Pentium overdriv 83 processor upgrade for Compaq Presario 486dx2/50

Post by bob erkamp (fuzzy log » Fri, 26 Jul 1996 04:00:00

>Has anyone made this upgrade? If so, please tell me about it. Did you see a noticiable
>performance increase? Do games play bettter.
>Please E-mail me and let me know:

I have upgraded my Presario 924 CDS (DX2/66) to the POD/83 and have noticed
improvements (mostly in games). In applications (except graphic intensive) there
was very little improvement. The bottleneck for me right now appears to be that
the Compaq disk is pretty slow. Also the upgrade instructions want you to change
the Write-back jumper to Write-thru. This gives you poorer performance. I have
been running it in Write-back mode with no problems. Installation was a breeze.
If you are expecting blazing speed improvements you will be disappointed. It
did allow me to crank the detail levels on games and get the same performance
that I had with the old processor. If you want to know more let me know. I can
run Quake for example in vid_mode 4 and it runs quite well. I have Links 386
details set to maximum and it works as well as it did before on the medium
settings.

Bob

1. DECpc XL 466 - Upgrade from Intel Overdrive Pentium 83 Mhz to ???

Two years ago, I upgraded the processor of my DECpc XL 466 by installing the
Intel Overdrive Pentium 83Mhz on the 486 CPU board.
Since I am very happy with this machine, I just would like to keep it for
another couple of years, and therefore I am looking at reinforcing its CPU
power again.
Does anyone know if it is still possible to install a more powerfull
processor on this machine, without replacing the main board or the CPU board
?
Please, send me your reply at the following E-mail address in Belgium:

Thanks in advance

2. $50.00 wtb:1084or(s) or rgb analog monit

3. Compaq Presario and Windows 95 upgrade

4. extreme newbie question

5. Notebook: 486DX2/50, 8.4"Active Color, 4/200 - $820

6. Best word processor / note taker?

7. Pentium 83-mhz OverDrive!

8. HTML rendering pre-MacOS 9

9. Pentium 83-Mhz OverDrive Chip

10. DEC Venturis 4100 & Intel Overdrive Pentium 83 ?

11. DECpc XL 466 - Upgrade from Overdrive Intel 83 Mhz to ... ?

12. FS: Processor Upgrade kits for Digital 60MHz and 66MHz Pentium systems

13. Pentium processor voltages for system upgrade