outsourcing development of a J2EE web application

outsourcing development of a J2EE web application

Post by Anon » Tue, 02 Jul 2002 03:20:34

My company is planning to outsource the development of a
J2EE web application.

We have invited 7 external consulting firms to bid for the project.

Each of the 7 firms will be making a presentation to us in early July.

What questions should we ask the firms?

(I have 5+ years of Java experience already)

outsourcing development of a J2EE web application

Post by Andy Foste » Tue, 02 Jul 2002 07:11:19

Quote:

> My company is planning to outsource the development of a
> J2EE web application.

> We have invited 7 external consulting firms to bid for the project.

> Each of the 7 firms will be making a presentation to us in early July.

> What questions should we ask the firms?

> (I have 5+ years of Java experience already)

Ask them for reference clients and named referees. Then contact those
people.....
(Give them advanced notice that you will require these at your
presentations...)

Ask to see their coding standards documents. Don't take "Oh we use XXX for
an answer" Ask to see the actual documents...

Make them quote for the project AND include two years maintainance. See how
they feel about supporting their own code at a fixed price. Put them on
penalty clauses if they*up...

That ought to make them sweat!

Andy Foster
www.wyetec.co.uk

outsourcing development of a J2EE web application

Post by Linda » Tue, 02 Jul 2002 20:06:03

Questions to ask:
1. Experience
2. Customers
3. If they test your website for functionality and load
4. Do the developers test or do they have a QA/Software Test Team?
5. Do they guarantee their work?

We used a company called ITX and they did a great job, I have contact
information if you are interested.

LM

Quote:

> My company is planning to outsource the development of a
> J2EE web application.

> We have invited 7 external consulting firms to bid for the project.

> Each of the 7 firms will be making a presentation to us in early July.

> What questions should we ask the firms?

> (I have 5+ years of Java experience already)

outsourcing development of a J2EE web application

Post by Robert Klemm » Wed, 03 Jul 2002 16:29:06

Anony schrieb:

Quote:

> My company is planning to outsource the development of a
> J2EE web application.

> We have invited 7 external consulting firms to bid for the project.

> Each of the 7 firms will be making a presentation to us in early July.

> What questions should we ask the firms?

> (I have 5+ years of Java experience already)

hm, from what i understand, the EJB part of J2EE is still not
very mature, i.e., there are not a lot of app servers with good
support of EJB 2.0.  first, i would ask myself whether i really
need a J2EE app or whether a web application with other
persistence means does the job.

i would ask the companies for references, i.e. apps that are
productive and can be shown.

regards

        robert

Post by David J. Aronso » Wed, 03 Jul 2002 23:44:50

> Another thing to remember (not really a question), is that the firm
> that can do it the fastest and the cheapest and provide all the
> functionality, is not necessarily the one you want to go with. You
> do actually get what you pay for.

As the old classic "Consultant's Checklist" puts it:

        [ ] GOOD
        [ ] FAST
        [ ] CHEAP

        Pick two.

--
David J. Aronson, Software Engineer for hire in Philadelphia area
Resume, and other details, online at: http://dja2001.home.att.net

1. Your Partner for Software and Web Development Outsourcing

We are well established leading on our local market software and web
development company based in St.-Petersburg. Please visit our web site
http://www.molinostech.com/ to learn more about us.

We have professional team of designers and programmers and can provide very
competitive in price and quality custom software development and web
programming/design services. We have successfully completed more than 100
projects and our clients are well known Russian companies.

We are interested in a long (preferably)/short term partnership with a
company like yours who would like to outsource either programming or design
work to us.

Molinos Technologies provides also services of establishing an offshore
dedicated team of programmers with/without infrastructure support
services:

- Selection and recuruitment of a profiled team;
- Providing project management and quality assurance staff;
- Administration and logistics to provide and support the
infrastructure
- Legal services and support to register a subsidiary of the
customer's company in Russia

A dedicated offshore software development team is the best approach
for projects significant in time, or scope, or for other business
considerations.

http://www.molinostech.com/offshore-it-staffing-services.phtml

2. renaming files

3. Managing J2EE JARS (was Re: J2EE at what level does one jar ejbs)

4. VR toolbox

5. Rapid web application development tool

6. Performance of OLEDBConnection.open

7. Best methodology for web-based application/development

8. Wanted Amiga 1000!

9. Comparative cost of Web application vs C/S application

10. outsource development to help your company

11. Study: Outsourcing software development to off-shore companies