CORBA SSL and Interoperabilities

Post by Christof Bruehan » Tue, 03 Jul 2001 23:06:28

Hello,

there some Corba implementations available providing security with SSL.
Examples are omniORB, Visibroker and Orbix 3.

What about interoprability between Corba implementations with SSL from
different vendors? It is possible to use two different SSL capable ORBs
together without
loosing security features?

It seems that the real CORBA compliant Security Service is not
implemented very often. How does it look
like with interoperability in this case?

I've heard that interoperability is not yet finailized in the
CORBA standard. In which version of the standard is this handled?

Regards,

Christof.

Post by Ruslan Shevchenk » Wed, 04 Jul 2001 18:14:50

>Hello,

>there some Corba implementations available providing security with SSL.
>Examples are omniORB, Visibroker and Orbix 3.

>What about interoprability between Corba implementations with SSL from
>different vendors? It is possible to use two different SSL capable ORBs
>together without
>loosing security features?

As I know with native SSL - no. But exists vendors of security servuices,
which provide Security Service layers for many ORB-s.
Sorry, can't remember  names now, but I think you will start
receive replies from them in this group during next few days ;)

Quote:

>It seems that the real CORBA compliant Security Service is not
>implemented very often. How does it look
>like with interoperability in this case?

In general, I do not think, that Security Service as ORB plugin
which automatically incapsulate all IIOP traffic in SSL is a good idea.
Better clear determinate part of application, which is connected
to external world and use SSL bridge / proxy.

last CORBA Firewall specs looks as step in right direction for me.

Quote:>I've heard that interoperability is not yet finailized in the
>CORBA standard. In which version of the standard is this handled?

>Regards,

>Christof.

Ruslan Shevchenko
GradSoft: Chief Software Architector
http://www.gradsoft.com.ua/eng/

1. Q: Interoperability of CORBA/SSL

Hi,

I would like to know whether anyone has already
tried or even succeeded to make different CORBA
over SSL implementations work together?
Specifically I'm interested in whether
Visigenic's SSL implementation interoperates with
other CORBA/SSL implementations. I think in
theory they should do -- both CORBA and SSL are
standards (isn't even Secure IIOP a standard?) --
but I wouldn't be much surprised if they don't.

Any hints are greatly appreciated.
Please reply per mail, since I can't access news
directly.

Best regards,
Artur

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

2. @SendMail: Reply-To v. From?

3. ORB IIOP/SSL interoperability

4. Windows 2000 & USB Support

5. SSL and no SSL in one server (Visibroker 3.1 C++)

6. Active X

7. Benchmark results for SSL vs no SSL?

8. Windows 95 on AS/400 Client Access

9. ftp: SSL/TLS connect COMMAND error: error:1408F10B:SSL routines:SSL3_GET_RECORD:wrong version number

10. Please Help - HP Scanjet 4c ands NT

11. SSL and Corba?

12. Does Enterprise Server 3.5x CORBA support SSL

13. PHX, 'large semiconductor Manufacturer' wants Java, TCP/IP, CORBA, SSL.