New mailing list for "Alternative Keyboards"

New mailing list for "Alternative Keyboards"

Post by Craig Richmo » Thu, 26 May 1994 14:58:18

Someone asked me if there was a mailing list for dvorak keyboards when he
saw my signature.  I didn't know of one, so I have asked a friend to make
a mailing list for "Alternative Keyboards" in general.  So if you use,
want to know about or have questions regarding any non-qwerty keyboard,
please feel free to join the list.

I'm going away for 2 1/2 weeks on Sunday, so if things go horribly wrong
during that period, it may take me a couple of days to figure it out and
fix it.  I'm hoping there won't be a huge deluge of unsubscribe requests
this quickly, but you never can tell :-)

If anyone has things they think should be included in a FAQ that gets
mailed out when you subscribe, please send them to the list.

To subscribe

and include the following line in the body of your message

subscribe alt-keyboards Ima Bozo             (but use your real name here)

Cheers,
Craig
--
Craig Richmond, Computer Officer, ECEL Computing Services  +61 9 380 1405
The University of Western Australia      or 380 3860 Email for FAX Number

if users make them.  Applications aren't allowed this freedom" I.M.VI 2-4

Post by Dan Walla » Fri, 27 May 1994 10:14:10

>Someone asked me if there was a mailing list for dvorak keyboards when he
>saw my signature.  I didn't know of one, so I have asked a friend to make
>a mailing list for "Alternative Keyboards" in general.  So if you use,
>want to know about or have questions regarding any non-qwerty keyboard,
>please feel free to join the list.

Well, if you'd read the FAQ, you'd know there are a number of them, including
rsi-east, sorehand, and c+health.  Much as I like spreading the "gospel"
of alternative keyboards, I think we've got enough forums for the discussion.

(anybody have any human-factors comments about people not reading FAQ's?)

--
Dan Wallach                "One of the most attractive features of a Connection

Phone#: 609-683-4673       of its cabinet." -- CM Paris Ref. Manual, v6.0, p48.

(Home page) http://www.cs.princeton.edu/grad/dwallach/     (finger for PGP key)

1. New mailing list for "Alternative Keyboards

Firstly sorry for not managing to use follow-ups correctly, but the news system here
is really flaky and wont allow posting(!).

Sorry, but I've got to disagree, all the current lists deal with the *use* of
alternative keyboards to aliviate and prevent injuries such as RSI and CTS.

There currently doesn't seem to be any forum for the *design* of keyboards
both technologically and for the "best" layouts. e.g. chording tables/stratagies,
how to make curved keyboards, electrical interface to pc/mac/sun/et.al., how
much faster dvorak really is than qwerty flame wars etc...etc...

=%-)

Ian

p.s. Your FAQ is really good, but deals only with available equipment not with
the design of new stuff. (any human-factors comments about people not fully
understanding close but distinct mailing list dicussion areas ;-)

                                                              ^^^ BIG SMILEY

2. Sub:SAP PI-ABAP Developer @ Dallas, TX@6 months@(Direct client)

3. "You have mail" vs "You have new mail"

4. Apple Stuff Store

5. new mailing list "Machine Learning for User Modeling"

6. Can't get past logon screen

8. FS: Amiga 500 - $60

9. Alternative "keyboards"?

10. Technical: "98"..."99"...."100" instead of "2000"?

11. "pointer" vs. "explicit/click-to-type" keyboard focus policy

12. Discussion mailing list for Jef Raskin's "The Humane Interface"