Orbix 3.0.1 clients to Orbix 2000 server

Orbix 3.0.1 clients to Orbix 2000 server

Post by essbe » Sun, 27 May 2001 23:46:54

All those suffering through the pangs of migration:

We are in the process of migrating from Orbix 3.0.1 to Orbix 2000 1.2.1.

As it turns out, all our clients cannot be converted to Orbix 2000 yet. I
tried reading about the config changes I need to make that's allow these
legacy clients to find Orbix 2000 server (our interfaces remained exact
same).

Now, Orbix 3.0.1 clients relied on 4 different parameters to locate the
server and these were embedded in the config files - (1) server hostname (2)
IT_DAEMON_PORT, (3) IT_DAEMON_SERVER_BASE and (4) IT_NS_PORT.

I am assuming these map to the "new world" of Orbix 2000 as follows:
(1) server hostname            = Orbix 2000's  Locator hostname
(2) IT_DAEMON_PORT    = Orbix 2000's Locator port
(3) IT_DAEMON_SERVER_BASE    = No freaking idea!! Need help!
(4) IT_NS_PORT                = Orbix 2000's Locator port???

Question:
1 - Are these assumptions correct?
2 - What is the value of IT_DAEMON_SERVER_BASE since it is a poa world now?!
3 - What is the impact of using configuration domain services on the server
on the legacy clients?

[The documentation at Iona does not discuss any of these details, and only
instructs putting the following in the common.cfg:
services{
    INS = "IOR:4567...";

Quote:}

]

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

essbee

Orbix 3.0.1 clients to Orbix 2000 server

Post by scottgreg.. » Tue, 29 May 2001 21:29:24

"essbee" says...
Quote:

>All those suffering through the pangs of migration:

I's a * eh?

Quote:>We are in the process of migrating from Orbix 3.0.1 to Orbix 2000 1.2.1.

3.0c to 3.3. was bad enough for us.  :-)

Quote:>As it turns out, all our clients cannot be converted to Orbix 2000 yet. I
>tried reading about the config changes I need to make that's allow these
>legacy clients to find Orbix 2000 server (our interfaces remained exact
>same).

If you are using _bind() , you may be in for trouble - or are you using the name
space or some other method of finding your servers.

Quote:>Now, Orbix 3.0.1 clients relied on 4 different parameters to locate the
>server and these were embedded in the config files - (1) server hostname (2)
>IT_DAEMON_PORT, (3) IT_DAEMON_SERVER_BASE and (4) IT_NS_PORT.

>I am assuming these map to the "new world" of Orbix 2000 as follows:
>(1) server hostname            = Orbix 2000's  Locator hostname
>(2) IT_DAEMON_PORT    = Orbix 2000's Locator port
>(3) IT_DAEMON_SERVER_BASE    = No freaking idea!! Need help!

Only needed on the 'server' side, not on client side.

Quote:>(4) IT_NS_PORT                = Orbix 2000's Locator port???

This is the 'Name Service' port.  See my query above about using the name
service.

Quote:>Question:
>1 - Are these assumptions correct?
>2 - What is the value of IT_DAEMON_SERVER_BASE since it is a poa world now?!
>3 - What is the impact of using configuration domain services on the server
>on the legacy clients?

>[The documentation at Iona does not discuss any of these details, and only
>instructs putting the following in the common.cfg:
>services{
>    INS = "IOR:4567...";
>}

This is for an 'initial name service' reference.  I.e. The name service you will
get after doing an ORB_init and 'get_initial_references'.  After that,
navigating the name space is up to you.

There is an outstanding bug in 3.3 that means that you cannot talk to remote
name services as your initial service, without having an NS on your local
machine, unless you do the IOR trick that you mention.  So that is what we have
had to do.

There should be no reason that I know of why *once connected* your servers and
clients will not work just fine.  But getting them connected may be a chore - or
possibly very difficult.

Good Luck
sdg

1. ORBIX-Web clients with ORBIX-server via orbixd

Ive a problem with the following configuration: i'm using an
ORBIX-server (V 2.3) started from the Orbix-daemon process (orbixd) on a
UNIX-system. The clients are Java-applets in a Netscape browser. They
communicate with the server via ORBIX-Web.
The server is registered in "-per-client mode", so the orbixd starts one
process for each user. When the Java-clients make a connection to orbixd
they do it all under the same username: "nobody". The result is, that
all clients have to share the same object, because the orbixd cannot
make a difference. How can I get different user names for the clients.

2. Any information on Windows Installer?

3. Orbix-TAO; Orbix client unable to _narrow to TAO server provided IOR

4. Open file dialog box

5. Accessing Corba Servers in Orbix 2000 from client machine

6. Logon the Network Problem

7. Orbix 2000 Client v1 ---> JDK 1.3 Orb (server) Doesn't work

8. StartDoc() gpf's in w95

9. Orbix 2000 & Orbix 2.3

10. OrbixWeb client talking to both orbix-2.3 and Orbix 3.0

11. Orbix Web & Orbix - No response from the server

12. Orbix NT: multi-threaded, GU-Orbix server ?

13. How to fix callback port within an Orbix 2000 client ?