CVS question

Post by Arthur Chio » Thu, 17 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Hi,
I am running CVS 1.10 pserver on Redhat Linux and WinCVS client on
windows98.
I try to use the group ID the control the access of the repository on
server. Here is the question that I have. Every time a file is updated, the
file owner ID and the file group ID were updated to the user's ID and group
ID. Suppose I have the following setup on server:
user1-- set to group1 and group2 (primary group -- group1) so user1 can
access project1 and project2
project1 file -- set to group1
project2 file -- set to group2
If user1 changed the files of project2 the file will be set to group1
instead of group2 which is not what is intended.
Am I doing something wrong or is there any other way to do it?

Arthur
D-Link Corp

CVS question

Post by Scott Hamilt » Thu, 17 Dec 1998 04:00:00

>Hi,
>I am running CVS 1.10 pserver on Redhat Linux and WinCVS client on
>windows98.
>I try to use the group ID the control the access of the repository on
>server. Here is the question that I have. Every time a file is updated, the
>file owner ID and the file group ID were updated to the user's ID and group
>ID. Suppose I have the following setup on server:
>user1-- set to group1 and group2 (primary group -- group1) so user1 can
>access project1 and project2
>project1 file -- set to group1
>project2 file -- set to group2
>If user1 changed the files of project2 the file will be set to group1
>instead of group2 which is not what is intended.
>Am I doing something wrong or is there any other way to do it?

Set the SGID bit on the directory (cvs repository in question). That way
any files added to that directory will inherit the gid of the directory.

Example:

$ ls -ld repository
drwxrwx---   2 root      cvsuser         512 Dec 15 22:20 repositor/

$ chmod g+s repository
$ ls -ld repository
drwxrws---   2 root      cvsuser         512 Dec 15 22:20 repositor/

--

87 FE 1D C3 DE 20 37 FB  6F 30 6A 8A D1 38 9A B5

1. CVS Questions

Hi Group,

I am currently looking into CVS and I have two questions
to CVS gurus out there:

1) The way the update and diff works semms fairly
   primitive.  We currently do all our diff and merge
   with "xdiff" which is orders of magnitude easier to
   use than diff and which seems like a much more
   natural tool for merging files than looking for
   ">>>>>>>" tags inserted by CVS.  Anyway to use
   "visual diff and merge" programs with CVS?

2) The way we are currently working is with RCS where
   we have a project directory that includes RCS directories
   at all levels.  A nightly build is done every night
   in the project directory (i.e. output files such
   as libraries and executables are stored under the
   same hierarchy); in addition all source files are
   kept under that structure which allows developers
   to do "grep" on the project source files.

   Would this also be the normal way to work with CVS
               OR
   Should we set-up a project directory independent of
   the CVS repository and have the project directory
   update itself every night (as if it was a working
   directory).  In the second case, is there a way to
   set up a make rule that would update only the files
   which have been changed (not just touched) and how
   can we force CVS to override the existing files even
   if there are conflicts (remember we just want the project
   be a mirror of the latest version in the repository)?

And a bonus question:  Is it better to ask these types
                       of questions to this newsgroup
                       OR to the CVS mailing list?

Thanks.

Jean-Marc Naud
Technical Manager-Tactical Simulation   Phone: (514) 341-3874 (x375)
Virtual Prototypes Inc.                 FAX:   (514) 341-6532

Montreal (Quebec) H4P 1T7               http://www.VirtualPrototypes.CA

2. LOOKING for games for promotion and distribution

3. CVS Question

4. Connecting 2 AS400s

5. Stupid (easy?) CVS Question...

6. Internet from PC doesn′t work when pocket PC in docking station

7. NEWBIE CVS question

8. CVS question

9. CVS question on modified files

10. S-I -> CVS Question