Java, CORBA and Tuxedo

Post by Regis Saleu » Thu, 26 Feb 1998 04:00:00

We are new to CORBA, and want to build a 3 tier architecture around Java.

The client tier is a Java applet running inside Netscape. It communicates
with a Java middle tier through the Visibroker ORB. This middle tier is
responsible to deliver business objets services to the client workstation.
This tier also accesses an Oracle database running on the same or on another
server.
Our Java server uses the SUN JNI (Native Interface) API to make a call from
Java to a C dll. This dll implements all the calls to Tuxedo (tpcall).

All machines are running Windows NT.

The problem we have is located on the middle-tier: everything runs ok with a
single client PC running a browser. When we program repeated requests (Java
client->ORB->Java server->C dll->Tuxedo Wks) running on TWO clients at the
same time, there is a timeout or a queue overflow in Tuxedo.
I suscpect this is due to the fact that we run TUXEDO workstation on a
server. In this architecture, the wks may have to handle serveral calls to
services at the same time. And I am not sure that it it multi
threaded.

Is this architecture possible to implement? We don't feel comfortable with
the use of BEA JOLT, because we want to keep the ORB. ANy idea?

Thanks
Regis

Java, CORBA and Tuxedo

Post by Billy Newpor » Thu, 26 Feb 1998 04:00:00

I think you're losing a lot by using IIOP between the client and the middle
tier instead of Jolt. Why do you want to keep the ORB? What does it buy you
that Jolt doesn't offer.

Billy

Java, CORBA and Tuxedo

Post by Regis Saleu » Thu, 26 Feb 1998 04:00:00

The reason for this is that I want to have a thin client. The applet should
only implement the GUI. The business object will stay on the server. If I
use JOLT for the connection between the client and the middle tier, I
understand that my business objects will transform into Tuxedo services, and
that I will not be able anymore to develop them with Java, and will be
compelled to use C++.

Quote:>I think you're losing a lot by using IIOP between the client and the middle
>tier instead of Jolt. Why do you want to keep the ORB? What does it buy you
>that Jolt doesn't offer.

>Billy

Java, CORBA and Tuxedo

Post by Andreas Voge » Thu, 26 Feb 1998 04:00:00

> We are new to CORBA, and want to build a 3 tier architecture around Java.

> The client tier is a Java applet running inside Netscape. It communicates
> with a Java middle tier through the Visibroker ORB. This middle tier is
> responsible to deliver business objets services to the client workstation.
> This tier also accesses an Oracle database running on the same or on another
> server.
> Our Java server uses the SUN JNI (Native Interface) API to make a call from
> Java to a C dll. This dll implements all the calls to Tuxedo (tpcall).

> All machines are running Windows NT.

> The problem we have is located on the middle-tier: everything runs ok with a
> single client PC running a browser. When we program repeated requests (Java
> client->ORB->Java server->C dll->Tuxedo Wks) running on TWO clients at the
> same time, there is a timeout or a queue overflow in Tuxedo.
> I suscpect this is due to the fact that we run TUXEDO workstation on a
> server. In this architecture, the wks may have to handle serveral calls to
> services at the same time. And I am not sure that it it multi
> threaded.

> Is this architecture possible to implement? We don't feel comfortable with
> the use of BEA JOLT, because we want to keep the ORB. ANy idea?

How about you get rid of the JNI interface and instead wrap Tuxedo into a CORBA
object. Now you can easily replicate your Java business objects and if necessary
you can add a queueing mechanism to the Tuxedo wrapper object.

Cheers,

Andreas

--
Stay tuned for the 2nd, completely revised and significantly extended edition of

"Java Programming with CORBA", www.wiley.com/compbooks/vogel,
by Andreas Vogel and Keith Duddy, J.Wiley & Sons, New York, 2nd edition, 2/98

  vcard.vcf
< 1K Download

Java, CORBA and Tuxedo

Post by Billy Newpor » Fri, 27 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Andreas said:

Quote:>How about you get rid of the JNI interface and instead wrap Tuxedo into a
CORBA
>object. Now you can easily replicate your Java business objects and if
necessary
>you can add a queueing mechanism to the Tuxedo wrapper object.

