concurrency and iona orbix 2000

Post by Danny Nielse » Sun, 25 Nov 2001 06:29:23

Hi
First of all I'm a Danish (call that an excuse for my English :))
I have startet programming CORBA on the iona orbix 2000 platform and have
run into problems when starting to use concurrency on the serverside. What I
am going to do are to spit an task into two other tasks and forward these to
two other hosts. But thats no problem. The problem is when two requests
arrive at the same time. They are supposed to run concurrent. That means
that one host at the same time should take care of more than one request.
How do I handle this?

Post by Sony Anto » Fri, 30 Nov 2001 17:09:19

> Hi
> First of all I'm a Danish (call that an excuse for my English :))
> I have startet programming CORBA on the iona orbix 2000 platform and have
> run into problems when starting to use concurrency on the serverside. What I
> am going to do are to spit an task into two other tasks and forward these to
> two other hosts. But thats no problem. The problem is when two requests
> arrive at the same time. They are supposed to run concurrent. That means
> that one host at the same time should take care of more than one request.
> How do I handle this?

Orbix200 by default follows a concurrent model ( The threading policy
for the default poa ORB_CTRL_MODEL ). So you need not to do anything
special at all. If more than one request arrives at the same time,
they will be processed simultaneously. I think orbix2000 has a thread
pool model. There will be 10 threads waiting for requests by default
at any time, in the pool. Also if a 11th request arrives while all the
10 threads are in progress, a new one will be created. ( somebody pl
correct me if I was wrong ).
--sony

concurrency and iona orbix 2000

Post by Danny Nielse » Sun, 02 Dec 2001 09:12:08

Quote:> > Hi
> > First of all I'm a Danish (call that an excuse for my English :))
> > I have startet programming CORBA on the iona orbix 2000 platform and
have
> > run into problems when starting to use concurrency on the serverside.
What I
> > am going to do are to spit an task into two other tasks and forward
these to
> > two other hosts. But thats no problem. The problem is when two requests
> > arrive at the same time. They are supposed to run concurrent. That means
> > that one host at the same time should take care of more than one
request.
> > How do I handle this?

> Orbix200 by default follows a concurrent model ( The threading policy
> for the default poa ORB_CTRL_MODEL ). So you need not to do anything
> special at all. If more than one request arrives at the same time,
> they will be processed simultaneously. I think orbix2000 has a thread
> pool model. There will be 10 threads waiting for requests by default
> at any time, in the pool. Also if a 11th request arrives while all the
> 10 threads are in progress, a new one will be created. ( somebody pl
> correct me if I was wrong ).
> --sony

If two requests arrives at the same time and their object reference are
different, they will both get an thread from the poll and therefore run
concurrent! however, if they share the same reference the first one will be
executed before the secund OR is it up to the programmer to take care of
this problem in the object implementation (means they both run concurrent in
same implementation code)?

Post by Michi Hennin » Mon, 03 Dec 2001 05:21:46

> If two requests arrives at the same time and their object reference are
> different, they will both get an thread from the poll and therefore run
> concurrent! however, if they share the same reference the first one will be
> executed before the secund OR is it up to the programmer to take care of
> this problem in the object implementation (means they both run concurrent in
> same implementation code)?

That depends on your POA policy. If you want to be sure that two requests
for the same object get serialized, choose the SINGLE_THREAD_MODEL policy.
With ORB_CTRL_MODEL, the two requests may be dispatched in parallel (depending
on how the ORB implements ORB_CTRL_MODEL -- for O2K, they *will* be dispatched
in parallel).

                                                        Cheers,

                                                                Michi.
--
Michi Henning                             +61 7 3324 9633
Chief CORBA Scientist                     +61 4 1118 2700 (mobile)

1. Problems with Iona Orbix 2000 (2.0) + Comet 2000 + VB 6.0 + Callbacks

Hello all,
I ve a strange problem with
Orbix 2000 2.0, Comet 2000, Java Corba Server, Vb-Client and Callback.
If running the VB-Client in Visual Basic IDE everything is working
fine, the
callbacks are executed.
Running outside IDE, the callbacks do not work, COMET writes some
loginformation:

[1c7] IT_Marshall : InvokeDCOMRequest/Dispatch - start
[1c7] Operation name is [[1c7] setMainSelection[1c7] ]
[1c7] IT_Marshall : IT_Param2XXXIter:process
[1c7] start critical section
[1c7] critical section Lock
[1c7] critical section Locked!!
[1c7] critical section UnLock
[1c7] critical section UnLocked!!
[1c7] ---dtor ParamElement List 1, still 1 remaining; address is
27364528
[1c7] ---dtor ParamElement List 0, still 0 remaining; address is
27364624
[1c7] IT_Marshall : InvokeDCOMRequest - Unknown Exception (Possible
GPF)
[1c7] OrbixCOMet error : Marshalling Error, Unknown Exception making
DCOM upcall[1c7] DCOMRequester::invokeRequest[1c7]
[137] 27346944 Release(0) 60 IT_CORBAFactory
[137] 27346944 deleteing... 61 IT_CORBAFactory
[137] -- dec object IT_COMInterface [8] -> [7]
[137] 26647152 Release(0) 62 IT_CORBAFactory
[137] 26647152 deleteing... 63 IT_CORBAFactory
[137] -- dec object IT_COMInterface [7] -> [6]
[137] 26647072 Release(0) 64 IT_ORBObject
[137] 26647072 deleteing... 65 IT_ORBObject

And so on. What is the difference, running in VB IDE and outside as
exe?

Thank you in advance.
Best regards.
Michael

2. Voice+Zyx 6.01 probs

3. IONA Orbix 2000 client for Weblogic 6.0 EJB - idl compilation problem

4. Midi merge & SBlive!

5. IONA Orbix 2000 for Java

6. job board or something?

7. orbix c++ questions? (for iona orbix users)

8. Quicktime VR Developer Studio or Nodester?

9. Orbix 2000 & Orbix 2.3

10. Orbix 3.0.1 clients to Orbix 2000 server

11. Orbix 2000 + comet 2000 + VB + Callbacks

12. iona orbix monitoring software

13. Iona Orbix C++ 3.02, demos linking problems with g++