launch server automatically

Post by chi » Fri, 11 Jul 2003 05:42:56

Hi, I'm migrating my corba application from OrbixWeb3.0 to E2A. I have
no  problem bringing up my server manually and my client communicate
with the server succesfully.  The problem I am having for days is I'm
hoping to launch the server automatically only when the client calling
it but I'm a little confused on what exactly I should do.

previously in OrbixWeb3.0, I registered the server using
putit PPadmin -j -classpath $CLASSPATH inss.corba.prov.PPadminServer
and I was using bind command which I have change to using Naming
Service currently.

First I've tried registering the server:

1. itadmin process create -node_daemon
iona_services.node_daemon.monsoon -pathname
"inss.corba.prov.PPadminServer" -startupmode on_demand
inss.corba.prov.PPadminServer

2. itadmin orbname create -process inss.corba.prov.PPadminServer
server_orb

3. itadmin poa create -orbname server_orb PPadmin

4. when I tried to start the server by calling
   itadmin process start inss.corba.prov.PPadminServer, I don't see
any process running.

In my server code, I've created a context "PPCtx" and object "PPOW".
I'm wondering if anyonw can show me the way to create the naming
context and object manually? what other procedure is needed before I
can launch the server by the client?

Thanks for your time and thoughtfullness.
Chia.

launch server automatically

Post by Sergey Yedrik » Fri, 11 Jul 2003 12:52:21

Hi Chia,

This is where you went off track:

Quote:> 1. itadmin process create -node_daemon
> iona_services.node_daemon.monsoon -pathname
> "inss.corba.prov.PPadminServer" -startupmode on_demand
> inss.corba.prov.PPadminServer

In the 'itadmin process create' command you need to provide enough
details for the node daemon to start your server as an OS process. In
your case of a Java server you need to specify how to start java[.exe]
and run your class. For ex.:

itadmin process create -node_daemon iona_services.node_daemon.monsoon
-pathname /usr/java/bin/java
-args "-classpath <your classpath> inss.corba.prov.PPadminServer
<server's args>"
-startupmode on_demand
inss.corba.prov.PPadminServer

For more details, please take a look at
http://www.iona.com/support/docs/e2a/asp/6.0/platform/admin/locationR...

Quote:> In my server code, I've created a context "PPCtx" and object "PPOW".
> I'm wondering if anyonw can show me the way to create the naming
> context and object manually?

You can do that with the 'itadmin ns bind' command.

Regards,
Sergey Yedrikov.

> Hi, I'm migrating my corba application from OrbixWeb3.0 to E2A. I have
> no  problem bringing up my server manually and my client communicate
> with the server succesfully.  The problem I am having for days is I'm
> hoping to launch the server automatically only when the client calling
> it but I'm a little confused on what exactly I should do.

> previously in OrbixWeb3.0, I registered the server using
> putit PPadmin -j -classpath $CLASSPATH inss.corba.prov.PPadminServer
> and I was using bind command which I have change to using Naming
> Service currently.

> First I've tried registering the server:

> 1. itadmin process create -node_daemon
> iona_services.node_daemon.monsoon -pathname
> "inss.corba.prov.PPadminServer" -startupmode on_demand
> inss.corba.prov.PPadminServer

> 2. itadmin orbname create -process inss.corba.prov.PPadminServer
> server_orb

> 3. itadmin poa create -orbname server_orb PPadmin

> 4. when I tried to start the server by calling
>    itadmin process start inss.corba.prov.PPadminServer, I don't see
> any process running.

> In my server code, I've created a context "PPCtx" and object "PPOW".
> I'm wondering if anyonw can show me the way to create the naming
> context and object manually? what other procedure is needed before I
> can launch the server by the client?

> Thanks for your time and thoughtfullness.
> Chia.

launch server automatically

Post by chi » Sat, 12 Jul 2003 05:36:48

Hi Sergey,
   Yes! Thank you so much for your big help.  I have solved my problem.
now I understand what "-pathname" is for!! You have made my day.

Chia.

