Corba compliance vs compatible

Post by Amitava Rah » Fri, 06 Dec 1996 04:00:00

Hi,

I have seen some products advertised as Corba compliant and others
advertised as CORBA compatible. Some of them are advertised as both: for
example SAP r/3 is advertised as OLE compliant and CORBA compatible.

I am aware of OMG's definition
of compliance but I am not sure how CORBA compatible is defined as.
Is this a marketing ploy or are there precise definitions of Corba
compatiblity.

Thank you for your help
-Amitava

Post by Larry Klin » Tue, 10 Dec 1996 04:00:00

> Hi,

> I have seen some products advertised as Corba compliant and others
> advertised as CORBA compatible. Some of them are advertised as both: for
> example SAP r/3 is advertised as OLE compliant and CORBA compatible.

> I am aware of OMG's definition
> of compliance but I am not sure how CORBA compatible is defined as.
> Is this a marketing ploy or are there precise definitions of Corba
> compatiblity.

> Thank you for your help
> -AmitavaIMHO CORBA compatibility is a marketing term that could be

different for anyone who uses it.  As you state CORBA compliance
is defined in the CORBA spec.  I have never seen the word
compilibility used in the CORBA spec however.  I would suggest
talking to the vendor of this product to get a precise
definition.

--

Dynamic Network Solutions, Inc. phone:  1-415-536-1611 (direct)
160 Spear Street, Suite 320     phone:  1-415-536-1600 (main)

1. Persistent references vs CORBA 2.3 compliance

It may do so, but this functionality is not required by
the standard, as your quote shows:

Exactly. The component responsible for on demand-activation is
usually called Implementation Repository and is not standardized
nor is its exact funcionality specified. In CORBA 2.3, the term
does not even occur. Most ORBs provide such a service, though, but
that is vendor-dependent. If no such service is provided, processes
hosting POAs with a PERSISTENT life span policy are not (and cannot
be) started differently than other processes hosting servants for
CORBA objects.

There is a useful chapter in H&V on this topic.

Regards, Gerald Brose.
--

FU Berlin        (for PGP key see:) http://www.inf.fu-berlin.de/~brose
Institut f. Informatik              Ph-one:        (++49-30) 838-75112

2. Pointless Threads From Hell

3. CORBA 2.4.x compliance w.r.t. messaging changes in CORBA core.

4. OT: NOVUS ORDO SECLORUM?

5. CORBA vs. DCOM vs. DCE vs. RMI vs. ...

6. Client Access API examples with Delphi ?

7. Please Help: DCE vs Corba vs DCOM vs MQseries

8. Creating a background agent to detach and then save in a different directory

9. CORBA compliance !

10. CORBA 2.3, Java 1.2, Compliance and Required Implementations

11. CORBA compliance tests

12. CORBA compliance

13. CORBA compliance of SOM v2.1 and v3.0?