Virtual Memory support in MINIX?

Post by Kosa » Thu, 11 May 1995 04:00:00

  I haven't seen any word about this, but is there a swapper in MINIX
that allows for virtual memory?  I would like to run MINIX on a Tandy
1000 TL with 768 K, but I don't feel that this would be enough for what I
need to do.  BTW, the 1000 TL is a 286 box.

Daniel Kosack

PS.  Anyone know if SLIP is supported?  PPP?  I also plan on getting TNET4.

Post by Albert S Woodhu » Fri, 12 May 1995 04:00:00

:   I haven't seen any word about this, but is there a swapper in MINIX
: that allows for virtual memory?  I would like to run MINIX on a Tandy
: 1000 TL with 768 K, but I don't feel that this would be enough for what I
: need to do.  BTW, the 1000 TL is a 286 box.

Minix 386-vm supports virtual memory but needs a 386.

It's not the same thing at all as virtual memory, but there is a
shared-text patch for Minix 1.5 that makes for much more efficient use
of memory, particularly when running Tnet, under which it is common to
have several incidences of multiple processes running the same
executable. It makes networking possible on a 640K machine.

: PS.  Anyone know if SLIP is supported?  PPP?  I also plan on getting TNET4.

Tnet 4 supports SLIP. It doesn't support PPP.

The networking tools in Minix-386vm, that will be part of Minix 1.7
(coming soon!) are probably fundamentally better than the network
foundation for Tnet, which involves a lot of patches to the OS, but
they are also less complete, and the standard Minix version lacks some
fundamentals (such as pseudo-ttys) that are necessary to support
standard network applications like telnet, rlogin, and ftp.

What the world needs is someone who wants to take an up-to-date Minix
and the the Tnet package (or perhaps the net tools from Linux) and make
them work together.

BTW, if you want to install Tnet you should get the file
asw/minix/net/tnet4a.tar.Z from ftp.hampshire.edu. It doesn't have any
fundamental changes from the original Tnet, except changes to install
in a different default directory, but it includes some documentation
that can help you avoid some pitfalls that are not obvious in the
original Tnet documentation.

--
Albert S. Woodhull, Hampshire College, Amherst, MA

413-549-2962

1. Minix in a virtual memory or protected memory invironment

What type of work is being done to port Minix to a virtual memory or at least
a protected memory invironment?

     Has anyone got a successful port to a 286 or 386 using protected mode?

     Better still, has anyone got a port using a 68851 PMMU or any similar
     PMMU hardware?

Thanks in advance for any information.

Motorola Semiconductors                     Tom Spohrer
Austin, Texas                {seismo,gatech,ihnp4}!ut-sally!oakhill!toms

2. Trionnes 3.20 MR BIOS 3.30 Toshiba 3402B CDROM not recognised

3. Virtual memory support on 286 d

4. NSComm 404 is a BETA People

5. Does QNX4 support Virtual Memory

6. vi editor FAQ (Frequently Asked Question List), Part 2/2

7. Virtual memory in Minix-VMD

8. Minix with Virtual Memory?

9. Virtual Memory on minix

10. Virtual memory Minix

11. Virtual Memory Minix / demand paging

12. Virtual Memory Minix / Fred van Kempen