Getting rid of JNI is a good idea. But I think this approach is backwards.
If you are going to use Tuxedo then use Jolt on the front end, define tuxedo
services and then use Corba to make calls to your Java business objects from
the Tuxedo servers. This will give you better scalability and availability.
If you are pushing Tuxedo to the back layers then you might as well drop
Tuxedo and just use some-thing like OTS. Adding a queueing mechanism is an
example of the increasing work being caused as you would get this for free
if you used Tuxedo and Jolt on the front and middle layers.

Billy

Java, CORBA and Tuxedo

Post by M Sweg » Sat, 28 Feb 1998 04:00:00

: Andreas said:

: >How about you get rid of the JNI interface and instead wrap Tuxedo into a
: CORBA
: >object. Now you can easily replicate your Java business objects and if
: necessary
: >you can add a queueing mechanism to the Tuxedo wrapper object.
: >

: Getting rid of JNI is a good idea. But I think this approach is backwards.
: If you are going to use Tuxedo then use Jolt on the front end, define tuxedo
: services and then use Corba to make calls to your Java business objects from
: the Tuxedo servers. This will give you better scalability and availability.
: If you are pushing Tuxedo to the back layers then you might as well drop
: Tuxedo and just use some-thing like OTS. Adding a queueing mechanism is an
: example of the increasing work being caused as you would get this for free
: if you used Tuxedo and Jolt on the front and middle layers.

: Billy

I didn't think that OTS performed the same functionality of TP-monitoring
and load balancing that Tuxedo does. Does OTS now include the functionality
provided by such products as Tuxedo, Encina,etc?

--
        Mike,

Java, CORBA and Tuxedo

Post by John Donaldso » Sat, 28 Feb 1998 04:00:00

> Getting rid of JNI is a good idea. But I think this approach is backwards.
> If you are going to use Tuxedo then use Jolt on the front end, define tuxedo
> services and then use Corba to make calls to your Java business objects from

Or call BEA and ask them what they are planning for Tuxedo and CORBA.
Surely something!

John D.

Java, CORBA and Tuxedo

Post by Robert Mar » Sat, 28 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>Or call BEA and ask them what they are planning for Tuxedo and CORBA.
>Surely something!

Iceberg.  (Supposedly some sort of integration of a CORBA ORB and a TP
Monitor.)

AFAIK, it's still VAPORware.  (Looks like they've got to cool it a lot
for it to become an ICEberg ;-)

--
Robert Marti
Institut fur Informationssysteme

Java, CORBA and Tuxedo

Post by Devashish Wora » Sat, 28 Feb 1998 04:00:00

You are correct. OTS, as defined in the CORBAService specs, does
not define a lot of the functionality provided by commercial TP-monitors.
Remember, OMG generates specs, no implementations.

However, one could use a TP-monitor to implement the CORBA OTS
specs. This is what a lot of ORB vendors are doing today.   So, in the
background, you are getting a lot of the TP-monitor functionality (depending
on the OTS implementation that you use) through a "standard" interface (IDL).

-devashish

> : Andreas said:

> : >How about you get rid of the JNI interface and instead wrap Tuxedo into a
> : CORBA
> : >object. Now you can easily replicate your Java business objects and if
> : necessary
> : >you can add a queueing mechanism to the Tuxedo wrapper object.
> : >

> : Getting rid of JNI is a good idea. But I think this approach is backwards.
> : If you are going to use Tuxedo then use Jolt on the front end, define tuxedo
> : services and then use Corba to make calls to your Java business objects from
> : the Tuxedo servers. This will give you better scalability and availability.
> : If you are pushing Tuxedo to the back layers then you might as well drop
> : Tuxedo and just use some-thing like OTS. Adding a queueing mechanism is an
> : example of the increasing work being caused as you would get this for free
> : if you used Tuxedo and Jolt on the front and middle layers.

> : Billy

> I didn't think that OTS performed the same functionality of TP-monitoring
> and load balancing that Tuxedo does. Does OTS now include the functionality
> provided by such products as Tuxedo, Encina,etc?

