ANNOUNCE: Orbix 2000 beta program

Post by Steve Vinosk » Wed, 20 Oct 1999 04:00:00

I am very pleased to announce a beta program for Orbix 2000, IONA's
next-generation CORBA-based platform and part of the new IONA iPortal
Suite. (I apologize in advance for posting what may seem to be marketing
goo to our beloved comp.object.corba, but given the large number of
purely technical postings I've made here over the years, please forgive
me just this once. :-) I can assure you that what follows does not come
from a marketing brochure, but instead is something I've personally
written to let you know about Orbix 2000.)

Orbix 2000 is a CORBA 2.3 compliant ORB, supporting features such as the
POA, DynAny, and Objects by Value, and also including some features of
CORBA 3.0, such as Asynchronous Method Invocation (AMI), Policy-based
Quality of Service (QoS), and (in the GA version) an implementation of
the OMG Persistent State Service (PSS).

Orbix 2000 is based on IONA's patent-pending Adaptive Runtime Technology
(ART). (ART was first publicly mentioned in Michi's and my book,
"Advanced CORBA Programming with C++," because we used a prerelease
version of Orbix 2000 to test the example code in the book.) ART is a
highly-modular next-generation ORB architecture that moves functionality
traditionally crammed into the ORB core out into dynamically-loadable
plug-ins. Plug-ins are used to implement functions such as object
adapters, transports such as GIOP/IIOP, shared memory, multicast, and
Simple Object Access Protocol (SOAP), security interceptors, transaction
interceptors, Portable Interceptors, DynAny, configuration mechanisms,
logging mechanisms, and PSS database drivers. Plug-ins dynamically
extend the ORB Core by being loaded on the fly, allowing applications to
be (re)configured at run time without the need for recompilation or
relinking. This highly extensible ORB architecture is carefully crafted
in a way that makes for a very scalable, flexible, and adaptable ORB
that does not compromise performance.

The Orbix 2000 beta also features scalable services such as the OMG
Interoperable Naming Service (INS), Interface Repository, and a
centralized Configuration Service for easy deployment and management of
groups of related ORB-based applications. The Orbix 2000 Locator
service, which enables POA migration among groups of servers without
client service interruption, uses separate Activator daemons distributed
across multiple hosts to enable centralized server management. All
services are hosted over PSS, allowing you to easily configure them at
deployment time to use one of a set of various datastore mechanisms.

The Orbix 2000 internal interfaces are specified in OMG IDL, including
the plug-in interfaces. We intend to eventually make these plug-in
interfaces available in a Plug-in Developer's Kit (PDK) that will allow
you to plug your own functionality into existing applications without
recompiling or relinking them.

Naturally, Orbix 2000 interoperates and coexists with Orbix (3.0.1 or
greater), and we intend to continue supporting the Orbix 3.x line for
several more years because of the huge number of successful production
applications that you have already developed and deployed using it.

Orbix 2000 beta is for C++ and it supports Solaris 2.6, HP-UX 11.0,
Window NT 4.0 SP3, and Linux Redhat 6.0 on Intel. More platforms are
being added for the General Availability release in Q1 2000. A Java
version of Orbix 2000 will follow shortly thereafter.

I am extremely proud of this architecture and product, and I want you to
give it a try. There is still room to join the Orbix 2000 beta program,
for which you can find more details at the IONA Web site at
<http://www.iona-iportal.com/>.

--steve

Steve Vinoski                         vinoski at iona.com
Chief Architect                            1-800-ORBIX-4U
IONA Technologies, Inc.             Waltham, MA USA 02451
200 West St.          http://www.iona.com/hyplan/vinoski/
Copyright 1999 Stephen B. Vinoski. All Rights Reserved.