> Hi Chia,

> This is where you went off track:

> > 1. itadmin process create -node_daemon
> > iona_services.node_daemon.monsoon -pathname
> > "inss.corba.prov.PPadminServer" -startupmode on_demand
> > inss.corba.prov.PPadminServer

> In the 'itadmin process create' command you need to provide enough
> details for the node daemon to start your server as an OS process. In
> your case of a Java server you need to specify how to start java[.exe]
> and run your class. For ex.:

> itadmin process create -node_daemon iona_services.node_daemon.monsoon
> -pathname /usr/java/bin/java
> -args "-classpath <your classpath> inss.corba.prov.PPadminServer
> <server's args>"
> -startupmode on_demand
> inss.corba.prov.PPadminServer

> For more details, please take a look at
> http://www.iona.com/support/docs/e2a/asp/6.0/platform/admin/locationR...

> > In my server code, I've created a context "PPCtx" and object "PPOW".
> > I'm wondering if anyonw can show me the way to create the naming
> > context and object manually?

> You can do that with the 'itadmin ns bind' command.

> Regards,
> Sergey Yedrikov.

> > Hi, I'm migrating my corba application from OrbixWeb3.0 to E2A. I have
> > no  problem bringing up my server manually and my client communicate
> > with the server succesfully.  The problem I am having for days is I'm
> > hoping to launch the server automatically only when the client calling
> > it but I'm a little confused on what exactly I should do.

> > previously in OrbixWeb3.0, I registered the server using
> > putit PPadmin -j -classpath $CLASSPATH inss.corba.prov.PPadminServer
> > and I was using bind command which I have change to using Naming
> > Service currently.

> > First I've tried registering the server:

> > 1. itadmin process create -node_daemon
> > iona_services.node_daemon.monsoon -pathname
> > "inss.corba.prov.PPadminServer" -startupmode on_demand
> > inss.corba.prov.PPadminServer

> > 2. itadmin orbname create -process inss.corba.prov.PPadminServer
> > server_orb

> > 3. itadmin poa create -orbname server_orb PPadmin

> > 4. when I tried to start the server by calling
> >    itadmin process start inss.corba.prov.PPadminServer, I don't see
> > any process running.

> > In my server code, I've created a context "PPCtx" and object "PPOW".
> > I'm wondering if anyonw can show me the way to create the naming
> > context and object manually? what other procedure is needed before I
> > can launch the server by the client?

> > Thanks for your time and thoughtfullness.
> > Chia.

1. OrbixWeb 3.2 : bug with automatically launched servers

Hi all OrbixWeb 3.2 users,

I just upgraded to OrbixWeb 3.2 and experienced a lot of trouble in porting
my application.
Besides the problems of compiling the sources without getting those
'deprecated api' warnings for example , I encountered a serious bug in
OrbixWeb.

To be started automatically by the daemon, the servers IOR'S must include
the daemon's port number. This can be switched on/off by a config variable
(IT_IIOP_USE_LOCATOR).

This does not work in OrbixWeb 3.2 ! If you start your servers via the
daemon ( or via Naming Service - > daemon ), the transient port of the
server is put in the IOR.

I contacted iona support, and they told me, that this is a known bug.

The only workaround is starting your servers manually. Then the daemon's
port number is put in the server's IOR. ( Don't let the servers time out
! ).

I thought putting this in the newsgroup could help some people in the same
situation.

Cheers,
J?rg

2. Buffer/Cache

3. Why can't my server be launched automatically?

4. Dynamic parameter passing to _execv()

5. Program to launch and terminate an app automatically?

6. student version fsolve

7. MSN Messenger launches automatically if I login to Hotmail

8. SBS 4.5 clients can't resolve fully-qualified internal hostnames

9. k95: Scripts for Automatically launching other programs

10. Launching a CORBA server from another CORBA server using Orbix

11. Orbix server launched in "server" mode on NT?

12. ANN: True Launch Bar - Superior replacement for standard Quick Launch

13. Try True Launch Bar - Superior replacement for standard Quick Launch