VAXstation3100 M76 won't boot NetBSD, did RTFM

VAXstation3100 M76 won't boot NetBSD, did RTFM

Post by Marcus Danie » Wed, 18 Feb 1998 04:00:00



Hi !

I recently got hold of an old VAXstation 3100 M76 for free. Sadly it came
without OS and without documentation.

I was happy to find that  NetBSD is supposed to run on it and immideately
proceeded to install it via mopd with my linux box. The VAX Netboot HOWTO
provides a nice walkthrough.

Everything seems to be just fine, the VAX communicates with mopd, but then
it all just stops:

-ESA0

Quote:>> NetBSD/vax boot [980110 22:29] <<

: /netbsd

?50 SCB2NDINT, ESA0
?06 HLT INST
    PC = 00000B51

Thats it!

I correctly put the VAX in my rarp table. I veryfied the function of rarp
with another linux box hooked up as diskless.

Why doesn't the VAX get its IP address ?
What does SCB2NDINT mean  ?

I used NetBSD 1.3 binaries.

I leftjust two SIMMS in the VAX, so it must surly be below 16MB as required
for netbooting with netbsd.

As you can see I am at a total loss.

Your help would be much appreciated. Please also email your answer.

Thanks a bunch


 
 
 

VAXstation3100 M76 won't boot NetBSD, did RTFM

Post by Geeepe » Thu, 19 Feb 1998 04:00:00


On Tue, 17 Feb 1998 23:56:23 +0100, "Marcus Daniel"


>Hi !

>I recently got hold of an old VAXstation 3100 M76 for free. Sadly it came
>without OS and without documentation.

>I was happy to find that  NetBSD is supposed to run on it and immideately
>proceeded to install it via mopd with my linux box. The VAX Netboot HOWTO
>provides a nice walkthrough.

>Everything seems to be just fine, the VAX communicates with mopd, but then
>it all just stops:

>-ESA0
>>> NetBSD/vax boot [980110 22:29] <<
>: /netbsd

>?50 SCB2NDINT, ESA0
>?06 HLT INST
>    PC = 00000B51

>Thats it!

>I correctly put the VAX in my rarp table. I veryfied the function of rarp
>with another linux box hooked up as diskless.

>Why doesn't the VAX get its IP address ?
>What does SCB2NDINT mean  ?

This is pointing to the SCB (System Control Block) that the firmware
uses to service internet and exceptions on a VAX.  When it goes to
Initialize the Ethernet device (ESA0:) its crapping out, could be
several reasons.  

1)   NetBSD can't be read by the Ethernet device, i.e., something is
wrong in the setup on the "serving" system.

2)  NetBSD v1.3 doesn't like the firmware version of the microcode on
the System and hence won't talk to it correctly.  

3) Ethernet's broke

4) Ethernet controller on the VAX is broke

Quote:

>I used NetBSD 1.3 binaries.

This should work

Quote:

>I leftjust two SIMMS in the VAX, so it must surly be below 16MB as required
>for netbooting with netbsd.

Should be fine,

Quote:

>As you can see I am at a total loss.

So really, I didn't provide you with much more information that you
aleady knew. Question?  How long after the boot command until it craps
out and halts on you?

Quote:

>Your help would be much appreciated. Please also email your answer.

Not much help, just a few things to look at.

HTH

brent

- Show quoted text -

>Thanks a bunch




 
 
 

VAXstation3100 M76 won't boot NetBSD, did RTFM

Post by Jan H?keg? » Tue, 03 Mar 1998 04:00:00


I'm no expert at NetBSD since I never used it, but AFAIK NetBSD VAX
does not support any of the VAXstation 3100 series machines.

If it does this must be very new -- since the information at
www.netbsd.org explicitly says that the VAXstation 3100 is _not_
supported.

So if this is not out of date you can not run NetBSD on your machine.
Further, AFAIK not even Ultrix is supported on the M76 (it is on
the M30/M38 though), so your only choise is VMS.

Correct me if I am wrong!

/Jan


>Hi !
>I recently got hold of an old VAXstation 3100 M76 for free. Sadly it came
>without OS and without documentation.
>I was happy to find that  NetBSD is supposed to run on it and immideately
>proceeded to install it via mopd with my linux box. The VAX Netboot HOWTO
>provides a nice walkthrough.
>Everything seems to be just fine, the VAX communicates with mopd, but then
>it all just stops:
>-ESA0
>>> NetBSD/vax boot [980110 22:29] <<
>: /netbsd
>?50 SCB2NDINT, ESA0
>?06 HLT INST
>    PC = 00000B51

>Thats it!
>I correctly put the VAX in my rarp table. I veryfied the function of rarp
>with another linux box hooked up as diskless.
>Why doesn't the VAX get its IP address ?
>What does SCB2NDINT mean  ?
>I used NetBSD 1.3 binaries.
>I leftjust two SIMMS in the VAX, so it must surly be below 16MB as required
>for netbooting with netbsd.
>As you can see I am at a total loss.
>Your help would be much appreciated. Please also email your answer.
>Thanks a bunch


 
 
 

VAXstation3100 M76 won't boot NetBSD, did RTFM

Post by JARA » Tue, 03 Mar 1998 04:00:00




>I'm no expert at NetBSD since I never used it, but AFAIK NetBSD VAX
>does not support any of the VAXstation 3100 series machines.