Post by Bill Janss » Wed, 20 Oct 1999 04:00:00

   ART is a
   highly-modular next-generation ORB architecture that moves functionality
   traditionally crammed into the ORB core out into dynamically-loadable
   plug-ins. Plug-ins are used to implement functions such as object
   adapters, transports such as GIOP/IIOP, shared memory, multicast, and
   Simple Object Access Protocol (SOAP), security interceptors, transaction
   interceptors, Portable Interceptors, DynAny, configuration mechanisms,
   logging mechanisms, and PSS database drivers.

Congratulations -- definitely the right way to go!  (Though I'd be
interested in seeing the patent application, since we've been doing
this in ILU since 1991.)

Looks like a nice product, Steve.

Bill

--

 Xerox Palo Alto Research Center, 3333 Coyote Hill Rd, Palo Alto, CA  94304

Post by Steinar Ban » Thu, 21 Oct 1999 04:00:00

> I am very pleased to announce a beta program for Orbix 2000, IONA's
> next-generation CORBA-based platform and part of the new IONA
> iPortal Suite. (I apologize in advance for posting what may seem to
> be marketing goo to our beloved comp.object.corba, but given the
> large number of purely technical postings I've made here over the
> years, please forgive me just this once. :-)

I guess we can cut the proud father a little slack.  Congratulations! :-)

ANNOUNCE: Orbix 2000 beta program

Post by Jon Hugh » Thu, 21 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> Plug-ins are used to implement functions such as object
> adapters, transports such as GIOP/IIOP, shared memory, multicast, and
> Simple Object Access Protocol (SOAP)

Is SOAP actually implemented or is it an example of what can be done with
Plug-ins?

Quote:> Asynchronous Method Invocation (AMI)

Is this another term for Time In dependant Invocation (TII)? Is AMI based
on a full Corba Message Service?

Jon Hughes, Clifton, UK

Post by Christian Groov » Thu, 21 Oct 1999 04:00:00

> I am very pleased to announce a beta program for Orbix 2000, IONA's
> next-generation CORBA-based platform and part of the new IONA iPortal
> Suite. (I apologize in advance for posting what may seem to be marketing

> --
> Steve Vinoski                         vinoski at iona.com
> Chief Architect                            1-800-ORBIX-4U
> IONA Technologies, Inc.             Waltham, MA USA 02451
> 200 West St.          http://www.iona.com/hyplan/vinoski/
> Copyright 1999 Stephen B. Vinoski. All Rights Reserved.

Great, maybe we should see the posting as a reaction to the
advertising by Inprise ;-)

(1) Does the Orbix also provide for the GIOP1.1 protocol.
I am interested in the support fragmented request messages ?

(2) Also the deffered request are also interesting. Does
this ORB also has support for it ???

or let's say: is there any ORB out there, that provide
for those CORBA 2.2 (or earlier) features.

Thanks in advance.
C. Groove

ANNOUNCE: Orbix 2000 beta program

Post by Douglas C. Schmi » Thu, 21 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Hi Christian,

Quote:>(1) Does the Orbix also provide for the GIOP1.1 protocol.
>I am interested in the support fragmented request messages ?

>(2) Also the deffered request are also interesting. Does
>this ORB also has support for it ???

>or let's say: is there any ORB out there, that provide
>for those CORBA 2.2 (or earlier) features.

Sure, there are a number of ORBs that implement these standard
features now (e.g., TAO, ORBacus, MICO).  I recommend you check out

http://www.cs.wustl.edu/~schmidt/corba-products.html

for URLs to the various providers of these ORBs.

Take care,

        Doug
--
Dr. Douglas C. Schmidt, Associate Professor
Department of Computer Science, Washington University

Post by Aman S Kohl » Fri, 22 Oct 1999 04:00:00

> (1) Does the Orbix also provide for the GIOP1.1 protocol.
> I am interested in the support fragmented request messages ?

> (2) Also the deffered request are also interesting. Does
> this ORB also has support for it ???

> or let's say: is there any ORB out there, that provide
> for those CORBA 2.2 (or earlier) features.

Orbix2000 is CORBA 2.3 implementation, containing some features of (the
still evolving) CORBA 3.0 spec.  It supports GIOP 1.2 and whole host of
other CORBA 2.3 features.

