Computer Science Engineering vs. Computer Science

Computer Science Engineering vs. Computer Science

Post by Tony » Wed, 09 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

I am 16 years old and am looking at colleges. Whenever I browse through the
programs I see C.S under engineering and its own category. What's the
difference.

If you have majored in computer anything, I'd appreciate it if you could
email me explaining the program. Anything will be great.

-Thanks

Post by Glenn Book » Thu, 10 Dec 1998 04:00:00

>Hi,

>I am 16 years old and am looking at colleges. Whenever I browse through the
>programs I see C.S under engineering and its own category. What's the
>difference.

>If you have majored in computer anything, I'd appreciate it if you could
>email me explaining the program. Anything will be great.

>-Thanks

The difference is due to different focus of the programs.
CS may be an engineering curriculum to focus on the design of
compilers, computer architecture, etc.  That usually falls under an
engineering degree (BS).

Or CS can be a liberal arts degree (BA), which may focus more on
programming languages and techniques.

Or you may want an Information Science degree, which will tend to
focus on use of database systems or library science issues.

Does that help?

Glenn Booker

Computer Science Engineering vs. Computer Science

Post by Glenn Engstran » Thu, 10 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Well it's been a decade since I graduated, Tony. Back then, taking C.S.
meant that you would also have to take foreign language courses and
taking C.E. meant that you would also have to take additional E.E.
courses.

Glenn

        Posted At:      Tuesday, December 08, 1998 7:39 PM
        Posted To:      software-eng
        Conversation:   Computer Science Engineering vs. Computer
Science
        Subject:        Computer Science Engineering vs. Computer
Science

        Hi,

        I am 16 years old and am looking at colleges. Whenever I browse
through the
        programs I see C.S under engineering and its own category.
What's the
        difference.

        If you have majored in computer anything, I'd appreciate it if
you could
        email me explaining the program. Anything will be great.

        -Thanks

Computer Science Engineering vs. Computer Science

Post by ci.. » Thu, 10 Dec 1998 04:00:00

I am in a similar situation (I tend to over-explain some things, and
under-explain others, so please bare with me.  Also, I understand this
might be the wrong group, considering the topic...)

I am 21 and have been attending a community college (which, has had
the reputation of screwing people up to varying degrees...) and after
my first semester I spoke to a counselor about making my major
computer science. They proceeded to give me these fact sheets for
requirements for transfer to several colleges.  The program I have
been following for the last few years was Math/Computer Science for
the University of Illinois and CS for S. Ill. U. (hedging my bets) and
all was well and good until I accidently stubled across the fact that
the UoI offered an engineering Computer Science Degree (Not Computer
Engineering, but they offer that too.)  I can't get a really straight
answer from anyone as to the differences and uses between/for each
degree.  All I know is the Math/CS is an LAS major, which has caused
me the most grief due to the foreign language requirement (4 sem.
which required me stay at this school a year and a half longer than I
wanted to...)  everything here conflicts with something else on the
schedule.  Then I discover the S. IL. U. transfer requirements on the
sheet were wrong, which has resulted in about 18 wasted hours in
addition to another 18 I'll have to make up.  As a result, I'm looking
at another 2 years (everything conflicts) of just making up physics
and chem requirements for the Engineering CS degree and the SIU CS.
Even people at the UoI have no idea of the REAL difference (I was
given conflicting information by two people 'in the know' at UoI).
Anyone out here able to tell me?
(I know at some level this is all my fault for putting faith
in...y'know...people.  But the general consensus of our hometown is
that our community college is bad in all departments.)
My goals out of this?  I wanted to go into computer programming, but
I'm getting the sick feeling the Engineering CS is what I want and the
Math/CS degree is just a fancy piece of paper that will do me no good
in terms of employment later on..

Depending on what I find out, I might just have a second horror story
for you all involving a public community college and $189 an hour
transfer credit...

Thanks.

Computer Science Engineering vs. Computer Science

Post by Fred » Thu, 10 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> (I know at some level this is all my fault for
putting faith
> in...y'know...people.  But the general consensus of our hometown is
> that our community college is bad in all departments.)
> My goals out of this?  I wanted to go into computer programming, but
> I'm getting the sick feeling the Engineering CS is what I want and the
> Math/CS degree is just a fancy piece of paper that will do me no good
> in terms of employment later on..

