bootloader and minix

Post by bigbin » Mon, 18 Dec 2000 11:27:09

Tell me If I am understanding this correctly, when I startup my
machine, the bios loads whatever is at the first part of the
harddrive.  In my case, that is lilo(?) I have lilo configured to boot
minix.  Ok so I type in minix, I assume at this point that lilo loads
the 'minix bootloader'?  At this point the loader decides to load the
kernel?  I have compiled a new kernel, 2.0.0r1, I assume that the
bootloader loads this kernel.

I have a question though, lets say I recompile the bootloader, does the
makefile place the bootloader in the correct place for a boot program,
let's say lilo(since I am using lilo)?

I have read the book but I am very new on the implementation of minix.
Whole different world.

Berlin Brown

--
"...yes darling, computers are people too..."
http://www.geocities.com/southbeach/lights/5679

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

bootloader and minix

Post by T » Mon, 18 Dec 2000 20:22:54

>Tell me If I am understanding this correctly, when I startup my
>machine, the bios loads whatever is at the first part of the
>harddrive.

Hmm... it loads it from a partition that is marked as 'Bootable' in MBR,
usually this is the first partition.

Quote:>In my case, that is lilo(?) I have lilo configured to boot
>minix.  Ok so I type in minix, I assume at this point that lilo loads
>the 'minix bootloader'?  At this point the loader decides to load the
>kernel?  I have compiled a new kernel, 2.0.0r1, I assume that the
>bootloader loads this kernel.

Lets assume it :)

Quote:>I have a question though, lets say I recompile the bootloader, does the
>makefile place the bootloader in the correct place for a boot program,
>let's say lilo(since I am using lilo)?

Since you had two bootloaders allready (lilo and minix loader...) i'll
assume you're talking of linux loader.

If you recompile it... Hmm.. You have to run it once, so it will install
itself as the bootloader.
If you change /etc/lilo.conf, you also have to run lilo.
Try 'man lilo'  (or you did but you needed some explanation?)

---
Thats all folks!!!

TM.

bootloader and minix

Post by Kees J B » Mon, 18 Dec 2000 20:59:34

>Tell me If I am understanding this correctly, when I startup my
>machine, the bios loads whatever is at the first part of the
>harddrive.  In my case, that is lilo(?) I have lilo configured to boot
>minix.  Ok so I type in minix, I assume at this point that lilo loads
>the 'minix bootloader'?  At this point the loader decides to load the
>kernel?  I have compiled a new kernel, 2.0.0r1, I assume that the
>bootloader loads this kernel.

It does, if the new kernel image was put in /minix.  ('make hdboot' does
this.)

Quote:>I have a question though, lets say I recompile the bootloader, does the
>makefile place the bootloader in the correct place for a boot program,
>let's say lilo(since I am using lilo)?

No, the new bootloader is only placed in /usr/mdec/, nothing more.  You
can use 'make bootable' in /etc/tools to install it on the root file
system, but it is more rewarding to copy the boostrap in place and run
installboot yourself.  (If you've actually changed it.  The bootstrap is
not something one toys with for fun.  One mistake leaves your system
dead and you will have to resurrect it by booting from floppy and
reinstalling a working bootstrap.)
--
Kees J. Bot, Systems Programmer, Sciences dept., Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam

bootloader and minix

Post by bigbin » Tue, 19 Dec 2000 10:47:36

> >Tell me If I am understanding this correctly, when I startup my
> >machine, the bios loads whatever is at the first part of the
> >harddrive.  In my case, that is lilo(?) I have lilo configured to
boot
> >minix.  Ok so I type in minix, I assume at this point that lilo loads
> >the 'minix bootloader'?  At this point the loader decides to load the
> >kernel?  I have compiled a new kernel, 2.0.0r1, I assume that the
> >bootloader loads this kernel.

> It does, if the new kernel image was put in /minix.  ('make hdboot'
does
> this.)

> >I have a question though, lets say I recompile the bootloader, does
the
> >makefile place the bootloader in the correct place for a boot
program,
> >let's say lilo(since I am using lilo)?

> No, the new bootloader is only placed in /usr/mdec/, nothing more.
You
> can use 'make bootable' in /etc/tools to install it on the root file
> system, but it is more rewarding to copy the boostrap in place and run
> installboot yourself.  (If you've actually changed it.  The bootstrap
is
> not something one toys with for fun.  One mistake leaves your system
> dead and you will have to resurrect it by booting from floppy and
> reinstalling a working bootstrap.)

No, it does sound like fun.

Berlin Brown

Quote:> --