Building a simple shell for MINIX

Post by .: hoest : » Wed, 22 Nov 2000 04:00:00

I need to build a simple shell for MINIX, this is a school project. But I
don't really know where to start, so maybe you've got a simple shell for me
as example? Or do you have some tips or suggestions?

I hope I hear something soon!

Jelle
--
When you reply, delete nospam out of the emailaddress...
--

Linux Kernel 2.2.17 op een AMD Athlon 650 MHz met 128 Mb RAM
9:50am up 19 days, 21:06, 0 users, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

Building a simple shell for MINIX

Post by Martijn van Bu » Wed, 22 Nov 2000 04:00:00

It occurred to me that .: hoest :. wrote in comp.os.minix:
.                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^

Please use a real name..

Quote:> I need to build a simple shell for MINIX, this is a school project. But I
> don't really know where to start, so maybe you've got a simple shell for me
> as example? Or do you have some tips or suggestions?

Chapter 1 (?) of Operating Systems, Design and Implementation should give
you some hints. I once wrote a shell of my own - you can have it if you
like, but I must warn you: It's very ugly code, but it does feature
things like redirection, pipelining and some basic environment handling.
Alas, it doesn't really work that well under Minix anymore - I used
glob() to match wildcards for me, but glob() is a POSIX.2 call which isn't
available under Minix. My efforts to implement it myself stranded on
some quarrel with opendir and closedir - I never managed to get myself
to fixing that.

Martijn "Making shells is fun" van Buul

--

         Geek code: G--  - Visit OuterSpace: mud.stack.nl 3333
   Kees J. Bot: The sum of CPU power and user brain power is a constant.

Post by Casper Bodewit » Wed, 22 Nov 2000 04:00:00

> I need to build a simple shell for MINIX, this is a school project. But I
> don't really know where to start, so maybe you've got a simple shell for me
> as example? Or do you have some tips or suggestions?

> I hope I hear something soon!

> Jelle
> --
> When you reply, delete nospam out of the emailaddress...
> --

> Linux Kernel 2.2.17 op een AMD Athlon 650 MHz met 128 Mb RAM
> 9:50am up 19 days, 21:06, 0 users, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

I would say take a look at the sources in /usr/src/commands/sh or ../ash
sh is most simple shell for minix. But I think you'll need to study
additional
sources to understand the process design in MINIX.

Casper Bodewitz
Student at the University of Groningen
department of Computer Science

Building a simple shell for MINIX

Post by .: hoest : » Thu, 23 Nov 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> I once wrote a shell of my own - you can have it if you
> like, but I must warn you: It's very ugly code, but it does feature
> things like redirection, pipelining and some basic environment handling.

Thanks!

Jelle de Jong
--
Student Computer Science; Hogeschool van Utrecht (NL; hvu.nl)
--

Linux Kernel 2.2.17 op een AMD Athlon 650 MHz met 128 Mb RAM
6:15pm up 21 days, 5:31, 0 users, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

1. Simple user interface or shell

All,

Looking for some help in using a shell for developing a simple
commanline language or prompting for the user.  e.g the user
will be able to supply simple cammonds via a shell from either
the serial port or a telnet session.  The commands are provide
via the commandline or possble user interface.  Just looking
for several methods.  Do not want to create a user shell if one
all ready exists.

Tim

2. Object Variable not set error

3. Simple Shell Script Help

4. Looking for QEdit/2

5. 3rd Ed. of Hennessy and Patterson out

6. Simple editor with no shell escape?

7. How to get return code from external Unix box running simple shell script?

8. simple shell

9. using simple shell

10. Need docs about how-to-build-a-simple-SCSI-device

11. building simple hardware :-) PRR