Error Handling Services/Architecture

Post by Michi Hennin » Wed, 20 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> I am looking for advice on how to handle error reporting within a CORBA-based
> application.

> What we have today is a log file class in both the client and server which
> writes error messages to text files on the local disk. The log file class is
> local to each process, so we create a file per running client and one per
> running server. There are multiple clients to a server; each of the files is
> uniquely identified by either the server name or the terminal the client is
> running on. Each running server has a unique 'name' even if multiple instances
> of an executable are running.

> As we scale up to several thousand users some of the staff here are concerned
> about the number of files we could create. One of the suggestions is to have
> a CORBA error logging server(ice) which both the clients and the servers use
> one way messages to communicate with. Future consideration is SNMP error
> systems and interfaces into products like OpenView etc.

I suggest you have a look at the Telecom Logging Service. It sounds like
a close fit for your requirements.

        ftp://ftp.omg.org/pub/docs/telecom/98-12-02.pdf

                                                        Cheers,

                                                                Michi.
Copyright 1999 Michi Henning. All rights reserved.
--
Michi Henning               +61 7 3236 1633
Triodia Technologies        +61 4 1118 2700 (mobile)

AUSTRALIA                   http://www.triodia.com/staff/michi-henning.html

1. Web Services error handling

I have created a module that will be accessed via web services.  However I
also want to be able to call if from a standalone program.  I am stuck
thinking about error returns from database calls, which usually have a 'or
die' error processing routine, which is fine for a standalone situation.
When the module is called via web services I want to call a fault routine
rather than the 'or die' routine for standalone access, but I can't quite
figure out how to accomplish this in Perl.

e.g.

databaseaccess->function (string)
    or die (didn't work);  #standalone situation
if (webservices call) load fault structure and return. #web services
situation, returned to client program

I'm sure I'm not the first to come across this, and I'm sure there is an
elegant way to accomplish it.  Can someone point me in the right direction?

TIA

Bernard Golden

2. Connection has -1 ports

3. Mial::Mailer Date Stamp and Error Handling using SMTP Service

4. windows me difficulties

5. Windows "SNMP service" is an AgentX architecture?

6. Seeking new maintainer(s) for the CORBA FAQ

7. windows open service architecture or WOSA/XFS

8. New Finder Event in OS8?

9. MSN Communication services handling the stress

10. How do OTS and Concurrency services handle disconnects?

11. interrupt handling,1) Hangs,2)waits,3)services, 3 different cases happens in different system..

12. Event Service, Notification Service and Messaging Service