Even With Anti Virus Software-I seem to be sending out a virus with attachments

Post by topj.. » Fri, 31 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Even With Anti Virus Software-I seem to be sending out a virus
with attachments
*****************

Why is this happening ?? And what can I do to get rid of this virus.

The funny thing is when I cc myself on this attachment, I do
not get the virus, it is only when i send it out to some other computer
that the virus appears. It is so frustrating and embarassing.

PLEASE HELP!!!

Thanks
Linda

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Post by Bob Mac » Fri, 31 Dec 1999 04:00:00

> Even With Anti Virus Software-I seem to be sending out a virus
> with attachments
> *****************

> Why is this happening ?? And what can I do to get rid of this virus.

> The funny thing is when I cc myself on this attachment, I do
> not get the virus, it is only when i send it out to some other computer
> that the virus appears. It is so frustrating and embarassing.

> PLEASE HELP!!!

> Thanks
> Linda

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Re-format your computer and send out notes of apology to all who received
the virus.
And next time quit opening attachments from strange people.

Post by Zipp » Fri, 31 Dec 1999 04:00:00

>Even With Anti Virus Software-I seem to be sending out a virus
>with attachments
>*****************

>Why is this happening ?? And what can I do to get rid of this virus.

>The funny thing is when I cc myself on this attachment, I do
>not get the virus, it is only when i send it out to some other computer
>that the virus appears. It is so frustrating and embarassing.

>PLEASE HELP!!!

>Thanks
>Linda

What virus?

Even With Anti Virus Software-I seem to be sending out a virus with attachments

Post by Deniz Oezme » Sat, 01 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Bob Mace schrieb:

Quote:> Re-format your computer and send out notes of apology to all who received
> the virus.
> And next time quit opening attachments from strange people.

Ouch! Please no overkill... most viruses are easily removable without
formatting...

--
Regards,

Deniz Oezmen
eMail: <Quantensprung [at] GMX [dot] net>

....DB 0xB4, 0x4C, 0xCD, 0x21....

Even With Anti Virus Software-I seem to be sending out a virus with attachments

Post by Deniz Oezme » Sat, 01 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> Even With Anti Virus Software-I seem to be sending out a virus
> with attachments
> *****************

> Why is this happening ?? And what can I do to get rid of this virus.

> The funny thing is when I cc myself on this attachment, I do
> not get the virus, it is only when i send it out to some other computer
> that the virus appears. It is so frustrating and embarassing.

> PLEASE HELP!!!

> Thanks
> Linda

Which AV program have you used? Is it (the engine and the definitions)
up-to-date?
You could try F-Prot (http://www.complex.is) or AVP (http://www.avp.ru) to
double-check your system.
Use one or both of them and set them to scan all files. I'm quite sure that
if your PC has a virus, at least one of them triggers at it.
Come back and tell us the results....
Btw: It doesn't have to be embarassing. It's not your fault (if you have
regularly updated your defs.... =).

--

Post by Tore T. Stubhau » Sat, 01 Jan 2000 04:00:00

> Re-format your computer and send out notes of apology to all who received
> the virus.
> And next time quit opening attachments from strange people.

Messages like that belong in alt.comp.virus.humor

--

If you send me unsolicited commercial e-mail ("spam"), you are placing
yourself at great risk of losing your Internet access.

Post by Rober » Sat, 01 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>Even With Anti Virus Software-I seem to be sending out a virus
>with attachments
>*****************

What Anti-Virus software are you running (make, version etc.) ?

When was the last time you updated the virus definitions ?

What virus do you seem to be sending out ?

How was it detected and by whom ?

Quote:

>Why is this happening ??

Without the information I have requested above it is hard to guess.

Quote:>And what can I do to get rid of this virus.

That depends on the virus. Removal can go from trivial to complicated.
Most often the best way is with an up-to-date AV suite. If yours is
already bang up to date, then you will want to send a copy of the virus
to your AV manufacturer in accordance with their guidelines for sending
samples.

Quote:

>The funny thing is when I cc myself on this attachment, I do
>not get the virus, it is only when i send it out to some other computer
>that the virus appears. It is so frustrating and embarassing.

That could be true of several viruses that go out as email attachments

Quote:

>PLEASE HELP!!!

I would be pleased to offer whatever help I can, if you can supply the
details that I have requested.

Quote:

--
Robert                    Those who can, do
                          Those who can't, teach

Post by Frederic Bonro » Sat, 01 Jan 2000 04:00:00

> Re-format your computer

Yikes! That is not necessary at all!