CS/Math degree will do you just as well as a CS/Engineering degree.  And
beware, CS isn't just computer programming so when you get into the
senior-level CS electives, you'll find yourself not learning so much about
programming but more theoretical issues.  If you find yourself wanting to
work in a company such as Intel, AMD, Compaq, Sun, etc...a CS/Engineering
degree might be more valuable.  However, for the most part, a CS/Math will
be just the same.  And realize, about the only thing you'll learn in
undergrad is that you don't know enough.  But you learn how to learn
and how to solve problems which is the important issue.  Job experience
counts the most so don't get fazed out wondering which degree will offer
the most value.  (Now when you start talking about Masters-level degree,
that's different)
  Going back to the posting about the difference between CS/Math and
CS/Engineering.  I'm personally from UoI and I was in the CS/Engineering.
The differences are
1) the general-education courses you take.  The liberal arts college have
different requirements than the engineering college.  Check the schools'
websites and it should list the requirements.
2) the CS electives you take.  Most of the electives in the CS/Math
curriculum will be math courses.  They're not exactly your typical calc
course so if you've enjoyed calc, well, that's not a clear indication if
you'll enjoy the other courses.  CS/math tend to be really theoretical.
For CS/Engineering, you're not bound to those math courses but can take
different CS courses such as computer architecture, hardware, etc.  You're
still going to need to take some of those mathematical-based courses such
as Combinatorial Algorithms (which if you don't know what it is and
you're planning on coming to UoI, be scared...be really scared) but you're
given more flexibility.  Of course, I know a lot of CS/Math ppl that take
a wide variety of CS courses so I mean, you're not restricted in
CS/Math....pretty much, it's how much time you have and how you want to
tailor your curriculum.

Good luck.

-Fred

Post by Mike Smit » Thu, 10 Dec 1998 04:00:00

>>I am 16 years old and am looking at colleges. Whenever I browse through
the
>>programs I see C.S under engineering and its own category. What's the
>>difference.

>The difference is due to different focus of the programs.
>CS may be an engineering curriculum to focus on the design of
>compilers, computer architecture, etc.  That usually falls under an
>engineering degree (BS).

>Or CS can be a liberal arts degree (BA), which may focus more on
>programming languages and techniques.

>Or you may want an Information Science degree, which will tend to
>focus on use of database systems or library science issues.

Just to confuse things a little more ;-), my alma mater has a BS in Computer
Science, and a BS in Computer Engineering (no BA degrees).  However, the
CompE degree is really an EE degree where most of the electives are replaced
with CS courses.  Also, the CS degree is the one that gets into more
esoteric stuff (compilers, SE, numerical methods, etc.) vs. the CompE degree
that sticks more to computer hardware.  At the grad level, there are MS
degrees in EE, CS, CompE, *and* MIS.  Decisions, decisions...
--
Mike Smith.  No, the other one.

Post by Matthew S. Jaff » Thu, 10 Dec 1998 04:00:00

> Hi,

> I am 16 years old and am looking at colleges. Whenever I browse through the
> programs I see C.S under engineering and its own category. What's the
> difference.

> If you have majored in computer anything, I'd appreciate it if you could
> email me explaining the program. Anything will be great.

> -Thanks

At Embry-Riddle, where I am chairman of the Computer Science Program, the
distinction is in the balance between hardware and software.  Both majors
require mastering the basics in both areas (hardware and software) but the
computer engineers take more advanced hardware design courses, while the
computer science majors take more advanced software and applied mathematics
courses.  Hit http://www.pr.erau.edu/~eecs/acadprog.html to get a feel for how
we handle the two curricula.  Drop me a line if you want more information.  (If
that web page doesn't help you, let me know and I'll shoot my webmaster ;-)

...Matt       http://pr.erau.edu/~jaffem

To avoid spam, I don't read the email box corresponding to the posting
address of this post.

To email a reply to me personally, check my web page at the URL above.
Sorry for any inconvenience.

Post by JRSte » Sat, 12 Dec 1998 04:00:00

>If you have majored in computer anything, I'd appreciate it if you could
>email me explaining the program. Anything will be great.

