ksh (and other shells) for minix

Post by Your name her » Fri, 01 Aug 1997 04:00:00

i've been running minix on two old computers for a few weeks now, and i've
decided to find a shell with a bit more functionality than ash.  korn is my
shell of choice when running linux/unix, but that doesn't mean too much...
anyhow, i found ksh ported to minix, but a) it looks big and b) has a makefile
in some hybrid format that i don't know what to do with.

my questions:
1) has anybody installed minix ksh (i got my copy from ftp.uni-bielefeld.de)
that can tell me how to deal with the c-cum-script makefile it has?
2) can anyone reccomend a _small_ shell (to go on the smaller (640K 286) of
the two) that is a bit more functional and facilitating than the minix sh?

raeppink

ksh (and other shells) for minix

Post by Warren Toom » Sat, 02 Aug 1997 04:00:00

Here are patches for rc. Email me if you don't get this correctly.

        Warren

begin 600 minix-rc.Z
<encoded_portion_removed>
end

Post by Will Ro » Sat, 02 Aug 1997 04:00:00

: i've been running minix on two old computers for a few weeks now, and i've
: decided to find a shell with a bit more functionality than ash.  korn is my
: shell of choice when running linux/unix, but that doesn't mean too much...
: anyhow, i found ksh ported to minix, but a) it looks big and b) has a makefile
: in some hybrid format that i don't know what to do with.

: my questions:
: 1) has anybody installed minix ksh (i got my copy from ftp.uni-bielefeld.de)
: that can tell me how to deal with the c-cum-script makefile it has?

It may be 1.5 code - there was a port of a pd ksh to 1.5; but that
shouldn't have an especially unusual makefile.

: 2) can anyone reccomend a _small_ shell (to go on the smaller (640K 286) of
: the two) that is a bit more functional and facilitating than the minix sh?

The only small shell I've seen on Minix is Minix' standard Bourne shell.
Ksh and ash and clam (a cshell released binary-only for 1.5) are all
pretty big, and I've never seen any other, apart from the trick shell
Marvin.  That was small, but not especially useful...  it complains
a lot.

Will

1. ksh for MINIX : more info (termios, MINIX-PC)

Hi,

A couple of additional points about the source I recently
posted.

o The package will probably also work with PC versions of
  MINIX using the c386 version of the Walker Brothers'
  compiler, since the front end of this is identical to
  c68k.

o I forgot to specify that to use this, you may have to have the
  termio package installed.  Like I said, it's been awhile.
  This thing is available from the archive sites.  You'll
  know if you need it if you get some "symbol not found"
  errors when loading that have to do with termio(s)

                                        JT

2. ZipGS and Appletalk questions

3. Shell performance (sh, ksh, & csh).

4. Thank you Acorn!

5. ksh for Minix! (pdksh-5.2.13).

6. How to make optimum use of new hard drive (format and file-system).

7. Running emacs, ksh on IBM Minix

8. Getting hold of Amiga RKMs.

9. Running ksh and emacs on Minix 1.5 for IBM

10. Please Help - HP Scanjet 4c ands NT

11. Modify Shell in Minix

12. Building a simple shell for MINIX

13. shell in minix