I've got a VAXstation 3100/M30 and an M38 which would disagree with you.
The support is unlisted on the NetBSD/vax pages as it is either considered
to be an unofficially supported platform, or no one's taken the time to
update the pages.  It is true that it's not completely supported platform
(disk support is still extremely weak), and the that the systems tend to
only run reliable in a diskless client fashion.  I've put together some
info on booting NetBSD from the network,

http://world.std.com/~bdc/projects/vaxen/

The porting efforts could greatly benefit from someone with solid hardware
knowledge of the newer VAX models (newer meaning anything more recent than
the VS/MV2000).  Any takers? :-)

Quote:>If it does this must be very new -- since the information at
>www.netbsd.org explicitly says that the VAXstation 3100 is _not_
>supported.

The netbooting support of the VAXstation 3100 has been around for about a
year now.

Quote:>So if this is not out of date you can not run NetBSD on your machine.
>Further, AFAIK not even Ultrix is supported on the M76 (it is on
>the M30/M38 though), so your only choise is VMS.

The development of the current VAXstation 3100 support was carried
out primarily with M76 support in mind. It's generally the best behaved
model of VAXstation 3100 to run NetBSD/vax on as well.

Though apparently the original poster is having some difficulties :-/
It definitely looks like RARP is getting hung up somewhere in the boot
procedure.  Are you sure that you've given the correct hardware ethernet
address for the VAX in the ARP and RARP tables?

-brian.
--
---
Brian "JARAI" Chase | http://world.std.com/~bdc/ | VAXZilla LIVES!!!

 
 
 

1. ULTRIX VAXStation3100 won't boot w/ 24MBytes of RAM

--------[I'm posting this for a friend]-----------------

I have a VAXStation3100 model 30 (VS42A-BA), running diskless.  
When I increased the RAM from 8MBytes to 24MBytes it quit booting, as
outlined below.  Can anybody help???

OS is ULTRIX 3.0, served from a MicroVAXII that is also running ULTRIX 3.0.
I have "physmem" set at 24MBytes and have a 64MByte (!) swap file, both
of which can be seen in the boot emissions below.  The system boots
properly with 8MBytes, and when I add the 16MBytes (DEC memory) it
crashes as shown, then when I go back to 8MBytes it works again.  I do
not change any software stuff on either machine between the experiments.
It also fails if I install the 16MByte card w/o piggybacking the 4MB
card.  The PROM diagnostics 0, A, and B show no errors.

The "t 0" PROM diagnostic with 24MBytes installed says:

KA42-B V1.2 01 CU
F 00B0 MONO 0000.0001 2 0005 0 00:02:39
C 0080 DZ   0000.0001 4      0 00:02:59
B 0010 MEM  003E.0001 2 0038 0 00:02:59
1 00C0 NI   0000.0001 3      0 00:02:50

The DEC document is not really clear on what constitutes a failure of
this test, but it does say something about double question-marks
indicating a failure.  Is this a successful run of the test?

The configuration is not pure DEC in that we run the diskless machine
out of a normal directory tree on the host machine, rather than in a
disk partition.  I can provide more details should this prove relevant.

Here is what shows up on the screen after the initial boot banner.
(24MBytes installed) Note that the RAM size is correct, as is the
swapfile size.  The error seems to be some sort of RPC problem, but
I can't believe that it is anything other than a random consequence
of some underlying problem.  Recall that it works with the 8MBytes of
ram, so a real RPC failure seems unlikely.

Ultrix-32 V3.0 (Rev 64) System #3: <date...>
real mem  = 25042944
avail mem = 20944896
using 1222 buffers containing 2503680 bytes of memory
KA420 processor with an FPU
ss0 at uba0 csr 0x200a0000 vec 0xc0, ipl 0x14
sm0 at uba0 csr 0x200f0000 vec 0x44, ipl 0x14
se0 at uba0 csr 0x200e0000 vec 0x50, ipl 0x14
root on mocvax:/vars/moc3/root
swap on mocvax:/tmp/moc3/moc3.swap
swap size - 131072 blocks
                        <X Cursor hangs at 'X' for maybe 30 seconds, then>
mountrpc: pmap_kgetport returned error 1
panic: nfs_mountrpc cannot get port for mount service
<register dumps...>


I thank everyone for the help I'm sure I will receive.  Thanks!
- Kirk Reinholtz

2. Ping of Death

3. VaxStation3100 NetBSD boot hangs

4. How to restart IIS every 4 hours automatically ?

5. VAXstation3100 and NetBSD

6. Frontpage postioning

7. HELP! DOS 6.22/Win 3.11 + Win '95

8. User account for network printing only

9. Vax doesn't boot with NetBSD

10. Giles' Manual Mania (Was - Re: About the 'F' in RTFM)

11. PS/2 Model 30 Boots in BASIC, want to boot in DOS

12. Toshiba 1000SE won't boot..