Clearcase error creating elements?

Post by Dylan Nicholso » Fri, 27 Oct 2000 14:29:27

Hi,

Anyone seen this error, with a PC client and Unix server:

x:\>ct mkelem filename.txt
Creation comments for "filename.txt":
.
cleartool: Error: Vob server operation "Create Container" failed.
           Additional information may be available in the vob_log on
host "vob_server"
cleartool: Error: Unable to create
directory "\\vob_server\\vbs\src.vbs\s\sdft\f\1c": Invalid ar
gument.
cleartool: Error: Unable to create element "filename.txt".

And on the vob_log:

Error: unable to set ownership of file s/sdft/f/1c: Invalid argument
Error: Unable to create container s/sdft/f/1c: Invalid argument

Weird thing it works if you try it enough times, but it's a pain in the
backside, happens almost every time I try to create a new element...

Dylan

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Clearcase error creating elements?

Post by Yngve Ahlenb?c » Fri, 27 Oct 2000 20:01:56

I would suspect some misconfiguration of your Interop software (Samba or
Syntax TAS or some such). Errors like this can occur when the PC client
processes (running as clearcase_albd) have restricted access to the Vob
storage area.

The "works after several tries" symptom doen't really fit this diagnosis,
though...

best/Yngve

> Hi,

> Anyone seen this error, with a PC client and Unix server:

truncated...

Quote:> Weird thing it works if you try it enough times, but it's a pain in the

--
Yngve Ahlenb?ck
Senior Consultant

Clearcase error creating elements?

Post by Fran » Sat, 28 Oct 2000 04:21:08

Quote:> The "works after several tries" symptom doen't really fit this diagnosis,
> though...

Still, I think this behaviour is more bound to the network or the server
configuration than to ClearCase. Seems to me that loosing access to a (part
of the) vob suddenly is definitively a symptom of an instable
infrastructure.