<plug>

A full feature list and download area can be
        http://www.iona-iportal.com/suite/orbix2000.htm

</plug>

Quote:

> Thanks in advance.
> C. Groove

ANNOUNCE: Orbix 2000 beta program

Post by Francisco Monteir » Fri, 22 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Many of the CORBA 2.3 functions are available using JavaORB a free ORB
implementation. Check it out it does work.

Francisco

> > I am very pleased to announce a beta program for Orbix 2000, IONA's
> > next-generation CORBA-based platform and part of the new IONA iPortal
> > Suite. (I apologize in advance for posting what may seem to be marketing

> > --
> > Steve Vinoski                         vinoski at iona.com
> > Chief Architect                            1-800-ORBIX-4U
> > IONA Technologies, Inc.             Waltham, MA USA 02451
> > 200 West St.          http://www.iona.com/hyplan/vinoski/
> > Copyright 1999 Stephen B. Vinoski. All Rights Reserved.

> Great, maybe we should see the posting as a reaction to the
> advertising by Inprise ;-)

> (1) Does the Orbix also provide for the GIOP1.1 protocol.
> I am interested in the support fragmented request messages ?

> (2) Also the deffered request are also interesting. Does
> this ORB also has support for it ???

> or let's say: is there any ORB out there, that provide
> for those CORBA 2.2 (or earlier) features.

> Thanks in advance.
> C. Groove

ANNOUNCE: Orbix 2000 beta program

Post by Francisco Monteir » Fri, 22 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Many of the CORBA 2.3 functions are available using JavaORB a free ORB
implementation. Check it out it does work.

Francisco

> > I am very pleased to announce a beta program for Orbix 2000, IONA's
> > next-generation CORBA-based platform and part of the new IONA iPortal
> > Suite. (I apologize in advance for posting what may seem to be marketing

> > --
> > Steve Vinoski                         vinoski at iona.com
> > Chief Architect                            1-800-ORBIX-4U
> > IONA Technologies, Inc.             Waltham, MA USA 02451
> > 200 West St.         http://www.iona.com/hyplan/vinoski/
> > Copyright 1999 Stephen B. Vinoski. All Rights Reserved.

> Great, maybe we should see the posting as a reaction to the
> advertising by Inprise ;-)

> (1) Does the Orbix also provide for the GIOP1.1 protocol.
> I am interested in the support fragmented request messages ?

> (2) Also the deffered request are also interesting. Does
> this ORB also has support for it ???

> or let's say: is there any ORB out there, that provide
> for those CORBA 2.2 (or earlier) features.

> Thanks in advance.
> C. Groove

ANNOUNCE: Orbix 2000 beta program

Post by Dieter Maure » Fri, 22 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> Orbix 2000 is based on IONA's patent-pending Adaptive Runtime Technology
> (ART). ...
> ... ART is a
> highly-modular next-generation ORB architecture that moves functionality
> traditionally crammed into the ORB core out into dynamically-loadable
> plug-ins.

It is really astonishing for what widely used concepts patents are
awarded.

I feel that I must more strongly support the anti software patent efforts.

- Dieter

Post by Patrick McGleeno » Sat, 23 Oct 1999 04:00:00

> > Orbix 2000 is based on IONA's patent-pending Adaptive Runtime Technology
> > (ART). ...
> > ... ART is a
> > highly-modular next-generation ORB architecture that moves functionality
> > traditionally crammed into the ORB core out into dynamically-loadable
> > plug-ins.

> It is really astonishing for what widely used concepts patents are
> awarded.

> I feel that I must more strongly support the anti software patent efforts.

> - Dieter

Maybe they should have named it Fast Adaptive Runtime Technology, it would
have gone well with some of their other acronyms - ie POOP ;)

Patrick

ANNOUNCE: Orbix 2000 beta program

Post by Jon Hugh » Sat, 23 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> It is really astonishing for what widely used concepts patents are
> awarded.