I majored in computer something, got an MS in it.  Back then, the CS
department was under Arts and Sciences, along with Math and Physics.
Now my alma mater has moved it into the engineering program.  I do not
approve, but there it is.  I need to check out the catalog, see if you
can still count the courses under either school like you could then,
maybe it's no big deal.

But even though this is a software engineering newsgroup, I don't look
at computer science ("science"!) as engineering, I will even argue the
position that software development (of the kind of commercial
applications, web sites, payroll, word processor ad-ons, etc that I
do) has such large social, management, and aesthetic elements, that it
differs from the other departments in most engineering schools.

So, in closing, I'd give extra points to any school that has their
computer science OUTSIDE the engineering department.  FWIW.

Joshua Stern

Post by IM Sobe » Sun, 13 Dec 1998 04:00:00

> >If you have majored in computer anything, I'd appreciate it if you could
> >email me explaining the program. Anything will be great.

> I majored in computer something, got an MS in it.  Back then, the CS
> department was under Arts and Sciences, along with Math and Physics.
> Now my alma mater has moved it into the engineering program.  I do not
> approve, but there it is.  I need to check out the catalog, see if you
> can still count the courses under either school like you could then,
> maybe it's no big deal.

> But even though this is a software engineering newsgroup, I don't look
> at computer science ("science"!) as engineering, I will even argue the
> position that software development (of the kind of commercial
> applications, web sites, payroll, word processor ad-ons, etc that I
> do) has such large social, management, and aesthetic elements, that it
> differs from the other departments in most engineering schools.

> So, in closing, I'd give extra points to any school that has their
> computer science OUTSIDE the engineering department.  FWIW.

> Joshua Stern

It seems one of the reasons why CS is being merged with EE at many major
universities is to anticipate the eventual regulation of software
engineering as a profession much like electrical engineering. Computer
systems are getting more complex and with that, public safety will
become an important issue of the future. One only needs to consider the
Y2K problem.

Post by JRSte » Tue, 15 Dec 1998 04:00:00

>It seems one of the reasons why CS is being merged with EE at many major
>universities is to anticipate the eventual regulation of software
>engineering as a profession much like electrical engineering.

Then they should merge it with the law school.

J.

Post by IM Sobe » Tue, 15 Dec 1998 04:00:00

> >It seems one of the reasons why CS is being merged with EE at many major
> >universities is to anticipate the eventual regulation of software
> >engineering as a profession much like electrical engineering.

> Then they should merge it with the law school.

> J.

That's not a bad idea. Law and software have a great deal in common. The
practitioners in both fields make rules and then argue about the rules
until new rules are made or the old rules are changed.

IMS

Post by Fred » Tue, 15 Dec 1998 04:00:00

> > >It seems one of the reasons why CS is being merged with EE at many major
> > >universities is to anticipate the eventual regulation of software
> > >engineering as a profession much like electrical engineering.

> > Then they should merge it with the law school.

> > J.

yeah....i think microsoft would endorse that heavily.  anyone garner how
much microsoft would donate?

-fred

1. PhD in Computer Science vs. Computer Engineering

Hello,

I have BSc and MSc in Electrical Engineering
and 10 years of work experience in the
Telecom Industry, mostly in Embedded Software
design. I am now planning to go back to
school to acquire PhD degree. The question
for me is whether to study Computer Science
or Computer Engineering.

I have interest in both, so the main criteria
for me is their future academic and
industrial applications and potential job
market.

Could you please share your opinion about the
trend and  the potential of research in these
fields.

Is there any specific topic that you would
like to recommend?

Are you aware of specific book, magazine or
websites which can help me in my research?

Thank you in advance for your information.

Dan Smith

2. really great NOVA show on computer hacker espionage

3. Software Engineering - Computer Science - Computer Engineering

4. Minimal installation of OS/2 and the VDM

5. BSc Software Engineering vs. BSc Computer Science

6. More on getting it

7. Computer Science as a Science?

8. Windows address book, Outlook Express

9. More on Computer Science and Arts & Sciences

10. Computer Science: A.A.S vs BS

11. CONFLICT in HCI Field: Computer Science vs. Psychology

12. Difference between Software Engineering and Computer Science degrees