or IDT (aka art/Mac users) program.

No sense in me talking about the program when you cna find lots of
information on their webpage.

Hope this helps,

Ivan

1. HCI graduate programs in the U.K.

I'm looking for HCI graduate programs (Master's or PhD) in
the U.K.  Does anybody know of any good HCI programs over there?

        Thanks a lot,

                                            - Berent

2. OPENING AUTOCAD FILES FROM CD

3. graduate programs in hci

4. 3COM PCI Modem Problem

5. Graduate Programs in HCI

6. compacting languages/regular expressions

7. CS Graduate Programs

8. Bug: DateTimePicker and Focus

9. Graduate Programs--HELP!!!

10. Graduate Human Factors Programs

11. Graduate Programs

12. What is up with all of the group projects in graduate CS programs today?