Requirements negotiation

Post by Thomas Havemeiste » Fri, 08 Aug 2003 22:48:57

Howdy *.*!

I'm a german student and have some problems with the following text:

"While conceptional modeling is important, we include the classification
of requirements to help inform trade-offs between requirements
(requirements classification), and the process of establishing these
trade-offs (requirements negotiation)" [SWEBOK Chapter 2 s.19]

The first half is easy, it simply says something about requirements and
their general type (class). The second half says something about
negotiation. Mhm, well does it mean, that somebody should find a link
between a business process and the eliciated requirement?

thanks for any help!

\thomsen

Requirements negotiation

Post by Edward Berar » Sat, 09 Aug 2003 07:58:16

Quote:> Howdy *.*!

> I'm a german student and have some problems with the following text:

Wie geht's!

Quote:> "While conceptional modeling is important, we include the classification
> of requirements to help inform trade-offs between requirements
> (requirements classification), and the process of establishing these
> trade-offs (requirements negotiation)" [SWEBOK Chapter 2 s.19]

Imagine an application where there are two or more categories of
customers/users, each category having (at least slightly) different
views about what characteristics the application must exhibit.

After doing some preliminary requirements gathering, you note that:

   -> some requirements appear to be incompatible with other
      requirements

   -> some requirements are impractical/infeasible on their face

   -> there are unacceptable levels of incompleteness among the
      requirements (individually or as a whole)

   -> there are unacceptable levels of uncertainty among the
      requirements (individually or as a whole)

Requirements negotiation is a process of trading-off aspects of the
requirements among the so-called "success-critical stakeholders"
for the application (and the project). The stakeholders are often
unsure of their own needs, and of the needs of other stakeholders.

There are literally thousand of references for requirements negotiation
on the Web, e.g., search on "requirements negotiation" using Google.

The following references should get you started.

[Boehm and Egyed, 1998]. B. Boehm and A. Egyed, 3Software Requirements
Negotiation: Some Lessons Learned,2 Proceedings of the 20th
International Conference on Software Engineering, Kyoto, Japan, 1998,
pp. 503 - 506.

[Boehm et al., 1995]. B. Boehm, P. Bose, E. Horowitz, and M.J. Lee,
3Software Requirements Negotiation and Renegotiation Aids: A Theory-W
Based Spiral Approach,2 Proceedings of the 17th International Conference
on Software Engineering, Seattle, Washington, 1995, pp. 243 - 253.

[Egyed and Boehm, 1999]. A. Egyed and B. Boehm, 3Comparing Software
System Requirements Negotiation Patterns,2 Systems Engineering Journal,
Vol. 6, No. 1, June 1999, pp. 1 - 14.

[Lee and Boehm, 1996]. M.J. Lee and B. Boehm, The Win Win Requirements
Negotiation System: A Model Driven Approach, USC Technical Report
USC-CSE-96-502, Center for Software Engineering, University of Southern
California, Los Angeles, California, April 1996.

I hope this helps.

           -- Ed

--
Edward V. Berard              | Voice: (901) 309-1912
The Object Agency, L.L.C.     | Fax: (901) 755-5622

Germantown, Tennessee 38138   | WWW: http://www.toa.com

Requirements negotiation

Post by Peter Bushel » Mon, 11 Aug 2003 01:45:55

Hi.

I'm English. The passage you quote makes no sense to me, either! I would
suggest another book.

Regards,

Peter Bushell.

Quote:> Howdy *.*!

> I'm a german student and have some problems with the following text:

> "While conceptional modeling is important, we include the classification
> of requirements to help inform trade-offs between requirements
> (requirements classification), and the process of establishing these
> trade-offs (requirements negotiation)" [SWEBOK Chapter 2 s.19]

> The first half is easy, it simply says something about requirements and
> their general type (class). The second half says something about
> negotiation. Mhm, well does it mean, that somebody should find a link
> between a business process and the eliciated requirement?

> thanks for any help!

> \thomsen

1. XP2001 Workshop on "XP and Requirements Negotiation," Villasimius, Sardinia, Italy, May 24, 2001

One page submissions are being sought for the XP2001 Workshop on "XP and

Requirements Negotiation."

Tell us your view and join us in Villasimius on the 24th of May, 2001.

For more information and submissions go to:

http://aurelius.quase.ualberta.ca:8888/XP2001RequirementNegotiation

Steven Fraser and Giancarlo Succi

P.S.: The main web site of XP2001 is http://www.xp2001.org

2. STD Error

3. Requirement Engineering - Requirement Reuse?

4. How find friend who just got internet account

5. agent in negotiation

6. SetWindowsHookEx and CBTProc

7. Computer supported negotiations

8. Analog-joystick connected to ADB ?

9. [tao-users] codeset negotiation

10. Negotiation Tactics - do you want more?

11. Hardware requirements for edutainment

12. motherboard wattage requirements

13. Overseas power requirements for comp and electronic equip