CVS-1.10 pserver on AIX-4.2.1: port 2401 already in use

CVS-1.10 pserver on AIX-4.2.1: port 2401 already in use

Post by kevin.broa.. » Thu, 03 Jun 1999 04:00:00

I'm installing CVS-1.10 on an AIX-4.2.1 system and I want to use the
pserver access method to keep the repository isolated from the
developers.  The problem is that port 2401 is already in use - the
/etc/services file contains this:-

    writesrv 2401/tcp # Temporary Port Number

Before I go hacking away and replace this line with the "cvspserver"
service I thought I'd better find out what the consequences will be.

So what is the "writesrv" service? Will my machine work if it isn't
there at all? Would it be better for me to change it to use a different
port number? If so, what?

Alternatively, how do I tell CVS to use a different port number
(without recompiling)?

Thanks for any help.

Kevin

PS It would be helpful if you would email me a copy of you response.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Post by Jens-Uwe Mag » Fri, 04 Jun 1999 04:00:00

>I'm installing CVS-1.10 on an AIX-4.2.1 system and I want to use the
>pserver access method to keep the repository isolated from the
>developers.  The problem is that port 2401 is already in use - the
>/etc/services file contains this:-

>    writesrv 2401/tcp # Temporary Port Number

>Before I go hacking away and replace this line with the "cvspserver"
>service I thought I'd better find out what the consequences will be.

>So what is the "writesrv" service? Will my machine work if it isn't
>there at all? Would it be better for me to change it to use a different
>port number? If so, what?

The writesrv service is for using the write command across multiple
hosts. If you do not use that service, you can safely comment it out,
I am running without it for a long time.

Quote:>Alternatively, how do I tell CVS to use a different port number
>(without recompiling)?

You can simply add the cvs service to /etc/services, the cvs program
uses getservbyname to find the port number.

--
Jens-Uwe Mager  <pgp-mailto:62CFDB25>

Post by kevin.broa.. » Sat, 05 Jun 1999 04:00:00

> >I'm installing CVS-1.10 on an AIX-4.2.1 system and I want to use the
> >pserver access method to keep the repository isolated from the
> >developers.  The problem is that port 2401 is already in use - the
> >/etc/services file contains this:-

> >    writesrv 2401/tcp # Temporary Port Number

> The writesrv service is for using the write command across multiple
> hosts. If you do not use that service, you can safely comment it out,
> I am running without it for a long time.

> You can simply add the cvs service to /etc/services, the cvs program
> uses getservbyname to find the port number.

Here's how I resolved the problem of port 2401 being used by writesrv
on AIX.

don't need this service on the CVS server I simply replaced it with
the cvspserver as follows:-

    * Stop the write daemon:-
        stopsrc -s writesrv

    * Edit /etc/inittab and comment out the write server:-
        #writesrv:2:wait:/usr/bin/startsrc -swritesrv

    * Edit /etc/services to comment out writesrv and put cvspserver
      on port 2401:-
        #writesrv       2401/tcp
        cvspserver      2401/tcp

    * Restart inetd:-
        ps aux | fgrep inetd
        kill -1 <inetd pid>

Perhaps someone could add this to the CVS FAQ-O-Matic at

        http://gille.loria.fr:7000/cgi-bin/faqomatic/faq.pl

I've tried several times but I can never connect to the server.

There's a question "I use AIX. Is there anything I need to know?" that
this info should go under.

--
Kevin

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

CVS-1.10 pserver on AIX-4.2.1: port 2401 already in use

Post by Jim Kingdo » Sat, 05 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> Perhaps someone could add this to the CVS FAQ-O-Matic at
>    http://gille.loria.fr:7000/cgi-bin/faqomatic/faq.pl
> I've tried several times but I can never connect to the server.

Hmm, not sure what kinds of failures you are getting, maybe keep
trying?

There are some other problems with the FAQ-O-Matic (many of which
would be solved/helped if someone can talk Pascal Molli into upgrading
to the latest version of the FAQ-O-Matic software) but they shouldn't
prevent one from editing it at all.

Post by kevin.broa.. » Tue, 08 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> > Perhaps someone could add this to the CVS FAQ-O-Matic at
> >       http://gille.loria.fr:7000/cgi-bin/faqomatic/faq.pl
> > I've tried several times but I can never connect to the server.

> Hmm, not sure what kinds of failures you are getting, maybe keep
> trying?

The problem is that I can't connect to the server in the first place. I
get the following message in my browser...

The requested item could not be loaded by the proxy.

The connection timed out. The server could be down, unreachable, or is
not responding. If you are unable to connect again later, contact the
server's administrator.

I'm behind a company firewall, so is it possible that it's not allowing
the HTTP requests to go through to port 7000?

Kevin

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

1. CVS-1.10 pserver on AIX-4.2.1 - port 2401 already in use

I'm trying to install CVS-1.10 on an IBM RS/6000 running AIX-4.2.1. I
want to set it up to use the pserver access method so I can keep the
repository well away from the developer workstations. The problem is
that port 2401 is already taken in the /etc/services file. It contains
the following:-

    writesrv 2401/tcp # Temporary Port Number

Now I could do the dirty and change this line to

    cvspserver 2401/tcp

but before I do I'd like to know the consequences of my actions.

What is the writesrv service? Will it be happy if I put it on a
different port on just one server, or do I have to hack /etc/services
on my entire network? Will it be happy if it disappears completely from
/etc/services?

I've seen a couple of postings saying that there's an AIX patch to fix
this problem, but I couldn't find it in the APAR database on IBM's web
site.

Thanks in advance for any help. Sorry if this message is a duplicate -
the last copy I sent disappeared into the void.

Kevin

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

2. - Office 97 SR-2 now available!!!

3. The Jargon File v2.2.1 15 DEC 1990, part 10 of 10

4. Lousy SQL*Net2 connection performance

5. Manually assigning TCP/IP port - check if port is already used

6. Where to download SYMBOL97 for AutoCAD14?

7. why cvs.exe [status aborted]: connect to linuxserver:2401 failed: Connection refused

8. Roman as Default in Math Mode

9. The Jargon File v2.2.1 15 DEC 1990, part 8 of 10

10. The Jargon File v2.2.1 15 DEC 1990, part 6 of 10

11. The Jargon File v2.2.1 15 DEC 1990, part 5 of 10

12. The Jargon File v2.2.1 15 DEC 1990, part 4 of 10