Even With Anti Virus Software-I seem to be sending out a virus with attachments

Post by akh.. » Sat, 01 Jan 2000 04:00:00

I mailed Linda privately after Bob's helpful initial comment and sent
her to Trends on-line scan.  It cleaned 10 infected files and failed to
clean Book1.  Linda reported that the infection was Marker, although
there had to be more than that unless W97M/Marker has a X97M cousin?
Had her delete Book1 since it's the Excel template.

Also sent her instructions on re-enabling Macro protection.

Ian

Post by Frederic Bonro » Mon, 03 Jan 2000 04:00:00

> but reformatting is the safest way, it gets rid of them for sure!

Not necessarily. Some viruses survive it. And it's absolutely not
necessary.

Post by Tore T. Stubhau » Mon, 03 Jan 2000 04:00:00

> but reformatting is the safest way, it gets rid of them for sure!

No.
1) Reformatting is by no means safe for what's on the hard disk,
2) In the case of a virus infecting the Master Boot Record, reformatting
will remove everything _except_ the virus.

--

Quote:> Bob Mace schrieb:

> > Re-format your computer and send out notes of apology to all who
received
> > the virus.
> > And next time quit opening attachments from strange people.

> Ouch! Please no overkill... most viruses are easily removable without
> formatting...

> --
> Regards,

> Deniz Oezmen
> eMail: <Quantensprung [at] GMX [dot] net>

> ....DB 0xB4, 0x4C, 0xCD, 0x21....

Even With Anti Virus Software-I seem to be sending out a virus with attachments

Post by akh.. » Tue, 04 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Reformatting is not the safest way, there's the option of completely
degaussing the disk, sealing it in molten lead, burying it under
Chernobyl (the nuke power plant, not CIH), and dancing * at the
crossroads on easter Sunday.

Or you could just clean the viruses off and carry on.  Your call.

Ian

> but reformatting is the safest way, it gets rid of them for sure!

> > Bob Mace schrieb:

> > > Re-format your computer and send out notes of apology to all who
> received
> > > the virus.
> > > And next time quit opening attachments from strange people.

> > Ouch! Please no overkill... most viruses are easily removable
> > without formatting...

> > Regards,
> > Deniz Oezmen

Before you buy.

Post by l.. » Tue, 04 Jan 2000 04:00:00

> Reformatting is not the safest way, there's the option of completely
> degaussing the disk, sealing it in molten lead, burying it under
> Chernobyl (the nuke power plant, not CIH), and dancing * at the
> crossroads on easter Sunday.
> Or you could just clean the viruses off and carry on.  Your call.

Speaking of which, can viruses hide in the 32MB of your video card?

Post by kurt wisme » Tue, 04 Jan 2000 04:00:00

> > Bob Mace schrieb:

> > > Re-format your computer and send out notes of apology to all who
> received
> > > the virus.
> > > And next time quit opening attachments from strange people.

> > Ouch! Please no overkill... most viruses are easily removable without
> > formatting...

> but reformatting is the safest way, it gets rid of them for sure!

as a matter of fact, you're wrong... there are some viruses for which
reformatting will remove everything except the virus...

--
"when i ran i didn't feel like a runaway
 when i escaped i didn't feel like i got away

1. PLEASE HELP !!I seem to be sending out a virus with attachments- Even With Anti Virus Software

Even With Anti Virus Software-I seem to be sending out a virus
with attachments
*****************

Why is this happening ?? And what can I do to get rid of this virus.

The funny thing is when I cc myself on this attachment, I do
not get the virus, it is only when i send it out to some other computer
that the virus appears. It is so frustrating and embarassing.

PLEASE HELP!!!

Thanks
Linda

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. Gemulator 96 and Tos 2.06 images

3. NEED YOUR HELP - IN RETURN COULD WIN ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE

4. reinstalling win98

5. Net2Phone Worse than a COCOT!

6. Dragon & anti virus software

7. Is there a IIgs emulator??

8. NEED YOUR HELP - IN RETURN COULD WIN ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE

9. Anti-Virus Software

10. McAfee virus Scan question (possible boot sector virus)

11. Antigen Notification:Antigen found VIRUS= HTML/MimeExploit.IFRAME (CA(InoculateIT),CA(Vet)) virus

12. PROPOSAL: alt.comp.virus An unmoderated forum for discussing computer viruses