CORBA server executed without activating ROOTPOA

CORBA server executed without activating ROOTPOA

Post by Deep » Mon, 30 Jun 2003 21:41:39

I excuted a CORBA server but forgot to activate the rootPOA.
"ORB->run()" was successful, but when I tried to run client it hangs.

I wanted to know if CORBA specifies any exception to be generated in
such situations(i.e., should ORB->run()throw any exception that
rootPOA has not been activated? Or is it a bug with the product?)

Thanks in advance..
Deepak.

Post by Matthias Ries » Mon, 30 Jun 2003 23:24:38

> I excuted a CORBA server but forgot to activate the rootPOA.
> "ORB->run()" was successful, but when I tried to run client it hangs.

Yes, made this mistake a few times myself. ;-)

Quote:> I wanted to know if CORBA specifies any exception to be generated in
> such situations(i.e., should ORB->run()throw any exception that
> rootPOA has not been activated? Or is it a bug with the product?)

> Thanks in advance..
> Deepak.

To be exact it is not the Root POA you forgot to activate but it's
manager.

The initial state of a POA Manager is "holding", i.e.  it buffers
requests up to an implementation-defined limit n which may well be 0
or any larger number.

If the queue is filled (i.e. you have n clients*), the n + 1th
receives CORBA::TRANSIENT with minor==1.

So judging from what you are writing, your ORB behaves completely
well.

Best regards, Matthias Riese

1. Need to activate RootPOA?

Hi,

In my application I am creating my own POA as a child of RootPOA. I am
activating it with my own POA Manager. Example:

org.omg.CORBA.Object rootPoaObj = orb.resolve_initial_references(
"RootPOA" );
POA rootPOA = POAHelper.narrow( rootPoaObj );
POA ownPOA = rootPOA.create_POA( "xyz", null, null );
ownPOA.the_POAManager().activate();

Is the code above sufficient to let me start using objects in my own POA, or
do I also need to activate the RootPOA? (I am unsure about the
dependency between parent and child POAs, do all the POAs from "my POA"
up to the RootPOA need to be activated to be able to handle requests?)

Cheers
Mike

2. The nature of the beast

3. How to activate corba server???

4. State Diagrams

5. Writing client and Server using only rootPOA

7. Launching a CORBA server from another CORBA server using Orbix

8. Wingate & Iphone

9. Easiest way to call a class on another server (without using Corba) ?

10. possible to start an Orbix-written Corba server WITHOUT orbixd?

11. Activating Scanner without Rebooting

12. Excel 5: How to open a book without activating it?

13. Can I return from task switch without executing the task.