Java 1.2 ORB server / IONA Orbix 2.3 client, using java namingService

Java 1.2 ORB server / IONA Orbix 2.3 client, using java namingService

Post by Michi Hennin » Thu, 01 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> My situation:
> I hava a CORBA server application developed with jdk 1.2 ORB.
> - The server registers to the jdk 1.2 namingService (tnameserv) using rebind()
> - I hava a client in Java to test the server. It uses resolve() to get the
> server's reference from the namingService.
> - This works fine !

> My problem: I want to replace the Java client by a client developped on Orbix
> 2.3 (C++). Different problems arise: - How do I make the gateway between
> client and server, concerning the naming server? Is it better a) not to use
> orbixd but use the standard jdk1.2 namingService, in which case I would
> appreciate an example code (Orbix documentation does not explain how to use
> other namingServices). b) to replace jdk1.2 ORB with OrbixWeb? Are OrbixWeb
> and Orbix "inline", idem are their smart agents (orbixd) interoperable?

Your best bet is probably to stringify the reference to the initial naming
context of the JDK naming service and to read the reference from a file
or some such in the C++ client. That's because, as far as I know, Orbix
does not permit you to configure what is returned from
resolve_initial_references or rather, more accurately, it does not allow
you to use a server that wasn't written using Orbix as a server whose
reference is to be returned by resolve_initial_references.

Note that implementation repositories, such as orbixd, are by necessity
implementation-specific and cannot interoperate with servers from other
vendors. In other words, if you write a server using ORB A, then that
server must use an implementation repository provided by ORB A. That's
because the communication between the repository and the server isn't
standardized by the OMG (and for good reasons). [ If you want to know
more about how this works, see http://www.triodia.com/staff/michi/cacm.pdf,
which explains quite a bit about this sort of thing. ]

Once you have reference to the JDK naming service in the Orbix client,
you should be able to use that naming service like you would any other
naming service.

Of course, you could also use the IONA naming service and talk to it from
the JDK server. But again, in that case, you must somehow etheir configure
resolve_initial_references in the JDK to return the reference to the
IONA Naming Service (I'm not sure whether that's possible), or you have
to read a stringified reference to the IONA Naming Service in the server
and use that to do your rebind().

The whole idea is that, once you have a reference to anything, you can talk
to it via IIOP. Your problem appears to be how to get the reference...

                                                        Cheers,

                                                                Michi.
--
Michi Henning               +61 7 3236 1633
Triodia Technologies        +61 4 1118 2700 (mobile)

AUSTRALIA                   http://www.triodia.com/staff/michi-henning.html

1. java 1.2 client to orbix server

Hello all.  I have a simple client/server CORBA.  The client is in Java
1.2.
The server is c++ using Orbix 2.3c.  I create an IOR on the server side,
write that
to a file and copy file to host where client will be run.
On client side, I run it by reading in IOR file copied from server
machine and
it seems to establish a connection, but then it just hangs.  My function

sayHello isn't called.  The server is written using TIE approach.  Could
this
be the problem?  It seems the server gets hung by the Java client
because I tried
to run a c++ client and it can't get a connection even after I shut down
the Java client.

Any suggestions.

Thanks.

Eddie Sananikone

2. Attention!!!

3. Java 1.2 Orb and Orbix 2.3c

4. turn 6.00 into to thousands

5. CORBA 2.3, Java 1.2, Compliance and Required Implementations

6. Problems with recursive code & logMsg

7. How to integrate Orbix 2.3 and OrbixTalk 1.2???

8. No Desktop After Logon --Saves Settings & Goes back to Logon Screen

9. visibroker 4.0 java client using OrbixName3.0 to talk to Orbix server

10. Passing Structure from java client to C++ server using Orbix

11. Java Client on PC to C++ Server on Unix/SGI using OrbixWeb/Orbix

12. IFR using IONA Orbix Java 3.3