can't run a 386 kernel on this 386 ???

Post by polux mo » Wed, 23 Jan 2002 07:34:35

i running the dos version in order to test before making a real install
i have an old laptop ( 486 ) and i don t understand why i have
this message when i do "boot minix.mnx" :

You can't run a 386 kernel on this 8086

Post by Kees J B » Wed, 23 Jan 2002 18:09:24

>i running the dos version in order to test before making a real install
>i have an old laptop ( 486 ) and i don t understand why i have
>this message when i do "boot minix.mnx" :

>You can't run a 386 kernel on this 8086

This means that you are running it in a Virtual 8086, like in a DOS window,
or with a memory manager like EMM present.

To get around this type F8 at boot (when you see "Starting Windows"
appear), and choose "safe mode command prompt".  That should bypass your
config.sys and autoexec.bat.  Move to where Minix is and try again.
--
Kees J. Bot, Systems Programmer, Sciences dept., Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam

1. 386/SX vs. 386: What's the diff?

I'm wondering if the cognoscenti could tell me what the difference is
between a 386/SX and a regular 386.  I am looking into buying a 386/SX
and I like the price and I don't mind slow.  My concerns are:

1) Will it run the 386 Minix in protected mode?
2) Does it have the identical virtual memory setup (so when vm-minix
inevitably appears, it too will work)?
3) Is it in any way visible to software different from a 386?

Thanking you,
Dave Cottingham         "The practical scientist is trying to solve tomorrow's
CfPA, UCB               problem with yesterday's computer; the computer scien-
                        tist, we think, often has it the other way around."

2. Fixation Error (philips 3610

3. Bruce's 386 kernel

4. Blocking Ring Voltage

5. Looking for Bruce's 386 kernel and gcc

6. Win 98 SE worthwhile?

7. CYRIX 386-486 Upgrade CPU and COMPAQ 386/20 HELP

8. Upgrade options?

9. 386 boot problem on 386

10. C68/386 (68K/386 C compiler)

11. Will minix run on 386 w/XT HD's?

12. LOOKING FOR 286'S OR, 386'S TO PURCHASE

13. Minix 386 gcc compiled kernel?