When Japan Goes, We All go

Post by Bob Broc » Mon, 05 Apr 1999 05:00:00

>Business: The Economy

>Japan's jobs woe

>Four of Japan's largest companies have announced job cuts in the latest
batch
>of grim news about the nation's stagnant economy.

>The economic mood across the country remains downbeat as the latest
economic
>figures show no end in sight to the prolonged Japanese recession

>The Japanese Automobile Dealers' Association said sales of new cars fell by
>10.1% in March from a year earlier. New car sales are seen as an important
>litmus test of the condition of the economy.

>On Monday it was reported that industrial output and retail sales slumped
in
>February.

>================

SNIP

http://www.cbcnews.cbc.ca/cgi-bin/templates/view.cgi?/news/1999/03/29...
90329

Begin quoted text:
------------------------
Japan predicting economic turn around

WebPosted Mon Mar 29 09:11:03 1999

TOKYO - Japan's dismal economy will likely see a turn around by the latter
part of this year, says the nation's top economic planner.

Economic Planning Agency head Taiichi Sakaiya said Sunday that higher
housing investment, public works spending and lower inventories will help
the country's economy grow by the 0.5 per cent the government has promised
for fiscal 1999.

Sakaiya added that if the yen remains at its current level against the U.S.
dollar-- about 120 yen to $1 US-- it would boost the export sector and
provide signs of economic recovery by September.
----------------------------------
End quoted text:

The future is uncertian...

When Japan Goes, We All go

Post by Wade Ram » Mon, 05 Apr 1999 05:00:00

Nikkei up 17% in the last month.

________________
to respond, replace y2k with earthlink

When Japan Goes, We All go

Post by Bob Broc » Mon, 05 Apr 1999 05:00:00

Actually, if you listen to Japanese radio, they seem to be much more fixated
on North Korea and a couple of boats than anything else.  Then majority of
their press and legislation centers around that incident.

>Nikkei up 17% in the last month.

>________________
>to respond, replace y2k with earthlink

When Japan Goes, We All go

Post by Bob Broc » Mon, 05 Apr 1999 05:00:00

>>Subject: Re: When Japan Goes, We All go

>>Date: 4/4/99 7:41 PM Central Daylight Time

>(snip)

>>http://www.cbcnews.cbc.ca/cgi-bin/templates/view.cgi?/news/1999/03/29...
n9
>>90329

>>Begin quoted text:
>>------------------------
>>Japan predicting economic turn around

>(snap)

>Is that the monthly prediction, the quarterly prediction, the semi-annual
>prediction, the annual prediction or the biannual prediction?

>I seem to recall having heard these predictions for the last 5 years or so.

Actually, Japan's economy was doing quite well 5 years ago.  Their "high
unemployment rate" is almost as high as ours is right now.  Their main
concerns really seem to be N. Korean spy ships and cherry blossoms.

Do all economic cycles scare you so much?  If they do, stay out of the stock
market.

When Japan Goes, We All go

Post by Bob Broc » Mon, 05 Apr 1999 05:00:00

>When did Japan first hear of Y2K?

Before their Ultrasounds quit working.  Why aren't you working Dave?  All
those little mommas are going to show up Monday expecting to find out if
it's going to be a boy or a girl.

On a slightly more serious note, I'm off the first part of this week but
I'll stop by the office and hospitals to find out if their calendars were
off.  I guess it could still happen...

When Japan Goes, We All go

Post by Bob Broc » Mon, 05 Apr 1999 05:00:00

>>Subject: Re: When Japan Goes, We All go

>>Date: 4/4/99 8:20 PM Central Daylight Time

>>>(snip)

>>n9

>>>(snap)

>>>Is that the monthly prediction, the quarterly prediction, the semi-annual
>>>prediction, the annual prediction or the biannual prediction?

>>>I seem to recall having heard these predictions for the last 5 years or
so.

>>Actually, Japan's economy was doing quite well 5 years ago.  Their "high
>>unemployment rate" is almost as high as ours is right now.  Their main
>>concerns really seem to be N. Korean spy ships and cherry blossoms.

>>Do all economic cycles scare you so much?  If they do, stay out of the
stock
>>market.

>What gave you the impression I was scared?

>Or, do you simply feel like adding an insult to your post?

>If so, it certainly was a clever one.

No insult intended.  If you took it as one, I apologize.

When Japan Goes, We All go

Quote:>http://www.cbcnews.cbc.ca/cgi-bin/templates/view.cgi?/news/1999/03/29...
>90329

>Begin quoted text:
>------------------------
>Japan predicting economic turn around

(snap)

Is that the monthly prediction, the quarterly prediction, the semi-annual
prediction, the annual prediction or the biannual prediction?

