Proxy Name Service, Parent Proxy Name Service and GNS

Proxy Name Service, Parent Proxy Name Service and GNS

Post by Simon Say » Thu, 16 Dec 1999 04:00:00

I am new to Corba. Does anyone know what is PNS (proxy name service) and
PPNS (Parent Proxy Name Service) and GNS (Global Name Service) ?

--
Kenneth Yeung
==========================

ICQ: 32984860

Post by Stephen Crawl » Fri, 14 Jan 2000 04:00:00

>I am new to Corba. Does anyone know what is PNS (proxy name service) and
>PPNS (Parent Proxy Name Service) and GNS (Global Name Service) ?

AFAIK, these are not CORBA terms.  Certainly they don't appear in the
CORBA NS or INS specs!

-- Steve

1. Naming Service vs Implementation Repository vs Load Balancing Service

I am fairly new to CORBA. I am implementing a server which has
following characteristics:

1. The server(stateless) is single threaded and can handle one request
at a time. Hence I would like to run multiple instances of the server
on a given machine. All instances are identical.
2. The server does go down or get un-responsive occasionally.

I want to achieve the following:

1. Run min-max number of identical servers. Servers are added based on
load.
2. On server crashes/hangs, automatilcally restart the servers.
3. Balance the load between the servers.

IR(Implementation Repository) can manage server instances. Can it(The
TAO one specifically) do automatic restarts? Also the tao_imr takes in
the service name for the for each server instant? I have multiple
servers serving the same-functionality. So how is it registered with
the Implementation Repository.

Load Balancing Service should manage load between server instances.
Can it tell IR how many servers it needs to start based on the load?
Can it detect server hangs and shut/restart them ?

Where does the naming service come into picture? Ideally from the
client, one would like to use the naming service to access the object.
This should work in tandem with IR and Load Balancing Service to
activate/find the server which serves the object. Is this possible?

Thanks for your inputs.

Bhaven

2. SW petition to email

3. OF Notification Service to Naming Service

4. A few questions

5. Naming service - name resolution uses 'kind'?

6. Invalid page fault in saving Lotus123R7 worksheet

7. Naming Service (Names Library)

8. quark/PDF to html

9. Unable to Login to MSN Services When Client is Behind Proxy Server

10. Question: Behind Proxy Server - Must Map link - Need chat Server Name

11. Visigenic Event Service -- Killing a Proxy thread