PCMCIA network card problem

Post by Frank » Sun, 03 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Minixers:
    I am new to minix. I just installed minix2.0 on my potable HP Omnibook
800 P/133, it works OK except for networking.

    I am using Xircom PS-CE2 10BT PCMCIA card. From Win95 device manager, I
found it uses I/O base address 0x110-0x11F, IRQ=9, so I set DPETH0=110:9 in
boot monitor, but minix can not initialize card successfully with this
configuration. I also tested other configuration, include commonly used
300:5, still not work.

    I searched Xircom web, it was said that PS-CE2 10BT card is not using
NE2000 chipset. so, is this the cause of the trouble?

    pls help.

Frank L

Post by Will Ro » Sun, 03 Jan 1999 04:00:00

: Minixers:
:     I am new to minix. I just installed minix2.0 on my potable HP Omnibook
: 800 P/133, it works OK except for networking.

:     I am using Xircom PS-CE2 10BT PCMCIA card. From Win95 device manager, I
: found it uses I/O base address 0x110-0x11F, IRQ=9, so I set DPETH0=110:9 in
: boot monitor, but minix can not initialize card successfully with this
: configuration. I also tested other configuration, include commonly used
: 300:5, still not work.

:     I searched Xircom web, it was said that PS-CE2 10BT card is not using
: NE2000 chipset. so, is this the cause of the trouble?

Minix doesn't have a PCMCIA driver, so my guess is that the card isn't
being intialised correctly and hence isn't appearing in the right place
(or at all).  Furthermore, the card probably doesn't emulate a NE2000,
WD80x3, or 3com 503, which are the three cards Minix can understand.

Your only hope for networking is slip or ppp.

Will

PCMCIA network card problem

Post by Al Woodhu » Mon, 04 Jan 1999 04:00:00

in comp.os.minix:

:     I am new to minix. I just installed minix2.0 on my potable HP Omnibook
: 800 P/133, it works OK except for networking.

:     I am using Xircom PS-CE2 10BT PCMCIA card. From Win95 device manager, I
:     I searched Xircom web, it was said that PS-CE2 10BT card is not using
: NE2000 chipset. so, is this the cause of the trouble?

There are two problems. First, Minix does not support PCMCIA. Second,
you must use a network card that is compatible with one of the three
types supported by Minix, WD/SMC 8003, NE1000/2000 or 3C503.

The PCMCIA problem is surmountable if you can boot another OS that
does support PCMCIA and then can reboot to Minix without disabling the
PCMCIA interface. On my Compaq Armada 1125 laptop this is possible,
using either Win95 or Linux for the initial boot. It may not work with
other laptops, and may require tweaking. (I had to adjust the Linux
shutdown scripts to prevent disabling the PCMCIA during shutdown). In
principle a Minix utility to do this is possible, and I believe Philip
Homburg created such a program that works on his own laptop, but he
has not released a general version.

As to ethernet card type, the safest are WD8003 and NE2000 compatible
cards. The 3C503 support is available as a patch for Minix 2.0.0.
It is included in the new Minix 2.0.3 release.

On my Compaq Armada I use a Linxsys EC2T Combo PCMCIA Ethernet
card. Minix accepts it as an NE2000 and it works well for me.

Al
+----------------------------------+
| Albert S. Woodhull               |
| Hampshire College, Amherst, MA   |

| http://minix1.hampshire.edu/asw/ |
+----------------------------------+

PCMCIA network card problem

Post by Will Ro » Mon, 04 Jan 1999 04:00:00

[...]
: There are two problems. First, Minix does not support PCMCIA. Second,
: you must use a network card that is compatible with one of the three
: types supported by Minix, WD/SMC 8003, NE1000/2000 or 3C503.

Has anyone heard of a PCMCIA driver for Minix?  I haven't, and PCMCIA
seems sufficiently widespread for a related device to be useful.  I
doubt you could add memory dynamically, but it would be nice to be
able to set up and use eg. a laptop modem or network card.

Will

1. QNXRTP - 3com PCMCIA Network card problem

Hello
I have a 3com 3cxsh572bt PCMCIA network card
and i have a problem to bring up an netwrok interface with it.
pin shows this:
Sock    Func    Type            Flags                PID        Base    Size
IRQ
2            0        Network    C--I-|---X----    86029    0x200    32    9

if anybody can tell me how to bring up an interface I'll be greatfull, there
is no
/dev/io-net/ne0 as it should be i think

Thank You for your help

2. RHIDE, Debug and long long ints

3. PCMCIA (PC Card) Network card setup woes

4. Where to get PicTeX, xfig, lsedit and glotex for vms platform?

5. PCMCIA Network Card for NS ?

6. Intel PCMCIA LAN cards?

7. PCMCIA - Network Card and OPENSTEP 4.2

8. Merlin and StrongARM only?

9. 3com pcmcia network cards

10. PCMCIA network card's ethernet address, how to get ?

11. To Kees J. Bot: Notebook network cards (PCMCIA probably).

12. Laptop network PCMCIA card

13. Any PCMCIA network card work with Minix?