Y2K Distractiions

Post by Harlan Smit » Thu, 09 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Hope I didn't post this before.

Some of you may have noticed that many commercial and government entities
that should be focused almost exclusively on solving Y2K problems have
their major focus on other areas.

These non-Y2K activities not only steal resources from Y2K remediation
efforts but tend to make the remediation process much more complex,
particularly in the area of testing.

Sadly, most of these distracting activities could be and should be deferred
until after the Y2K remediation effort is completed. Lack of government
leadership allows these counterproductive (to Y2K) efforts to continue.

Here is the bare beginning of a list:

Deregulation of Electrical Power Utilities

Conversion of stock quotations from fractional to decimal values

Conversion to Euro Currency

Army "Intelligent Battlefield" implementation

FAA replacement of air controllers monitors with system that provides
enhanced capability and color displays (I think it will shortly be
announced that this one has been deferred. The FAA badly screwed up the
design anyway.)

If you think of others, and I'm sure you will find them everywhere, please
supplement the list.

All of the above could be and should be deferred until after 2000
remediation is complete.

In the context of our current Y2K situation, I would label them as
frivolous and irresponsible. They are all good efforts, BUT NOT NOW!

Every one of these efforts, unless put on hold, significantly increases the
already very high risk of not completing critical portions of the Y2K
remediation on time.

My analogy is that pursuit of these activities, in the Y2K remediation
period, is like an individual worrying about a minor cut on his finger
while undergoing a major heart attack.

My opinion, that you may or may not agree with.

Y2K Distractiions

Post by Bob Andre » Thu, 30 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Georgia has ignored Y2k from what I have seen lately.  However, the
Atlanta Year 2000 Users Group has planned a meeting at the Georgia
State Capitol in November to wake up some ignorant "good ol boys".