CORBA Management API from Lumos (Corbaman)?

CORBA Management API from Lumos (Corbaman)?

Post by rodr.. » Thu, 31 May 2001 04:12:19

Hi,

I just stumbled across the web site sponsored by Lumos:
http://www.corbaman.com

It looks like Lumos (http://www.lumos.com) is trying
to use the Open Community method of developing
a Management API standard in CORBA.  They even have
a free reference implementation with source code which
uses the TAO ORB.

I think that it looks like a very good idea, since it
would be very nice use CORBA instead of things
like SNMP and SS7/TL1 for network management.

Has anyone seen this stuff before?
Is it the right approach?
--
Craig Rodrigues
http://www.gis.net/~craigr

CORBA Management API from Lumos (Corbaman)?

Post by Vinay Avasth » Thu, 31 May 2001 16:42:48

In my view this may be a good idea for higher management layers but
for element management layers, replacing SNMP with CORBA may put
too much of a overhead on the network traffic.

VA

Post by Thomas Qu » Thu, 31 May 2001 17:46:37

> Hi,

> I just stumbled across the web site sponsored by Lumos:
> http://www.corbaman.com

> It looks like Lumos (http://www.lumos.com) is trying
> to use the Open Community method of developing
> a Management API standard in CORBA.  They even have
> a free reference implementation with source code which
> uses the TAO ORB.

> I think that it looks like a very good idea, since it
> would be very nice use CORBA instead of things
> like SNMP and SS7/TL1 for network management.

> Has anyone seen this stuff before?
> Is it the right approach?
> --
> Craig Rodrigues
> http://www.gis.net/~craigr

Hi Craig,

have you had a look into JMX, the followup of the Java Management API? It
provides a infrastructure for management issues, and also has connectors
to both CORBA and SNMP. Haven't had a deeper look, yet, but what I've seen
seemed to be pretty powerful.

Check it out under http://java.sun.com/products/JavaManagement.

tom
--
thomas quas        | "The truth indeed has never been preached by the Buddha,

                   |    -- Lamkara Sutra --

CORBA Management API from Lumos (Corbaman)?

Post by Cary O'Bri » Thu, 31 May 2001 22:12:41

Quote:>In my view this may be a good idea for higher management layers but
>for element management layers, replacing SNMP with CORBA may put
>too much of a overhead on the network traffic.

Why?  Is BER that much better than GIOP/IIOP at packing data?  Or is
it the TCP overhead verses UDP overhead?  It seems to me that in some
cases CORBA would win -- particularly over something like walking a
big SNMP table element by element.

Plus with CORBA you get function call semantics, not just
set-get-this-parameter[-set] or add-a-row-to-a-table semantics.  This
might allow the device vendor to expose the entire management
interface via CORBA instead of just filling out the mib-2 interface
table and letting the rest of the configuration be done by a serial or
telnet connection, or an ad-hoc set of web pages.

Ok, I know this doesn't mean much, but as for code size, libsnmp.a
from ucd-snmp is about the same size (1300K) as libomniORB3.a from
omniORB.

But, I suppose, one place where SNMP wins would be in sending a TRAP.
CORBA would require setting up a TCP connection first.

-- cary

CORBA Management API from Lumos (Corbaman)?

Post by Dario Fernande » Thu, 31 May 2001 23:41:11

Yes,
We are using Lumos and Orbix for an Element Manager and it
works fine. Most of the TL1 and SNMP resources remain hided
Cheers.

> Hi,

> I just stumbled across the web site sponsored by Lumos:
> http://www.corbaman.com

> It looks like Lumos (http://www.lumos.com) is trying
> to use the Open Community method of developing
> a Management API standard in CORBA.  They even have
> a free reference implementation with source code which
> uses the TAO ORB.

> I think that it looks like a very good idea, since it
> would be very nice use CORBA instead of things
> like SNMP and SS7/TL1 for network management.

> Has anyone seen this stuff before?
> Is it the right approach?
> --
> Craig Rodrigues
> http://www.gis.net/~craigr

        Dario Fernandez Bele?a
        Lucent Technologies Spain (Bell Labs)
        Ronda de Valdecarrizo 14, Tres Cantos, Madrid 28760

                      "Presta el oido a todos y a pocos la voz."
                                                  (Shakespeare)

CORBA Management API from Lumos (Corbaman)?

Post by Ruslan Shevchenk » Sat, 02 Jun 2001 03:27:34

Just curios, what with CORBA/TMN Internetworking RFP ?
telecom/97-09-04

Ruslan Shevchenko
GradSoft: Chief Software Architector
http://www.gradsoft.com.ua/eng/

Post by Michi Hennin » Sat, 02 Jun 2001 07:14:44

> Just curios, what with CORBA/TMN Internetworking RFP ?
> telecom/97-09-04

I believe that it's fallen out of favor (and, as far as I know, there no longer
any commercial implementations available). The problem with the entire
JIDM idea is that, while you can automatically translate GDMO into IDL and
vice versa, the resulting interfaces tend to look like a dog's breakfast,
so no-one wants to use them.