I seem to recall having heard these predictions for the last 5 years or so.

_______________________________

0000000000000000000000000000000
_______________________________

"We've gotten classified reports [on the Federal government and Y2K] that are
so disturbing they had to be classified." - Fred Thompson (R-Tenn.)

When Japan Goes, We All go

Post by Genrober » Tue, 06 Apr 1999 04:00:00

>Subject: Re: When Japan Goes, We All go

>Date: 4/4/99 8:20 PM Central Daylight Time

>>>Subject: Re: When Japan Goes, We All go

>>>Date: 4/4/99 7:41 PM Central Daylight Time

>>(snip)

>>>http://www.cbcnews.cbc.ca/cgi-bin/templates/view.cgi?/news/1999/03/29...
>n9
>>>90329

>>>Begin quoted text:
>>>------------------------
>>>Japan predicting economic turn around

>>(snap)

>>Is that the monthly prediction, the quarterly prediction, the semi-annual
>>prediction, the annual prediction or the biannual prediction?

>>I seem to recall having heard these predictions for the last 5 years or so.

>Actually, Japan's economy was doing quite well 5 years ago.  Their "high
>unemployment rate" is almost as high as ours is right now.  Their main
>concerns really seem to be N. Korean spy ships and cherry blossoms.

>Do all economic cycles scare you so much?  If they do, stay out of the stock
>market.

What gave you the impression I was scared?

Or, do you simply feel like adding an insult to your post?

If so, it certainly was a clever one.
_______________________________

0000000000000000000000000000000
_______________________________

"We've gotten classified reports [on the Federal government and Y2K] that are
so disturbing they had to be classified." - Fred Thompson (R-Tenn.)

When Japan Goes, We All go

Post by Genrober » Tue, 06 Apr 1999 04:00:00

>Subject: Re: When Japan Goes, We All go

>Date: 4/4/99 9:59 PM Central Daylight Time

>>>Subject: Re: When Japan Goes, We All go

>>>Date: 4/4/99 8:20 PM Central Daylight Time

>pa
>>>n9

>so.

>>>Actually, Japan's economy was doing quite well 5 years ago.  Their "high
>>>unemployment rate" is almost as high as ours is right now.  Their main
>>>concerns really seem to be N. Korean spy ships and cherry blossoms.

>>>Do all economic cycles scare you so much?  If they do, stay out of the
>stock
>>>market.

>>What gave you the impression I was scared?

>>Or, do you simply feel like adding an insult to your post?

>>If so, it certainly was a clever one.

>No insult intended.  If you took it as one, I apologize.

Apology accepted.  Clearly, I must stop using that new Avon product, "Skin So
Thin".

Re: Japan

I take their increased unemployment figure as a *positive* sign to the extent
it shows their willingness to begin much needed and much deferred
'restructuring'.

I do hope that their economic recovery is sustained and vigorous.  We need the
world's second largest economy to join us as "consumers of last resort" (phrase
borrowed from Yardeni).
_______________________________

0000000000000000000000000000000
_______________________________

"We've gotten classified reports [on the Federal government and Y2K] that are
so disturbing they had to be classified." - Fred Thompson (R-Tenn.)

1. y2k newsarticles going, going, gone?

Here's an updated count of y2k related articles linked from De Jagers site
over the
past two weeks:

Friday 12/31        78
Saturday 1/1        60
Sunday 1/2           53
Monday 1/3        131
Tuesday 1/4         72
Wednesday 1/5   56
Thursday 1/6        50
Friday 1/7             32
Saturday 1/8         21
Sunday 1/9            21
Monday 1/10         59
Tuesday 1/11        12
Wednesday 1/12    2
Thursday 1/13        13
Friday 1/14             10  (down from 78 two weeks ago and 32 last week)

Any estimates for next Friday (1/21)?  I do think the press is losing
interest.

2. Toshiba Utilities

3. westergaard going, but not gone

4. ANN: eValid Browser Validates, Times & Tunes, Imposes Loads

5. Way-to-go! Where do we go?????

6. Can't burn CDs under Win98 - Why?

7. Go James go!

8. 1 * EeHrluzGa-Please Read This (Hover Buttons)

9. Are We Back to the Go-Go Days?

10. Japan Will Be The First Big One To Go Down

11. 21 Japan Nuke Plants Closing - Here we go

12. Japan Railways' Y2k Work Will Go down to the Wire

13. Japan goes protectionist!