how to increase Conventional Memory in Win 98 SE??

how to increase Conventional Memory in Win 98 SE??

Post by ShitOn » Sat, 08 Dec 2001 08:46:46

hi folks

i need to install a DOS based program that sucks up alot of
conventional memory... problem is that i've recently 'upgraded' my
oldest computer (P1 133mHz 32MB RAM) frm win 95 to win 98 (total clean
install)...  if i remember correctly, win 98 does not load from
config.sys and autoexec.bat device drivers like win 95 would...

my question is this:

how the heck do i increase conventional mem on win 98 SE???  i have
the most basic install for win98 with no other programs, nor games...
i just have basic Sound Blaster card installed and CD rom, that's
it...

i can't even run DOS as it doesn't have enough conventional memory,
according to the error message!

pls help!

thnks!

how to increase Conventional Memory in Win 98 SE??

Post by J Yaze » Sun, 09 Dec 2001 05:51:55

Quote:>hi folks

>i need to install a DOS based program that sucks up alot of
>conventional memory... problem is that i've recently 'upgraded' my
>oldest computer (P1 133mHz 32MB RAM) frm win 95 to win 98 (total clean
>install)...  if i remember correctly, win 98 does not load from
>config.sys and autoexec.bat device drivers like win 95 would...
>  ========= SNIP ==========

   Win98SE accepts the config.sys and autoexec.bat.

   It sounds like you are trying to run a DOS based program from
 a DOS window. You won't get enough memory that way.

  Start up instead to a DOS command prompt mode. While
 booting, holf down F8 and select "Command prompt only"
 from the menu. This mode also accepts the above files.

     Jack

how to increase Conventional Memory in Win 98 SE??

Post by ShitOn » Tue, 11 Dec 2001 16:56:25

thnks for the advice, however, i already am aware of that option...

it is just that i need to be able to access the DOS program via WIN 98
as i need to make it as simple as possible for a novice user to access
it...

all the novice user knows is to turn on computer and click on that
program... anything else is asking too much of her! :)

> >hi folks

> >i need to install a DOS based program that sucks up alot of
> >conventional memory... problem is that i've recently 'upgraded' my
> >oldest computer (P1 133mHz 32MB RAM) frm win 95 to win 98 (total clean
> >install)...  if i remember correctly, win 98 does not load from
> >config.sys and autoexec.bat device drivers like win 95 would...
> >  ========= SNIP ==========

>    Win98SE accepts the config.sys and autoexec.bat.

>    It sounds like you are trying to run a DOS based program from
>  a DOS window. You won't get enough memory that way.

>   Start up instead to a DOS command prompt mode. While
>  booting, holf down F8 and select "Command prompt only"
>  from the menu. This mode also accepts the above files.

>      Jack

1. win'95 and conventional memory

Hey everybody,
        I'm having a little problem with my conventional memory running
MS-dos programs from in Win'95 and from the Dos restart; I don't have
enough of it.  When I first started with Win'95, I had about 575
conventional, but now it has dropped down to something like 480, I can't
tell how this happenned, because my autoexec and config seem to be the
same as they were in the past, but now I can't run the programs, even if
I set the memory properties of a dos program within Win'95 to be like
600, I get the message that I don't have enough system resources to run
the program with that much Conv Memory.  I've tried shutting down every
win app before running, but I still have the same amount of Conventional
memory available.  Is there a program like QEMM386 that I should use or
memmaker for dos 6.2? I'd appreciate any help you may offer,
                        Brian Upshaw
                        http://upshaw.student.harvard.edu

PS.  I have 16MB of Ram, so i don't think that's the problem.

2. Filesystem for Flash Memory

3. 2nd CFP for OM-98: Workshop on Organizational Memories during ECAI-98

4. SUMMARY[2] Orange binders

5. Windows 98 SE

6. PIX500 loses config

7. Philips Speech Mike USB problems in Windows 98 SE

8. McIDAS anyone?

9. Free check-ins or stable check-ins?

10. Conventional Memory

11. On the subject of Conventional Memory . . .

12. REQ: Does anyone know how to boost conventional memory?