That's the usual problem with generated translations -- to work around all
the nitty-gritty namespace conflicts and data type differences, you have
to use too many ugly hacks (such as name mangling and making things dependent
on ordering) that, while technically correct, the approach is ergonomically
inpalatable.

All the successful bridges that I have seen are domain-specific, that is,
use hand-translated APIs and insight into the problem space to come up
with APIs that people actually like to use.

                                                        Cheers,

                                                                Michi.
--
Michi Henning                             +61 7 3324 9633
Chief CORBA Scientist                     +61 4 1118 2700 (mobile)

Post by Vinay Avasth » Sat, 02 Jun 2001 12:55:49

> >In my view this may be a good idea for higher management layers but
> >for element management layers, replacing SNMP with CORBA may put
> >too much of a overhead on the network traffic.

> Why?  Is BER that much better than GIOP/IIOP at packing data?  Or is
> it the TCP overhead verses UDP overhead?  It seems to me that in some
> cases CORBA would win -- particularly over something like walking a
> big SNMP table element by element.

Network performance is definitely an issue. In SNMP model systems
work on a understanding that operations traffic is higher priority
than the management traffic. Also with SNMPv2C getBulk primitive
even walking over tables results in lesser traffic.

Quote:> Plus with CORBA you get function call semantics, not just
> set-get-this-parameter[-set] or add-a-row-to-a-table semantics.  This
> might allow the device vendor to expose the entire management
> interface via CORBA instead of just filling out the mib-2 interface
> table and letting the rest of the configuration be done by a serial or
> telnet connection, or an ad-hoc set of web pages.

I agree that SNMP does not provide function call semantics and it is
a serious limitation.

Quote:> Ok, I know this doesn't mean much, but as for code size, libsnmp.a
> from ucd-snmp is about the same size (1300K) as libomniORB3.a from
> omniORB.

Code size is really not an issue. It is the amount of network traffic
that is generated by either of the responses.

Quote:> But, I suppose, one place where SNMP wins would be in sending a TRAP.
> CORBA would require setting up a TCP connection first.

My other reason for making that statement if purely from network element
support point of view. The same reason why CMIP is not very
popular compared to SNMP.

Every network element would have a SNMP agent running by default.

VA

CORBA Management API from Lumos (Corbaman)?

Post by rodr.. » Sun, 03 Jun 2001 12:30:57

:>

:> >In my view this may be a good idea for higher management layers but
:> >for element management layers, replacing SNMP with CORBA may put
:> >too much of a overhead on the network traffic.
:> >
:>
:> Why?  Is BER that much better than GIOP/IIOP at packing data?  Or is
:> it the TCP overhead verses UDP overhead?  It seems to me that in some
:> cases CORBA would win -- particularly over something like walking a
:> big SNMP table element by element.
:>

: Network performance is definitely an issue. In SNMP model systems
: work on a understanding that operations traffic is higher priority
: than the management traffic. Also with SNMPv2C getBulk primitive
: even walking over tables results in lesser traffic.

: Code size is really not an issue. It is the amount of network traffic
: that is generated by either of the responses.

Hi,

Although TCP is the transport protocol specified for
IIOP (GIOP over TCP), it is possible to send CORBA GIOP
messages over other transports (provided that the ORB you
use supports the protocol).

For example, there has been some recent research done to implement
GIOP over UDP in the TAO ORB:
http://www.cs.wustl.edu/~schmidt/ACE_wrappers/TAO/examples/PluggableU...

Do you think that if CORBA messages were transported over UDP
datagrams that it would make a compelling complement to SNMP?

Thanks.
--
Craig Rodrigues
http://www.gis.net/~craigr

1. Can I use any port number with SNMP management api ?

It is not possible to open a network connection on a specific port
using the Windows SNMP management api SnmpMgrOpen (I think, in this
case, all requests are sent on default port 161). Is there a way to
change this default ? Can I use an alternative api ? I really have a
requirement for using port numbers other than 161.

Thanks in advance,
Besim

2. tab tab

3. Is Microsoft SNMP Management API thread safe?

4. Publishing Nested Views?

5. SNMP Management API on NT

6. Win Server 2003 Services

7. SNMP Management APIs for WIN32.

8. Model 16 vertical hold

9. Jmapi(Java Management API) source code

10. How do I do Disk Management from the Win32 API

11. Disk management API calls

12. Open Document Management API

13. Knowledge Management/Document Management/Content Management Software for Linux