GUI Design Guidelines

Post by Gunilla Sundstr » Sat, 03 Jul 1993 03:47:48

I am interested in knowing about any GUI development guidelines that
 have been developed to enhance development of GUIs for decision
support systems for "real-world" applications. Specifically I am
interested in recommendations with respect to the following:

- Screenbackground
- Keyboards
- Colors of window frames and borders
- Font Types and Sizes
- Menus
- Selection
- User Notification
-  Navigation
- Data Input Formats
- Widget Types

I am particularly interested in development guidelines that would make
life easier for the GUI implementor. If you are aware of any
guidelines that you find particularly useful, please send me a quick
note. Thank you.

Gunilla Sundstrom
GTE Laboratories Inc.

GUI Design Guidelines

Post by Dave Rober » Sat, 03 Jul 1993 18:02:37

Quote:>I am interested in knowing about any GUI development guidelines that
> have been developed to enhance development of GUIs for decision
>support systems for "real-world" applications. Specifically I am
>interested in recommendations with respect to the following:
>  .... rest of reference deleted ....

Well, IBM has CUA guidelines.  These are not specific to DSS
but they do cover the things in the list.
| Dave Roberts - OOUIs R US                                           |

1. Help - need GUI Guidelines for analysis & design of GUI

I am a final year student, studying Bsc (Hons) Business Information
Systems.
My final year project is titled
"design of a graphical user interface for Namat"
Namat is a prototype temporal database based on semantic principles.
This will involve me analysing the current interface, developing a new
one and then implementing
this GUI in some software.

So far I have found a huge amount of stuff relating to the much broader
topic of HCI, which is more or less irrelevant for my project. These
books/www sites do not cover the area that I need
in any useful depth.

I am looking for :

1. guidelines to specifically help me analyse the current GUI and
guidelines to help me develop a new (hopefully improved) GUI.

2. examples of similar work relating to the analysis and design of
GUI's, in order to gain
an understanding of :
          (a) how to implement the guidelines
          (b) how to organise the structural composition of such a
report

I would PREFER the recommended resouces to be on the net/WWW, but I do
not mind if they are in book/ conference paper etc form as long as full
details are provided.

Many thanks in advance to anybody who can help, your help is appreciated

Shaz

2. transcriber

3. GUI Interface design courses (As the follow up on GUI Interface Design Books)

4. Using a UPS to auto shut down multiple machines

5. "need info about guidelines for designing GUIs"

6. upgrading existing mixed nt/2000 to pure 2000 environment

7. GUI Guidelines for Fonts

8. wnetaddconnection2 and null

9. Is there any guideline for GUI for illiterate or semi-literate users?

10. Wanted: Guidelines for use of color in GUI's

11. GUI Widgets guidelines - Web references?

12. SUMMARY: GUI standards & guidelines

13. Experience with "GUI guidelines" product?