Rankings of Undergraduate Computer Science Programs

Rankings of Undergraduate Computer Science Programs

Post by Patrick J Sweene » Tue, 14 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Does anyone know of a collection of rankings or other information
gathered
on undergradute computer science programs in the United States?

I found one at http:://www.usnews.com/ but it didn't have much depth to
it.

Post by No Junk E-Ma » Thu, 16 Sep 1999 04:00:00

> Does anyone know of a collection of rankings or other information
> gathered
> on undergradute computer science programs in the United States?

> I found one at http:://www.usnews.com/ but it didn't have much depth to
> it.

Meaningful rankings of specific departments/disciplines at the undergrad
level do not exist. Rankings of grad programs usually involve counting
such things as number of publications, dollars of research expenditures,
etc. Those numbers give some indication of the quality of the research
experience but say nothing about classroom instruction.

There is an accreditation agency, the Computing Sciences Accreditation
Board. You can see a list of accredited programs at http://www.csab.org.
However, there are only about 150 schools on that list. There are a lot
of good computer science programs that have not sought accreditation.

There is a very good article ("Ignore College Ranking -- Become an
Educated Consumer") written by an educational consultant at
    http://www.washingtonparent.com/articles/9712/rankings.htm
She makes some excellent points about rankings such as those published
by US News & World Report, Time, Newsweek, etc.

All rankings rely on bean-counting (graduation rate, class size, student
selectivity, alumni giving, ...) Those numers are then combined in some
arbitrary fashion to produce the ranking. Do those numbers really tell
you much about the quality of the educational experience? Each program
has a character that will suit some students but not all. You have to
find a program that fits your abilities and needs.

Suggestions:
* Use the web to get a general idea about schools you're interested in.
* Send e-mail to the department chair or undergraduate program director
  asking specific questions about the computer science degree.
* Visit the campus to see the facilities.
* Communicate with current and former students.

Things to look for:
* Who teaches the undergraduate courses? Fulltime faculty? Adjuncts?
  Grad students?
* What is the student-faculty ratio and average class size?
* Which courses listed in the catalog are actually offered? How often?
* What level of access to computing facilities is afforded to undergrads?
* Is there an active student chapter of the professional society?
* If you're interested in preparation for grad school, ask about research
  opportunities for undergrads.

Rankings of Undergraduate Computer Science Programs

Post by Stephen Lis » Sat, 02 Oct 1999 04:00:00

The Association for Computing Machinery puts together
a recommended curriculem for undergraduate computer science
programs. You might want to contact the acm for more details.
http://www.acm.org , I think.

> Does anyone know of a collection of rankings or other information
> gathered
> on undergradute computer science programs in the United States?

> I found one at http:://www.usnews.com/ but it didn't have much depth to
> it.

  __
 ( _/_   / _    /  ' _  _
__)/(-/)/)(-/) (__/_) _)
     /
Motorola SuperCell
Software Development
--------------------
1441 Shure Drive
Drop IL27 3-2G
Arlington Heights, IL 60004
---------------------------
voice: 847-435-2535
  FAX: 847-632-2393
pager: 847-576-0295 pin 19574
-----------------------------
postal mail:
500 Eagle Drive #103
Elk Grove Village, IL
60007-4733

1. Summer Internships in Computer Science for Undergraduates

Hello all!

Well it's that time of year again and undergrads are starting to think
about summer jobs. Once again I am compiling data on summer
internships in industry for undergraduates in computer science, which
I will make available (in about 3 weeks) to anyone who wants a copy.
I probably won't post it because it's getting too long, but if you
want a copy when its ready, just drop me a note.

If you participated (this past summer) in such a program, your
experience could be of value to people looking for a summer job.
I would like to hear:

-what company you worked for
-job descriptions
        - what you did
        - work atmosphere
-location:
        - where you worked
        - where you lived
        - how you liked the locale
-transportation arrangements:
        - did they pay your airfare?
        - do you need a car to get to work?
        - do you need a car to get groceries?
-approximate number of participants & size of company
-housing arrangments
        - did they arrange for housing
-competitiveness
        - also, special requirements/preferences in hiring such as AA
-pay
        - none, reasonable, a king's ransom?
-summary
        - did you like it? would you recommend it?

Please mail me your replies. Post to comp.edu only if you can't get
mail through for some reason.

Thanks,

+----------------+---------------------------------------------------+

+----------------+---------------------------------------------------+
                                               #include <disclaimer.h>

2. Memory Upgrades for the 800

3. Computer Science Engineering vs. Computer Science

4. Using a US Blade in the UK

5. Computer Science as a Science?

6. Graphing smooth function as bar function

7. More on Computer Science and Arts & Sciences

8. Discussion Web within a Web

9. PhD in Computer Science vs. Computer Engineering

10. Software Engineering - Computer Science - Computer Engineering