> --
>         Mike,

Java, CORBA and Tuxedo

Post by Tarek Hammou » Tue, 03 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Regis,

Could you please be more specific as to what version of Tuxedo are you using, OS
deployed on the server and whether the Server side orb is running with multiple
threads. We have built exactly the same system that you are trying to.

Tarek Hammoud

> We are new to CORBA, and want to build a 3 tier architecture around Java.

> The client tier is a Java applet running inside Netscape. It communicates
> with a Java middle tier through the Visibroker ORB. This middle tier is
> responsible to deliver business objets services to the client workstation.
> This tier also accesses an Oracle database running on the same or on another
> server.
> Our Java server uses the SUN JNI (Native Interface) API to make a call from
> Java to a C dll. This dll implements all the calls to Tuxedo (tpcall).

> All machines are running Windows NT.

> The problem we have is located on the middle-tier: everything runs ok with a
> single client PC running a browser. When we program repeated requests (Java
> client->ORB->Java server->C dll->Tuxedo Wks) running on TWO clients at the
> same time, there is a timeout or a queue overflow in Tuxedo.
> I suscpect this is due to the fact that we run TUXEDO workstation on a
> server. In this architecture, the wks may have to handle serveral calls to
> services at the same time. And I am not sure that it it multi
> threaded.

> Is this architecture possible to implement? We don't feel comfortable with
> the use of BEA JOLT, because we want to keep the ORB. ANy idea?

> Thanks
> Regis

Java, CORBA and Tuxedo

Post by Mike Scheute » Tue, 14 Apr 1998 04:00:00

The current version of Tuxedo (6.3) for the Workstation (Tuxedo/WS) and the
native Tuxedo
client is NOT multi-threaded.  If you are using tpcall then each call
blocks.  You could use
tpacall and handle dispatching calls from a worker thread.  I believe all
tpacalls would have
to be made on the on and only thread that called tpinit.  This means that
all of your worker
threads would be funnelled through one worker thread for a long as it takes
to dispatch
the tpacall.

1. CORBA, JAVA IDL, JAVA CORBA immaturity, badly need help !!

Can anyone help to show a simple examples for java corba client server
communication ?

I've tried the one provided from java.sun.com at
http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/idl/TOC.html

I've tested that and that seems to be working fine only on just local
system.
I mean I can have it compiled and run without problems with the client
communicate with the server in just 1 local system. I've tested it
at windows 95 (jdk1.3.1_01) and Redhat linux 6.1, and windows 98
(jdk1.3.1_01)
and Sun Solaris (jdk1.2.2). The examples can work fine in just 1 system,

but if I put the client in 1 and server in any other machine mentioned
above with
the above jre, I get NONE OF THEM WORK with client to communicate with
server.

None of them can work to communicate with other machine.

I've also tried to install ORBit and OmniORB and just the simailar
result
was obtained. Client and server program can work and communicate with
the programs put on the same machine, but they can't communicate with
each
othere with server program on 1 machine, and client program put on
another
machine.

That really make me feel that CORBA is actually very immature.

Corba is for developer to program with different computer languages in
objects, and have the objects to communiate. But I've tried 3 different
packages JAVA, ORBit and omniORB and they just can't communicate with
each other even though they are just working in 1 package with the same
computer language (java with java, and c with c in OmniORB and ORBit).

Any one can help and have some suggestions/corrections on me ??

Any comments are much appreciable.

Thanks 1000 times !!

gameboy8888

2. Remedy Developer || Eagan,MN || 12+ Months Contract ||

3. IE4 and java/corba: java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: java/security/AccessController.doPrivileged

4. Hot-swappable drives

5. CORBA IDL DATA TYPE and TUXEDO FML buffer

6. How to setup a internal sendmail HUB?

7. Delphi client with Visibroker connecting with CORBA Server build with TUXEDO

8. comtrol C command

9. Looking for good CORBA, Tuxedo and Ecommerce people

10. Pros and cons of Tuxedo vs Corba OTS

11. HELP: BEA TUXEDO + CORBA integration

12. Tuxedo Meter: beta testers wanted (Java)

13. Java/CORBA Client & C++/CORBA server