Any PCMCIA network card work with Minix?

Any PCMCIA network card work with Minix?

Post by Doug Bur » Fri, 13 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Greetings,

I recently purchased a used laptop and would love to network it to my
other PC.  Has anyone tried running Minix on a PCMCIA network card?
Would any NE2000 compatible card work?  Any experiences and card
suggestions are much welcomed!

Thank you much!

Doug Burks            'Tis better to remain silent and be thought a fool

Post by Albert S Woodhu » Fri, 13 Feb 1998 04:00:00

: I recently purchased a used laptop and would love to network it to my
: other PC.  Has anyone tried running Minix on a PCMCIA network card?
: Would any NE2000 compatible card work?  Any experiences and card
: suggestions are much welcomed!

I use a LinkSys PCMCIA ethernet card, which Minix accepts as an NE2000.
It works fine. But there is a catch -- Minix doesn't know how to start
the  PCMCIA interface. I also have W95 and Linux on this laptop, and if I
first start one of them and let it initialize the PCMCIA interface, then I
can reboot to Minix and use it on the net.

Kees Bot supplied me some code written by Philip Homburg which can return
some info about the PCMCIA interface and perhaps initialize it under some
circumstances, but after a little bit of playing around with it I gave up
on trying to get Minix to initialize the PCMCIA interface itself. I am
sure it can be done, but I haven't figured out how to do it.

Al
Albert S. Woodhull

http://minix1.hampshire.edu/asw/

1. PCMCIA (PC Card) Network card setup woes

howdy y'all :)

I have QNX 4.22 installed on a Texas Instruments TravelMate 5000 and
I'm trying to set up my pcmcia network card (a Socket EA+, Revision E).

Does anyone *happen* to have a sysinit set up that works?

I've had it set up before (about 6 months ago) after much difficulty and
the QNX partition suddenly crashed and that was when i realized that i did
not have any of the system setup files (sysinit.X, pcmcia.X, pcmcia.cards...)
saved somewhere apart from the laptop :(

So i'm in the process of trying to resetup the network, but i think i'm
missing something somewhere...

The sysinit has these lines:
Pcmcia.cirrus -a3e0 -i5 -v&
sleep 2
PcmciaBeep &
Net &
sleep 2
nameloc &
sleep 2
netmap -f
sleep 2
Net.ether1000 -i11 -p300 -6 -R -v &

I've gone through many different combinations of port addresses and
interrupts but i still have no luck.
With each interrupt/port modification, i've been making changes to
pcmcia.cards.

The machine is setup up as node 2 and my netmap contains 2 entries.

The only files i've messed with are:
sysinit.X
pcmcia.cards
netmap
hosts

am i overlooking something?

thanks in advance for any insight you people may have :)

D.

--
=-=   what was the name of Lucifer's red twin in Battlestar Galactica?   =-=
| D. Shire, IRC and USENET addict       | eat slugs. drink tears. cry wolf.|

2. P96 Win32 UAE: Confessions of an Amiga User.

3. Trying to get RTL 8139 PC CARD network card working

4. Touchpads

5. PCMCIA Network Card for NS ?

6. ANN: VMS Mosaic 3.6-1

7. PCMCIA - Network Card and OPENSTEP 4.2

8. 3com pcmcia network cards

9. PCMCIA network card's ethernet address, how to get ?

10. To Kees J. Bot: Notebook network cards (PCMCIA probably).

11. Laptop network PCMCIA card

12. PCMCIA network card problem