Training in OOAD

Post by DevTest » Fri, 09 May 2003 06:37:08

Greetings,
I am very interested in persuing an "Object-Oriented Analysis and
Design using UML" certificate. But I have several comments, questions
and concerns regarding this certificate and getting a job using this
skill set in the software industry. (see
http://www.outreach.washington.edu/extinfo/certprog/ooa/ooa_gen.asp)

My professional background includes 3 years of formal application
development (C language) and 5 years of software testing experience
(this includes black box testing as well as developing in VB, Java and
TSL automation scripting language) for a total of 8 years in the
software industry. My ideal job would be as follows: to accept a
requirements definition from the domain expert, build a suitable
design model based on the requirements using UML, and provide feedback
to the requirements definition process. I would also like to take part
in defining the system architecture using the UML.

Since I do not have a senior or principle level title of "software
development", is it still possible to work in the above ideal job?
Could anyone provide examples of people who have the "OOAD using UML"
certificate and have landed a job performing either what I described
above or what the course is teaching?

Thanks in advance

Steve

Training in OOAD

Post by Willard Thomps » Wed, 14 May 2003 01:11:33

> Greetings,
> I am very interested in persuing an "Object-Oriented Analysis and
> Design using UML" certificate. But I have several comments, questions
> and concerns regarding this certificate and getting a job using this
> skill set in the software industry. (see
> http://www.outreach.washington.edu/extinfo/certprog/ooa/ooa_gen.asp)

> My professional background includes 3 years of formal application
> development (C language) and 5 years of software testing experience
> (this includes black box testing as well as developing in VB, Java and
> TSL automation scripting language) for a total of 8 years in the
> software industry. My ideal job would be as follows: to accept a
> requirements definition from the domain expert, build a suitable
> design model based on the requirements using UML, and provide feedback
> to the requirements definition process. I would also like to take part
> in defining the system architecture using the UML.

> Since I do not have a senior or principle level title of "software
> development", is it still possible to work in the above ideal job?
> Could anyone provide examples of people who have the "OOAD using UML"
> certificate and have landed a job performing either what I described
> above or what the course is teaching?

> Thanks in advance

> Steve

I don't see any major drawbacks with this.  Coupled with your
programming experience, I would say that you will improve your chances
of obtaining what you want.  However, you may or may not be aware,
that it's rare to *only* be say an architect, etc., i.e. that's all
you do.  I would imagine that you would have to fill in other areas as
well when needed, such as some implementing, some testing, etc.
Regardless, it never really hurts to better yourself.

WILLARD_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_
|_|_|_|AT_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_
|_|_|_|_|BLETCHLEYPARK|_|_|_
|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_DOT_|_
|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|NET

1. Free check-ins or stable check-ins?

Hi all,

I'm hoping someone could give me insight to how they do things...(BTW, we
are using VSS 6.0 and
VisualStudio6.0 on an NT platform)

I was thinking about mandating stable check-ins for all code in our project.
That is, nobody checks in code unless it is deemed complete and workable.
Due to the way VSS <project> labels work (always labels latest versions of
all files), if code is checked in incomplete and a build is performed, it
could break the build. I've heard that if code is checked out for a long
period of time though (if a change takes a week or so), the code is more apt
to become corrupt. Is this true?
The alternative to this is to let developers check in code regardless of the
working state. If a build is performed, this may cause the build to break.
Also, if a "hotfix" needs to be performed, and if the code has already been
changed and is checked in incomplete, the hotfix will include the incomplete
code. If the code is stable, this is not a problem. If the code is still
checked out, at least the person responsible for the hotfix will know that
the code is being modified and can communicate with that person to get the
fix incorporated.

How do others here manage their source code with respect to the above?
Thanks for your thoughts!

2. FAQ: SCO UNIX newsgroups and mailing lists

3. How to model CRUD (Create, Read, Update, Delete) with OOAD?

4. Running Personal Oracle8 on a Mac-platform ?

5. Exercises on grady booch OOAD

6. running chkdsk on win 2000 pro

7. SEEKING OOAD INSTRUCTOR

8. PS fonts and Windows NT

9. OOAD Opininons Please !

10. Online and offline training courses at World of Training

11. Training Registry - directory of Computer training resources

12. Shareware: An aid in ear training and chord vs notes training

13. 8150, 3270, INS info wanted..