CVS - how to start server

Post by Steve Clin » Thu, 12 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Hi all,

I know I am missing something obvious, but will someone please rub my
nose in it? I want my WinCVS client to talk to a Unix based CVS
repository.  What do I need to do on the server side to make it visible
to the WinCVS client? Settings, start parameters, unix system file
changes, etc.  Is something supposed to be actively running?  How is it
started?  And once that is done, how do I get the WinCVS to see it?

TIA,
--

http://mypage.ihost.com/SteveCline
"Do what's right, and try to get along with people, in that order"

CVS - how to start server

Post by Jan-Peter Wilhel » Fri, 13 Nov 1998 04:00:00

>Hi all,
>I know I am missing something obvious, but will someone please rub my
>nose in it? I want my WinCVS client to talk to a Unix based CVS
>repository.  What do I need to do on the server side to make it visible
>to the WinCVS client? Settings, start parameters, unix system file
>changes, etc.  Is something supposed to be actively running?  How is it
>started?  And once that is done, how do I get the WinCVS to see it?

On your unix system you have to use inetd to start a cvs server for each
client. To do so you have to modify your /etc/inetd.conf and possibly your
/etc/services file.

Append to your /etc/services file:
cvspserver    2401/tcp

Append to your /etc/inetd.conf file:
cvspserver      stream  tcp     nowait  root    <path>/cvs cvs --allow-root=<CVS repository> pserver
Replace <path> with the real path of the cvs binary and <CVS repository>
with the path of your cvs repository. If you prefer not to send your password
unencrypted over your network, you can substitute 'pserver' with another
authentication mechanism. For details look at "Version Management with CVS,
Per Cederqvist et al" (sorry, I have no URL).

Don't forget to restart your inetd!

Jan.
--
Jan-Peter Wilhelms
debis IT Security Services, Tel.: +49-228-9841121, Fax: +49-228-984160

CVS - how to start server

Post by Steve Clin » Fri, 13 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Thanks for the head start!  BTW, the Documentation FAQ is at
http://www.loria.fr/cgi-bin/molli/wilma.cgi/doc and the reference manual is at
http://www.loria.fr/~molli/cvs/doc/cvs_toc.html. I just couldn't find the relevant section.

> On your unix system you have to use inetd to start a cvs server for each
> client.

So if we have 4 developers, we need 4 clients?

Quote:> To do so you have to modify your /etc/inetd.conf and possibly your
> /etc/services file.

> Append to your /etc/services file:
> cvspserver    2401/tcp

> Append to your /etc/inetd.conf file:
> cvspserver      stream  tcp     nowait  root    <path>/cvs cvs --allow-root=<CVS repository> pserver
> Replace <path> with the real path of the cvs binary and <CVS repository>
> with the path of your cvs repository. If you prefer not to send your password
> unencrypted over your network, you can substitute 'pserver' with another
> authentication mechanism. For details look at "Version Management with CVS,
> Per Cederqvist et al" (sorry, I have no URL).

Version 1.9 can be found at  http://wwwinfo.cern.ch/asd/cvs/ or http://www.fido.de/~kama/cvshelp_e.html
as a Windows help file.

ttfn,
--

Post by Marcin Kaspersk » Sat, 14 Nov 1998 04:00:00

> 1.What exactly is cvs --allow-root option?

This option specifies which directories can be specified by clients as
roots of CVS trees

Quote:> 3.Is there a way for me to find out if the server is up and running on
> my Linux box?

CVS server is not "up and running" - it rather starts on demand, does
required processing and finishes.
Just try to do any CVS operation - if it is done, everything is ok.

--
Marcin Kasperski

CVS - how to start server

Post by sean dreiling » Sat, 14 Nov 1998 04:00:00

  | 1.What exactly is cvs --allow-root option?

to tell cvs where to start looking for your repository in the file system.

  | 2.Why is this different from page 19 of the manual? The manual mentions
  | these two lines :

two online copies of the Cerdqvist CVS 1.10 manual have it different:
  http://www.loria.fr/~molli/cvs/doc/cvs_2.html#SEC30
  http://interactivate.com/public/cvswebsites/doc/cvs_2.html#SEC30

i have a 5-step quick howto here:
  http://interactivate.com/public/cvswebsites/howto-cvs/node37.html

  | the /etc/services to create a service alias for port 2401.Then I restarted
  | inetd by rebooting the machine. However, my jcvs client still cannot talk to

ouch! if you prefer, on a linux machine you can type

        killall -HUP inetd

and skip the reboot. beware that command on other flavors of unix.

  | 3.Is there a way for me to find out if the server is up and running on
  | my Linux box?

telnet server-hostname 2401 - if you get a connection, thats good :-)
it will look a little like this:

   Trying 206.40.197.2...
   Connected to mittal.somewhere.edu.
   Escape character is '^]'.
   later
   cvs [pserver aborted]: bad auth protocol start: later

  | This is the manual I mentioned earlier. It's available at
  | http://www.loria.fr/~molli/cvs/doc/cvs_toc.html

you may have been reading the wrong section for the inetd.conf lines. try the 3
URLs above. good luck!!

--sean :-)

--
                            sean dreilinger, mlis
                   http://interactivate.com/sean/

CVS - how to start server

Post by Jan-Peter Wilhel » Sat, 14 Nov 1998 04:00:00

>1.What exactly is cvs --allow-root option?

The manual (for cvs 1.9.28) says (page 82):
--allow-root=<rootdir>
   Specify legal CVSROOT directory. [...]

Quote:>2.Why is this different from page 19 of the manual? The manual mentions
>these two lines :
>cvspserver   stream   tcp  nowait root <path>/cvs
>cvs -b <path-to-rcs-binaries> pserver

I'd guess you are using a different cvs version than 1.9.28?

Quote:>3.Is there a way for me to find out if the server is up and running on
>my Linux box?

Try from your linux console: "telnet localhost 2401". If you get a connection,
your server is running.

Jan.
--
Jan-Peter Wilhelms
debis IT Security Services, Tel.: +49-228-9841121, Fax: +49-228-984160

1. CVS server on Caldera OpenLinux 2.4 with repository on Windows 2000 file server

Hi there!
I have a problem here concerning CVS repository. Our company has a
Windows 2000 file server and a Linux machine running OpenLinux 2.4. We
have installed our CVS in our Linux system but we would like the CVS
repository to reside on the Windows 2000 server (because it is being
backed up daily). In order to achieve this, we used the Samba package
in Linux, so that one of the folders in our Windows 2000 server is
designated to contain our CVS repository.
After using Samba, we found that CVS commit does not work at all. CVS
import still works, but after importing we could not make any further
changes to the repository.

Does anybody have any solution to this problem? Thank you and have a
nice day.

Ramesh

2. Indy keyboard map for tn3270?

3. CVS and ssh? cvs server hangs

4. Frontpage 2000 no longer accessible...

5. CVS and SSH Hangs, and CVS server won't quit!

6. fax server setup problems

7. cvs server : cvs co -d ... not working (1.10.5 and 1.10.6)

8. m68k macro assembler

9. starting java servers using TAO IMR

10. trouble starting name server

11. IMR crashes when server app it started is SIGKILL-ed

12. Getting Stack over flow while starting the servers