Well said.

Quote:> I feel that I must more strongly support the anti software patent
> efforts.

URL?

Jon Hughes, Clifton, UK

Post by Steve Vinosk » Sat, 23 Oct 1999 04:00:00

> > Orbix 2000 is based on IONA's patent-pending Adaptive Runtime Technology
> > (ART). ...
> > ... ART is a
> > highly-modular next-generation ORB architecture that moves functionality
> > traditionally crammed into the ORB core out into dynamically-loadable
> > plug-ins.
> It is really astonishing for what widely used concepts patents are
> awarded.

> I feel that I must more strongly support the anti software patent efforts.

Please give me a break. Why post a message like this when you have absolutely
no idea what the patents cover? As Bill Janssen said, he's been developing
pluggable ORBs since 1991, and I independently did my first multiprotocol ORB
in 1993. As IONA's Chief Architect, I must approve all of IONA's patent
applications, and I can assure you that something attempting to patent ORB
pluggability would not get past me.

I can also assure you that what the patents cover are very new ideas for which
our lawyers performed an extremely far-reaching patent search. Submitting
patents is expensive, so to blindly submit a "widely used concept" for a patent
would not only be showing either an extreme lack of integrity or a huge amount
of ignorance (or both), but would also be a foolish waste of time and money.

You may or may not like the idea of software patents, but they are a reality
and they are needed to stay competitive.

--steve

Steve Vinoski                         vinoski at iona.com

Post by Stefan Seefel » Sat, 23 Oct 1999 04:00:00

> You may or may not like the idea of software patents, but they are a reality
> and they are needed to stay competitive.

Sorry, I can't resist. This is simply not true. Look at what excellent software
gets produced around the FSF/Gnu and similar organizations. What is it what all
those OSS projects use to get/stay competitive ?

Stefan

Stefan Seefeld
Departement de Physique
Universite de Montreal

ANNOUNCE: Orbix 2000 beta program

Post by Michael Waclawicze » Sat, 23 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Stefan,

I sense that you would like to continue the conversation on this topic!
Please accept the fact that we will not be discussing our patent application
any further.  Neidless to say, let me reemphasize that we would like to
continue our discussions with IONA in conect of Orbix 2000.

Thanks,
Michael

Dr. Michael Waclawiczek
Senior Product Manager
Orbix 2000
IONA Technologies

> > You may or may not like the idea of software patents, but they are a
reality
> > and they are needed to stay competitive.

> Sorry, I can't resist. This is simply not true. Look at what excellent
software
> gets produced around the FSF/Gnu and similar organizations. What is it
what all
> those OSS projects use to get/stay competitive ?

> Stefan

> Stefan Seefeld
> Departement de Physique
> Universite de Montreal

>       ...ich hab' noch einen Koffer in Berlin...

1. Orbix 2000 Public Beta Program

Steve Vinoski has recently announced IONA's public beta program for Orbix
2000 in this newsgroup.  If you would like to evaluate this exciting new
product, please register for the beta at
http://www.iona-iportal.com/suite/orbcontact.htm.  For technical information
on Orbix 2000, take a look at
http://www.iona-iportal.com/suite/orbix2000.htm.

Regards,
Michael Waclawiczek
Orbix 2000 Product Manager

2. Drive image app for mirrored drives

3. ANNOUNCE: Orbix 2000 v1.0 now available

4. Beeper Hack

5. Orbix 2000 for Java Beta Announcement

6. MicroVax 2000

7. Orbix 2000 Beta for Linux : Configuration Script is Crashing

8. DSL Quality in NYC

9. Orbix 2000 Beta: Cannot Start Configuration Repository

10. Orbix 2000 & Orbix 2.3

11. Orbix 3.0.1 clients to Orbix 2000 server

12. Problems with Iona Orbix 2000 (2.0) + Comet 2000 + VB 6.0 + Callbacks

13. Orbix 2000 + comet 2000 + VB + Callbacks