Embedded CORBA / Alternatives to CORBA

Post by Michael Baue » Fri, 21 Jun 2002 21:20:46

Hello all,

i am currently researching for some object-oriented communications mechanism
in the following environment:
There are 4 to 8 Nodes, partly standard PC/Notebooks and partly embedded
controller (about 200MHz PowerPC, 50 Meg RAM). All systems are running
under Linux. Each node offers some functionality that the other nodes want
to use.
I want to achieve a maximum of flixibility for the software, meaning that
any software can run on any component without needing modification.

I think that CORBA is a viable solution to this task, but i'm looking for
all other kinds of solutions, too.
So if you have knowledge of other mechanisms (e.g. (XML-) RPC comes to mind
but AFAIK it quite lacks the object-orientation and doesnt offer a decent
adressing scheme) i would be interested in your suggstions.

Another question is the state of CORBA regarding the embedded controller. I
think it should be possible to run CORBA on these controllers, but i did
not find concrete numbers of ressource consumption of CORBA. So if you have
any pointers i would be thankful ;)

cu, Mike

Embedded CORBA / Alternatives to CORBA

Post by Brad Balfou » Sat, 22 Jun 2002 01:45:31

Michael,

Quote:> i am currently researching for some object-oriented communications
> mechanism in the following environment:
> There are 4 to 8 Nodes, partly standard PC/Notebooks and partly
> embedded controller (about 200MHz PowerPC, 50 Meg RAM). All systems
> are running under Linux. Each node offers some functionality that
> the other nodes want to use.
> I want to achieve a maximum of flixibility for the software, meaning
> that any software can run on any component without needing
> modification.

This sounds like an ideal appilication for an embedded CORBA orb.

Quote:> I think that CORBA is a viable solution to this task, but i'm
> looking for all other kinds of solutions, too.
> So if you have knowledge of other mechanisms (e.g. (XML-) RPC comes
> to mind but AFAIK it quite lacks the object-orientation and doesnt
> offer a decent adressing scheme) i would be interested in your
> suggstions.

> Another question is the state of CORBA regarding the embedded
> controller. I think it should be possible to run CORBA on these
> controllers, but i did not find concrete numbers of ressource
> consumption of CORBA. So if you have any pointers i would be
> thankful ;)

Check out our product: ORBexpress at http://www.ois.com/
If you are interested in performance info, check out:
http://www.ois.com/products/prod-6.asp

Quote:> cu, Mike

Thanks,
Brad
--
Brad Balfour, Objective Interface Systems, Inc. (www.ois.com)
703/295.6533(office)   703/346.6033(cell)   703/295.6501(fax)

Post by Malcolm Spen » Wed, 26 Jun 2002 07:40:26

> Hello all,

> i am currently researching for some object-oriented communications mechanism
> in the following environment:
> There are 4 to 8 Nodes, partly standard PC/Notebooks and partly embedded
> controller (about 200MHz PowerPC, 50 Meg RAM). All systems are running
> under Linux. Each node offers some functionality that the other nodes want
> to use.
> I want to achieve a maximum of flixibility for the software, meaning that
> any software can run on any component without needing modification.

> I think that CORBA is a viable solution to this task, but i'm looking for
> all other kinds of solutions, too.
> So if you have knowledge of other mechanisms (e.g. (XML-) RPC comes to mind
> but AFAIK it quite lacks the object-orientation and doesnt offer a decent
> adressing scheme) i would be interested in your suggstions.

> Another question is the state of CORBA regarding the embedded controller. I
> think it should be possible to run CORBA on these controllers, but i did
> not find concrete numbers of ressource consumption of CORBA. So if you have
> any pointers i would be thankful ;)

> cu, Mike

Hi Mike check out www.theaceorb.com to see if it can meet your needs.
TAO is used in many embedded systems. We have a strong relationship
with IBM, they funded the port of TAO on Regatta etc.

regards Malcolm
Director of Business Development
OCI St. Louis MO ph 314-579-0066 ext 206
Commercial support for TAO

Embedded CORBA / Alternatives to CORBA

Post by Bill Lloy » Wed, 10 Jul 2002 04:57:13

Because everyone else has "product-plug-orrhea"

Let me point out Orbix/E from IONA:

http://www.iona.com/products/orbix-e.htm

Which is available in C, C++, and Java, and which is quite a bit smaller
than TAO from a resource consumption point of view.

-Bill

Quote:> Hello all,

> i am currently researching for some object-oriented communications
mechanism
> in the following environment:
> There are 4 to 8 Nodes, partly standard PC/Notebooks and partly embedded
> controller (about 200MHz PowerPC, 50 Meg RAM). All systems are running
> under Linux. Each node offers some functionality that the other nodes want
> to use.
> I want to achieve a maximum of flixibility for the software, meaning that
> any software can run on any component without needing modification.

> I think that CORBA is a viable solution to this task, but i'm looking for
> all other kinds of solutions, too.
> So if you have knowledge of other mechanisms (e.g. (XML-) RPC comes to
mind
> but AFAIK it quite lacks the object-orientation and doesnt offer a decent
> adressing scheme) i would be interested in your suggstions.

> Another question is the state of CORBA regarding the embedded controller.
> think it should be possible to run CORBA on these controllers, but i did
> not find concrete numbers of ressource consumption of CORBA. So if you
have
> any pointers i would be thankful ;)

> cu, Mike

1. Looking for CORBA-compliant solutions to passing embedded null object references via CORBA...

There is no problem. CORBA "nil" object references are mapped to Java
nulls. Anywhere an object reference is valid, a "nil" (and thus null)
reference is valid.

NB: This ONLY applies to CORBA _objects_, not to other types that get
mapped to Java objects. Structs, typecodes, etc can never be null.

If your ORB is choking on nulls for object references, then it is
broken.

- Raz

2. Difference between HP 5L and HP 5L Xtra??

3. CORBA, CORBA, CORBA

4. Pix: 2 addresses for 1 interface

5. Java Sockets or CORBA Alternative???

6. ==software list==

7. Is CORBA an alternative to COM?

8. RedRat2

9. sharing structures between corba and non-corba source

10. ANNOUNCE: Remoting.Corba 1.2 - CORBA/IIOP Support for .NET

11. strange corba marshal error org.omg.CORBA.MARSHAL

12. Orbix 3.0.1 corba client wants to communicate with VisiBroker 4.5 corba

13. CORBA 2.4.x compliance w.r.t. messaging changes in CORBA core.